Poll

Should smart start?

Yes
13 (86.7%)
No
2 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?  (Read 15951 times)

Re: Should Smart start at the 2 permanently?
« Reply #105 on: December 01, 2018, 03:21:06 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I'm all in on Smart starting. He and Irving compliment each other and starting Smart is like punching the other team in the mouth at the start of the game. Break their will, and you will win.
I think it would depend on who we're playing.  Probably good against teams where we can start Horford at C.  Probably not against teams like the Sixers where Baynes needs to start at C.

Exactly. TP

« Reply #106 on: December 06, 2018, 10:23:20 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Dismantled the cavs with smart starting
Which would mean something if Lebron was still on the Cavs.  Definitely worth trying but need to see how it works against teams with a pulse.    ;D

Dismantled the knicks with smart starting

« Reply #107 on: December 06, 2018, 10:30:59 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2933
Cough 4-0 since starting Smart and Morris Cough

Only 4 points tonight (with several bad three point shots), but 2 steals and 7 assists to 0 turnovers, all along with consistent energy and intensity all night long.

« Reply #108 on: December 06, 2018, 11:04:32 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I thought about starting a new thread, since my point here isn't specifically about Smart starting, but I'll put it here anyways since it's semi-related.

And my point is, simply, the early returns on splitting up the Irving/Tatum & Hayward/Brown pairings is very encouraging.  Yes, it's only one game, but looking deeper, you'll see each player complements the other in their duo.  Irving makes plays for himself and Tatum, and Hayward makes plays for himself and Brown.  Horford makes plays for all of them.

I have no idea if this rotation is one Brad will settle on, probably not.  But it appears spreading their best players across lineups a bit more has allowed their best players a bit more freedom in the offense.

« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2018, 09:00:04 AM »

Offline The Oracle

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 597
Since moving into the starting lineup 4 games ago Marcus Smart is....

1.  Leading the league in offensive rating at 131.7 when compared to each teams last 4 games.

2.  Leading the league with a 22/1 AST/TO ratio, that's not a misprint 22 assists and only 1 TO.

3.  Smart is posting a very average TS% 55.6% over that same period on a mere 9.8% usage.

4.  Irving's numbers are phenomenal.  O.Rat. 127.9, D.Rat 100, TS% 67% on 29.5% usage.

5.  The C's are +55 points in 98 minutes with Irving/Smart pairing on the floor.

« Reply #110 on: December 07, 2018, 09:08:57 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
It has seemed pretty obvious to me all season long that Smart should have been starting for Brown.  They are both better in their current roles.

I fully expect Hayward to move back into the starting lineup for Morris at some point in the very near future.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #111 on: December 07, 2018, 09:28:52 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
It has seemed pretty obvious to me all season long that Smart should have been starting for Brown.  They are both better in their current roles.

I fully expect Hayward to move back into the starting lineup for Morris at some point in the very near future.

About Hayward, maybe.

But I also think his role as play-maker off the bench has really been good for both the Celtics and his play.   I wouldn't mind him keeping the role this year while still increasing his minutes over time.   

Does anyone still trust Rozier to be the play-maker off  the bench?  An offensive threat, yes.   Just not the guy to run the offense for the rest of the bench players.   

« Reply #112 on: December 07, 2018, 10:25:03 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

About Hayward, maybe.

But I also think his role as play-maker off the bench has really been good for both the Celtics and his play.   I wouldn't mind him keeping the role this year while still increasing his minutes over time.   

Does anyone still trust Rozier to be the play-maker off  the bench?  An offensive threat, yes.   Just not the guy to run the offense for the rest of the bench players.
He can still serve that role, but I actually expect Brown to do much better in that role.  I think that is when Brown is at his most effective, when he can dictate play a lot more.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #113 on: December 07, 2018, 10:27:38 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704

About Hayward, maybe.

He can still serve that role, but I actually expect Brown to do much better in that role.  I think that is when Brown is at his most effective, when he can dictate play a lot more.

Are you inferring Brown can excel as the play maker off the bench? He has awful court vision and poor ball handling skills

« Reply #114 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:05 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Tonight we shined with Smart starting at the 2. The defense and ball flow is clearly better

Would smart be a good move as a starter?

Yes

« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2018, 10:59:40 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
At this point Smart should remain in the starting lineup until the team falters.  No need to mess with the mojo right now.  Hopefully Jaylen Brown can flourish in a bench role during this time. 

The Bucks game on 12/21 will be the first test against elite competition.  On paper I like our current rotation in this match-up.  Hayward and Brown should have a HUGE advantage against the Milwaukee bench.  I would be concerned about diminishing returns on offense if Smart, Rozier, and Morris are all coming off the bench

« Reply #116 on: December 07, 2018, 11:21:58 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the current rotation should remain in place for a while. 

The team looks best when the offense is clearly ordered around Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford, in that order.

Smart and Morris are good complements to the starting unit.

I like Hayward getting to be the main playmaker for the bench, with Rozier, Brown, and Baynes (occasionally Semi / Theis) complementing him.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #117 on: December 07, 2018, 11:59:35 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The team looks best when the offense is clearly ordered around Kyrie, Tatum, and Horford, in that order.

I like Hayward getting to be the main playmaker for the bench, with Rozier, Brown, and Baynes (occasionally Semi / Theis) complementing him.

I agree.  There is more balance to the rotation regarding fit, and not as much overlapping talent. 

« Reply #118 on: December 07, 2018, 12:10:03 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

Yeah. Plus teams get no reprieve with Hayward, Brown, Theis, and Rozier running the second unit.

« Reply #119 on: December 07, 2018, 12:37:57 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I'd say it's currently more like Kyrie, Morris and Tatum in that order.  Horford can hit a bailout 3-pointer or post-up if nothing else is working.  Teams are collapsing on Tatum and I can't argue with that strategy.