Author Topic: I don't get Area21. There. I said it.  (Read 5143 times)

Re: I don't get Area21. There. I said it.
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2018, 01:53:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
i absolutely love it.

It is REAL TV .......not faked and madeup.....

Pure KG. .....

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2018, 01:54:17 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Out of all of them Nate Robinson is the worse. Last night he said you know when they miss the shot that's good defense. Rofl
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2018, 02:20:24 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Join the club.

Its an awkward brofest without anything really substantial.

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2018, 04:20:45 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Join the club.

Its an awkward brofest without anything really substantial.
that describes about 90% of espn and TNT nba programming

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2018, 05:05:03 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
i absolutely love it.

Pure KG. .....

It's about as real as Jersey Shore. Real (cable) TV doesn't exist. If there is a producer, it's not real. TNT doesn't just put a camera in front of KG's face and hope for the best. That would be an absolute disaster (not that it already isn't). It's at least minimally scripted (topics/gimmicks predetermined) and rehearsed. It just looks real because it's terrible because KG isn't an actor.

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2018, 05:28:16 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Pretty much every sports show is terrible and at least this one gets KG paid

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2018, 05:46:28 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Fwiw, I actually like what I've heard from Brent Barry. He is articulate and you can tell he prepares and takes the job seriously. I don't think Anthony did a 'bad' job per se (I watched him for the 1st time last night in that role), but he certainly didn't stand out.

I actually think it's the sideline reports and color commentary that needs work in these broadcasts - which is weird since the latter is what former NBA players eventually sometimes do.

As for Area 21 - I tend to agree with eja. I love love love KG, but there is not much about the show that interests me. I assumed it was just a difference of opinion/personalities.

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2018, 06:05:12 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
Fwiw, I actually like what I've heard from Brent Barry. He is articulate and you can tell he prepares and takes the job seriously. I don't think Anthony did a 'bad' job per se (I watched him for the 1st time last night in that role), but he certainly didn't stand out.

I actually think it's the sideline reports and color commentary that needs work in these broadcasts - which is weird since the latter is what former NBA players eventually sometimes do.

As for Area 21 - I tend to agree with eja. I love love love KG, but there is not much about the show that interests me. I assumed it was just a difference of opinion/personalities.
The color commentary on Players Only too often devolves into "back in the day" stories about what it was like to play in the league rather than actual analysis of what I'm currently watching.  I don't want to hear about how tough things were in 1994 in the middle of a game I actually am invested in - tell me more about the nuances of what I'm watching instead please.

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 06:07:52 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
i absolutely love it.

Pure KG. .....
That's what TV is lol
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 06:22:49 PM »

Offline Billz401

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 101
  • B's Up
The "Players Only" stuff bugs me more.   Those broadcasts are horrific.

Area21 is just unconventional, off the cuff TV.  I can certainly see how its not for everyone.
What does players only mean? Do they mean no broadcasters who didn’t play the game?  What’s the point and isn’t that discrimination?

Its how you get Caron Butler bumbling over all his words whilst doing the first sideline report last night.  That was atrocious!
Also because they've dedicated all the normal pregame guys, play by play and color commentators, as well as sideline reporters to the March madness games. Just when u think TNT broadcasts couldn't get worse, they go and do this haha
everyone got so sensitive after 9-11... thanks alot bin laden

« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 07:25:46 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
I've watched a few of them and enjoyed them.

He's unconventional.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wGVZpKQUsU

LOL dude is SERIOUS in this video. I love it.

There will never be another one like KG. God made him, laughed out loud and turned him loose on the world.

« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 07:28:46 PM »

Online rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325

Area21 is just unconventional, off the cuff TV.  I can certainly see how its not for everyone.
What does players only mean? Do they mean no broadcasters who didn’t play the game?  What’s the point and isn’t that discrimination?

Its how you get Caron Butler bumbling over all his words whilst doing the first sideline report last night.  That was atrocious!
Also because they've dedicated all the normal pregame guys, play by play and color commentators, as well as sideline reporters to the March madness games. Just when u think TNT broadcasts couldn't get worse, they go and do this haha

I'd rather they just grab some local radio/tv broadcast personalities, or some broadcast journalism students from nearby universities.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:38 PM »

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
Love KG
Show is unwatchable .  That said, love Shaq but he and Barkley are tough to take as well.  Kenny Smith is only one of group that has substance in what he says but the other two don't let him talk that much.

« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 10:37:58 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

Brent Barry? Seriously? Dude = snoozefest, imo, lol, but Greg Anthony is awful, as well. I have to say, though, that I absolutely love Area 21. I happened upon a live feed of the show on YouTube during the game, last night, and it was so much better than watching the actual contest, imo, lol. Idk, maybe it's just me, but I love how it's kind of like walking into a barbershop or whatever full of NBA legends just shooting the breeze with a game on in the background. Now if only I could be Wonder Boy, lol. #DreamJob

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 10:39:47 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

It's not until watching those did I realize the importance of the standard dynamics of a broadcast team, which is 1 play-by-play person, and 1-2 color commentators.  With the Players Only broadcasts, it's just 3 color commentators (though technically according to wikipedia, Greg Anthony and Brent Barry are the designated play-by-play person).  Because of the lack of a true play-by-play person, there's alot of awkward silences followed by multiple people speaking up at the same time, just an overall terrible flow.

It's amazing how you don't even notice how guys like Mike Gorman, Kevin Harlan, Mike Breen, etc. carry a broadcast until they're not there.  If the C's decided to do that, could you imagine a broadcast that was just Tommy and Scal and/or Max?

OMG, I texted the exact same thing to my friends last night about how that broadcast made me realize the importance of a play by play guy.  Greg Anthony was attempting to fill that role at times, but didn't do a good job of it.  The three of them all were talking at the same time a few times which just meant you couldn't hear any of them.  I mistook Rip Hamilton (was that his debut?) for C Webb for most of the game... which is just about the worst insult I can lay upon a commentator.

OK back to the point of Area 21.  Yeah, its not great.  KG seems like he tries to hard to be cool.  Its often worth not much but sometimes cool or funny.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur