Author Topic: NFL 2020 Season  (Read 70459 times)

Re: NFL 2020 Season
« Reply #405 on: January 09, 2021, 11:57:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
The GOAT continuing to do GOAT things. Ugh I miss Brady in New England...  :'(

Also make no mistake, Brady carried Tampa today (along with the pass rush at times I'll admit) and without him they'd be truly toast. Some guys like Godwin had big drops (probably from nerves/jitters), the 2 missed XPs, Tampa's meh secondary getting exposed to Heinicke (who looked great btw, much respect to him). Despite that, Brady had a big game and led the way.

He'll need to carry them if they want to make a deep run and potentially reach the SB. Won't be easy though even with TB12, because guys like Brees/Rodgers could absolutely torch the Bucs secondary which is one of their weaknesses.

But I was very encouraged by Brady tonight and I think he proved a lot, even if it was to a limited Washington team. He's still got it, and he affects winning. Without Brady, Tampa doesn't win tonight.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #406 on: January 10, 2021, 12:09:38 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 999
That was Brady's first playoff win since winning Superbowl LIII.

First win as a wild-card team.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #407 on: January 10, 2021, 12:12:47 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White

Also make no mistake, Brady carried Tampa today (along with the pass rush at times I'll admit) and without him they'd be truly toast. Some guys like Godwin had big drops (probably from nerves/jitters), the 2 missed XPs, Tampa's meh secondary getting exposed to Heinicke (who looked great btw, much respect to him). Despite that, Brady had a big game and led the way.

He'll need to carry them if they want to make a deep run and potentially reach the SB. Won't be easy though even with TB12, because guys like Brees/Rodgers could absolutely torch the Bucs secondary which is one of their weaknesses.

But I was very encouraged by Brady tonight and I think he proved a lot, even if it was to a limited Washington team. He's still got it, and he affects winning. Without Brady, Tampa doesn't win tonight.

That Washington D-Line reminded me of the 'ol Ravens Ray Lewis defense days.

I think Brady and the Bucs' season ends next week. If they had so much trouble beating a garbage NFC East team with a no-name backup QB, they will surely get eaten alive by the Saints or the Rams.

« Reply #408 on: January 10, 2021, 12:25:49 AM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468

I think Brady and the Bucs' season ends next week. If they had so much trouble beating a garbage NFC East team with a no-name backup QB, they will surely get eaten alive by the Saints or the Rams.
This no-name backup QB was more of a threat than a washed up Drew Brees and an injured Jared Goff would have been tonight.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #409 on: January 10, 2021, 09:01:46 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

At home, against the Rams, I think the Bucs win. Both teams played in Tampa this season and Rams squeaked out the win with a late field goal. But, the Bucs would need the Bears to beat the Saints, and I am not sure that happens

« Reply #410 on: January 10, 2021, 10:08:23 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Colts coach probably cost them at least a chance to win in OT. Terrible decisions going for a 4th and goal from the 5 and going for a two point conversion when it wasn't necessary in the 2nd half. Both decisions came away with zero points. The game should really have gone to OT without those dumb decisions.
shortish FG hit the upright and missed also
Yeah, but that's just a bad kick. Not putting up 4 easy points on a PAT kick and a 22 yard field goal is horrendous coaching. Those decisions cost the team 4 easy points. That's inexcusable in the playoffs.
The kicker had just missed a FG that was basically from XP range.  I don't mind the failed 2 point attempt at all.  There is in fact studies that show NFL teams should always go for 2 (except in the rare situations with like no time left and down by 1 or tied).  It will work out for more points over time if they just go for 2, especially when you have a shaky kicker.  They also got a 2 point conversion after that.  So if they kicked the 1st, they would have kicked the 2nd and ended up with the exact same amount of points. 

As for the 4th and 4, it was with under 2 minutes in the half.  Now sure probably should have kicked the FG, but if the defense doesn't give up a 96 yard drive in a minute and a half it wouldn't have mattered.  You have to figure your defense can stop them, you get the ball back and get a FG out of it anyway.  Giving up a 96 yard drive in that short amount of time was the problem there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #411 on: January 10, 2021, 10:40:50 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Colts coach probably cost them at least a chance to win in OT. Terrible decisions going for a 4th and goal from the 5 and going for a two point conversion when it wasn't necessary in the 2nd half. Both decisions came away with zero points. The game should really have gone to OT without those dumb decisions.
Yeah, but that's just a bad kick. Not putting up 4 easy points on a PAT kick and a 22 yard field goal is horrendous coaching. Those decisions cost the team 4 easy points. That's inexcusable in the playoffs.
The kicker had just missed a FG that was basically from XP range.  I don't mind the failed 2 point attempt at all.  There is in fact studies that show NFL teams should always go for 2 (except in the rare situations with like no time left and down by 1 or tied).  It will work out for more points over time if they just go for 2, especially when you have a shaky kicker.  They also got a 2 point conversion after that.  So if they kicked the 1st, they would have kicked the 2nd and ended up with the exact same amount of points. 

As for the 4th and 4, it was with under 2 minutes in the half.  Now sure probably should have kicked the FG, but if the defense doesn't give up a 96 yard drive in a minute and a half it wouldn't have mattered.  You have to figure your defense can stop them, you get the ball back and get a FG out of it anyway.  Giving up a 96 yard drive in that short amount of time was the problem there.
You are completely wrong except for the evening out with the made 2 point conversion and any good head football coach would tell you so. Going for the original two point conversion and the 4th and goal from the 4-5 yard line were just idiotic coaching decisions. And they most likely cost the Colts the game.

« Reply #412 on: January 10, 2021, 11:03:29 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

At home, against the Rams, I think the Bucs win. Both teams played in Tampa this season and Rams squeaked out the win with a late field goal. But, the Bucs would need the Bears to beat the Saints, and I am not sure that happens

Yeah I feel the same way. With that said, it's weird but I feel more confident about the Bucs chances against the Saints than I do the Packers, even though in the regular season the Saints beat TB twice and TB blew out Green Bay.

GB has been red hot in the 2nd half of the season with Rodgers playing like an MVP (which he'll win), and NO I feel has looked a tad shaky, plus Brees may still not be 100%. We'll see how the Saints look today, but also it does seem they've choked a bit in the playoffs over recent years too. Yeah they were robbed against the Rams, but they still had a chance in OT to do something and Brees threw an INT and overall he looked meh that game. Then Vikings shockingly uspet them on the road last season.

Re: NFL 2020 Season i
« Reply #413 on: January 10, 2021, 11:16:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The kid, Heinicke, played an amazing game for the Washington Football Team (I really hope they keep that name - I love its directness and absurdity).  He went down with a fight in what will likely be the game of his life.  Fun to watch someone step up like that when given a unique opportunity.  Though I wish Smith could have played too.
Yup

Re: NFL 2020 Season i
« Reply #414 on: January 10, 2021, 11:31:02 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
The kid, Heinicke, played an amazing game for the Washington Football Team (I really hope they keep that name - I love its directness and absurdity).  He went down with a fight in what will likely be the game of his life.  Fun to watch someone step up like that when given a unique opportunity.  Though I wish Smith could have played too.
Arians went with a cover 1 or cover 2 zone the whole game and Heinicke just picked it apart. His receivers found the gaps in the zone and he hit them. I was really surprised Arians didn't mix in a lot of man to man with blitzes to confuse Heinicke.

Arians reminded me of Tomlin when he stuck with his zone defenses against Brady all the time. Brady just killed the zone and Tomlin never changed anything up, meaning the Pats dominated Pittsburgh for years and years and years.

« Reply #415 on: January 10, 2021, 12:03:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
This Ravens/Titans game has the potential to be the best game of the weekend. 

Game I’ve been looking forward to most.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #416 on: January 10, 2021, 12:04:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

You are completely wrong except for the evening out with the made 2 point conversion and any good head football coach would tell you so. Going for the original two point conversion and the 4th and goal from the 4-5 yard line were just idiotic coaching decisions. And they most likely cost the Colts the game.
except they got another 2 point conversion.  so they got 14 points from 2 TD's.  Unless you are actually going to argue that they would have gone for 2 down 4 on the second one they ended up in the exact same situation and the first one failing didn't affect the outcome of the game at all.

And as I said, they should have kicked the FG, but Reich is an aggressive coach and that fits his M.O.  If the defense would have stopped them there, they would have gotten the ball back and probably ended up with a FG or a TD.  The defense didn't stop them though and let the Bills go 96 yards in under 2 minutes.  The inability to stop them from getting that TD is what cost them the game.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #417 on: January 10, 2021, 02:09:24 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
This Titans-Ravens game has been great so far. Surprised Henry to this point only has 10 rushes for 18 yards.

« Reply #418 on: January 10, 2021, 03:43:47 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Looks like the Ravens get their revenge and buried the Titans in their house.

They could upset Kansas City.

« Reply #419 on: January 10, 2021, 03:48:46 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Looks like Jackson will finally get a playoff win.

Pretty entertaining game.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team