Author Topic: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?  (Read 48239 times)

Re: Celtics to trade Lee for Jerryd Bayless?
« Reply #195 on: January 06, 2014, 11:17:06 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
As part of the Lee-Bayless deal, Boston will send a future second round pick to Memphis. OKC gets a protected 2nd rounder in '17

OKC must be sending the Celtics cash. 

That 2017 #2 is probably top-55 protected or something of that nature (similar to the deals we made with Sacramento when we paid them to take Cassell's and POB's contracts, where they traded us #2s that we'll never see.)

A little disappointing/anticlimactic if Mannix is right.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #196 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
If it is a 2017 2nd to OKC, I think it's Memphis'; Boston's is already conditionally owed to Brooklyn.

2017 second round draft pick to Brooklyn
If Boston exercises its right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2017 1st round pick, then Boston will convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]; this potential pick conveyance is the same as the one described in "2017 first round draft pick from Brooklyn" on Boston Credits

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

« Reply #197 on: January 06, 2014, 11:49:29 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If it is a 2017 2nd to OKC, I think it's Memphis'; Boston's is already conditionally owed to Brooklyn.

2017 second round draft pick to Brooklyn
If Boston exercises its right to swap its 2017 1st round pick for Brooklyn's 2017 1st round pick, then Boston will convey its 2017 2nd round pick to Brooklyn protected for selections 31-45 (if this pick falls within its protected range and is therefore not conveyed, then Boston's obligation to Brooklyn will be extinguished) [Boston-Brooklyn, 7/12/2013]; this potential pick conveyance is the same as the one described in "2017 first round draft pick from Brooklyn" on Boston Credits

http://basketball.realgm.com/nba/draft/future_drafts/detailed

My guess is that it's the heavily protected 2017 pick from Sacramento.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #198 on: January 06, 2014, 11:52:24 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Ah, right.

I'm OK with that, if so. Wyc's opened his checkbook a few times in the last several years; he's earned the right to make some of that money back.

« Reply #199 on: January 07, 2014, 07:40:18 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Quote from: WEEI
Gomes’ involvement in the deal appears to be a salary dump by Oklahoma City to help facilitate the trade and create a small amount of cap space, Stein reported. The Celtics are expected to waive the former Providence College star before the remainder of his $884,293 salary becomes guaranteed on Tuesday.
I'm confused with the whole Gomes situation. If he is non-guaranteed and can be waived today, how exactly is that saving OKC money? Can't they just waive him themselves?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #200 on: January 07, 2014, 07:46:03 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Gomes’ involvement in the deal appears to be a salary dump by Oklahoma City to help facilitate the trade and create a small amount of cap space, Stein reported. The Celtics are expected to waive the former Providence College star before the remainder of his $884,293 salary becomes guaranteed on Tuesday.
I'm confused with the whole Gomes situation. If he is non-guaranteed and can be waived today, how exactly is that saving OKC money? Can't they just waive him themselves?

They would have saved whatever future salary he was owed.  However, the amount they had already paid him (say, $400k) would have counted toward OKC's cap and luxury tax.  Now, it counts against ours.  OKC probably sent some money along to compensate us.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #201 on: January 07, 2014, 08:05:27 AM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
good trade. Bayless is a scorer.

« Reply #202 on: January 07, 2014, 08:54:37 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
It seems strange that the trade hasn't been finalized yet. I wonder whether Danny is checking in with Houston to see if they can make this a 4-team deal that finally nets Asik. It seems that the inclusion of Gomes could do just that:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=meqjy3v

Boston sends:
  • Bass to HOU
  • Lee to MEM
  • 2015 #1 from LAC to HOU

Boston receives:
  • Bayless from MEM
  • Asik from HOU

Houston sends:
  • Asik to BOS

Houston receives:
  • Bass from BOS
  • Franklin from MEM
  • Gomes from OKC
  • 2015 #1 from LAC via BOS

Memphis sends:
  • Bayless to BOS
  • Jamaal Franklin to HOU

Memphis receives:
  • Lee from BOS

OKC sends:
  • Gomes to HOU

OKC sends:
  • future considerations (SAC 2nd via BOS)

This gives Houston the opportunity to move Asik without taking on the salary commitment to Lee/Bogans, while allowing the Cs to retain the expiring deals of Bogans, Crawford, and Humphries for other potential moves. This also keeps the Cs under the luxury tax.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:35:17 AM by vwoodruff »

« Reply #203 on: January 07, 2014, 10:06:24 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
It seems strange that the trade hasn't been finalized yet. I wonder whether Danny is checking in with Houston to see if they can make this a 4-team deal that finally nets Asik. It seems that the inclusion of Gomes could do just that:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=meqjy3v

Boston sends:
  • Bass to HOU
  • Lee to MEM
  • 2015 #1 from LAC to HOU

Boston receives:
  • Bayless from MEM
  • Asik from HOU

Houston sends:
  • Asik to BOS

Houston receives:
  • Bass from BOS
  • Franklin from MEM
  • Gomes from OKC
  • 2015 #1 from LAC via BOS

Memphis sends:
  • Bayless to BOS
  • Jamaal Franklin to HOU

Memphis receives:
  • Lee from BOS

OKC sends:
  • Gomes to HOU

OKC sends:
  • future considerations (SAC 2nd via BOS)

This gives Houston the opportunity to move Asik without taking on the salary commitment to Lee/Bogans, while allowing the Cs to retain the expiring deals of Bogans, Crawford, and Humphries for other potential moves. This also keeps the Cs under the luxury tax.

If Lee Bass and a first for Asik couldnt get it done I dont see how Bass and a first would. I feel that Bogans expiring would have to at least be included to be somewhat sppealing for Houston to make the deal. I think Houston can find a team that would give a much better return than Bass and a first.

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2014, 10:27:28 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

They would have saved whatever future salary he was owed.  However, the amount they had already paid him (say, $400k) would have counted toward OKC's cap and luxury tax.  Now, it counts against ours.  OKC probably sent some money along to compensate us.

thanks roy for clearing that up. i had the same question as kozy on this.

on a related question, is the reason the celtics are including gomes in this deal to make salaries match? or, is it doing a "favor" to OKC, which may pay off down the line? or both? or neither?  :)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:31 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I don't understand why this trade hasn't been announced yet
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2014, 10:57:31 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Issues with the OKC three-way complicated addition probably scuttled the trade call yesterday afternoon.

I'd assume they've scheduled a trade call for today, until the trade call nothing is official.

« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:50 AM »

Offline sed522002

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 221
Issues with the OKC three-way complicated addition probably scuttled the trade call yesterday afternoon.

I'd assume they've scheduled a trade call for today, until the trade call nothing is official.

Just announced it and he'll wear #11.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/news/press_release/celtics-acquire-jerryd-bayless

Marc D'Amico ‏@Marc_DAmico 3m
The Celtics' latest acquisition, point guard @jerrydbayless, will wear No. 11 with the Celtics.

« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2014, 11:31:28 AM »

Offline Snakehead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 448
And we seem to have officially cut Gomes.
"I really don't want people to understand me." - Jordan Crawford

« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2014, 11:33:47 AM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

thanks roy for clearing that up. i had the same question as kozy on this.

on a related question, is the reason the celtics are including gomes in this deal to make salaries match? or, is it doing a "favor" to OKC, which may pay off down the line? or both? or neither?  :)

Looks like Boston and Memphis tried to go through with the original deal, but I guess the league told them it couldn't work as intended. Calls were made, OKC got involved, gave the requisite filler in Gomes' contract to make the deal work.  I don't think this was a show of goodwill towards the Thunder as much as it was that Boston needed help, so they reached out to OKC.