Author Topic: Give the front page of the blog one more chance  (Read 17542 times)

Re: Give the front page of the blog one more chance
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »

Offline Kane3387

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 944
  • Intensity!!!
Reminds me a lot more of how it used to be from a layout perspective. I like it.  :)

KG: "Dude.... What is up with yo shorts?!"

CBD_2016 Cavs Remaining Picks - 14.14

« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 05:31:20 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
a step in the right direction and an improvement

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 06:10:01 PM »

Offline rondofan1255

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 527
Thanks, CelticsBlog! Big thumbs up!  ;D

« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 06:24:01 PM »

fitzhickey

Really like the new improvements

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 07:20:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like it alot better than the last setup, definitely a step in the right direction. I like that the recent forum posts and fan posts are featured prominently on the right.

I also like that the front page is alot tidier and screen size is better used. Still some issues with it, but I definitely like it alot better than the old one.

I agree, I was beginning to get lost with the last set-up. I still miss the pre-SB days, but I understand that with time comes change and this is quite okay...

« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 11:21:22 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
Was looking forward to some great front page content after last nights big win. So the first article crashes the browser on my phone like six times, I fight through it all like I'm JET trying to get an open look.   It'll be worth it right, getting Cb's take after this big win.   After a few more crashes, getting past the picture & into a paragraph and I find myself reading how the author missed the game but saw some great box scores...

Now that's weak. 
Not only is the layout broken, but having no legitimate content after a statement win like that is downright comical.  Back to the Forums & Forsberg for me...

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 11:30:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
The folks at SBNation heard the complaints and criticisms and other feedback and made adjustments.  So for all you who have decided to skip the front page and go directly to the forums, please give the front page one more chance.

if you still don't like it, fine, no problem, skip it and come here

if you like it better, great - and know that the developers are going to keep making tweaks to make it better and better as time goes by

cheers

i like the new layout much much more than the previous one. thanks for taking into account all our whining and complaining.  ;)
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 11:46:17 AM »

Offline ItStaysYang

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 25
The folks at SBNation heard the complaints and criticisms and other feedback and made adjustments.  So for all you who have decided to skip the front page and go directly to the forums, please give the front page one more chance.

if you still don't like it, fine, no problem, skip it and come here

if you like it better, great - and know that the developers are going to keep making tweaks to make it better and better as time goes by

cheers

Hey Jeff -

I was one of the biggest critics of the new design. Looks like they got it much better this time around though - looks similar to the old layout, however - more refined. Glad they were willing to listen

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2013, 03:10:05 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
Better, but still some problems.

1. Not browser agnostic. In Firefox, it displays very well, with very small gray margins on both sides. In IE 9 the gray margins are larger but will increase/decrease unpredictably with changes in Zoom level and physical resizing of the browser window. In Google Chrome the gray margins are larger still and don't decrease much if any with changes in Zoom level or physically resizing. In both IE and Chrome I am often left with columns of text consisting of one or two words across. If there wasn't a "work around" I couldn't use the front page...

2. At a certain point when physically resizing the window the layout changes...about half screen width...in all 3 browsers. That layout stacks the top story pictures vertically, changes the layout for the lower stories and doesn't display the sidebar that is usually on the right. Weirdly, this actually works better in Chrome than the default/full screen layout. This is the "work around" for point 1, but it does mean I have to change the size for the front page and back for the forums/other web sites.

3. The navigation menu/slider up top has some non-intuitive "features" that need working on.

First, changing zoom/size can reduce the number of items in the horizontal menu grouping the rest under more. That's okay...as long as More is visible...but I've noticed that at some zoom levels the words overlap and become unreadable and you can't tell what you're clicking on.

Second, the menu is double purposed...and the user isn't told that anywhere...so I kept "losing" the link to Forums. It would disappear from More, then later it would be back. Yes, I figured out that if I hover the mouse pointer over SBNation the menu options change and if I hover the mouse over the Celtics Blog logo they change back...but I discovered this by accident. I don't know how you make this "feature" clear to users, but you *really* *should.*

4. I've had "failure to load" error messages from the site in Chrome and IE (but not FF), especially when I start changing zoom or physical size. These errors resolve with I click the reload button, but they *are* occurring and that's a bug.

5. The site is still a bit slow loading. It's pushing a *lot* of data through the pipes. This isn't so noticeable on fast connections, but that might have something to do with the load errors mentioned in point 4. Other than reducing image sizes even more, I don't have much in the way of suggestions for you on this one.

6. I haven't tried the new site from a mobile device yet. I'll have to see how it works on tablets, but won't have time until this weekend.

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2013, 03:50:19 PM »

Offline JSD

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2155
Well done. Loads far better too. Kudos
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2013, 04:01:23 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Good job Jeff looks really good!!

It doesnt play too nice with my iPad locks up at times but looking better
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2013, 04:09:58 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Just wanted to say how much I enjoy the front page again .... there was a transition period a while back that was a bit frustrating, and I know I was probably more critical than I should have been.

It always takes time to tweak things in this (much smaller) internet world we now live in. The new page has the best of both versions, IMHO, and is extremely attractive and user-friendly.

Awesome job, Jeff and company!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2013, 04:56:33 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Just wanted to say how much I enjoy the front page again .... there was a transition period a while back that was a bit frustrating, and I know I was probably more critical than I should have been.

It always takes time to tweak things in this (much smaller) internet world we now live in. The new page has the best of both versions, IMHO, and is extremely attractive and user-friendly.

Awesome job, Jeff and company!

Yes, but the front page actually works less well on my Android phone than it did just a month or two ago.  Always slow loading, mind you, but the links to the stories more often than not don't click through for me now.

Oh, well.

« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2013, 05:00:06 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
I really enjoy these new SBNation pages...

I hope you didn't get the wrong idea with my poll yesterday...
Great job Jeff and staff!!
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"