Author Topic: Fouls drawn per field goal attempts for selected players  (Read 17037 times)

Re: Fouls drawn per field goal attempts for selected players
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2010, 02:53:11 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
TP for summing up a lot of what I was going to say.  I don't want to speak for anyone specifically but there seems to be an attitude, in and out of this thread, that "If one statistic is misleading, this proves that all statistics are misleading!"  Ironically this belief displays a lack of statistical understanding, and often gets used to justify continuing to be that way.

Minny being 3rd in the league at turnover differential is only a "lie" if you think the stat argues that good turnover differential can only happen for good teams.  Of course the stat doesn't state or imply any such thing.  It just means an otherwise bad team seems to be good at one aspect of the game.  You have to misunderstand or misinterpret what the statistic means to claim it's "deceptive" in some way. 

People, on the other hand, will often wield statistics in a misleading way, but that's a different story, and yet another reason why an independent understanding is useful.

All stats are midleading... well maybe not the stats, but the person reporting the stats has the ability to make them say whatever they want to say. In that way stats are always misleading. I don't know what else to say... you have a mathmetician on here saying that stats lie... I mentioned my statistics professor who said stats lie, I've given a very valid argument... and no I don't have an attitude and yet you say I have an attitude and continue to downplay my reasons for saying stats lie. You simply can not believe all stats, that's all there is to it.

Nothing personal, but this is kind of a throw the baby out with the bathwater approach. Stats can be misinterpreted or misleading, but that doesn't mean that they can't be used properly or that they can't paint an accurate picture.

If you went back and read my very first post on the subject I said there are obviously some exceptions. All I am saying is that there are some cases where stats lie... I'm not saying they do in every situation, but people have to be aware that they're not always accurate. And no worries, I don't take any of this personally, I actually find this to be a very interesting discussion. I just wish people would admit that I am right that stats lie in some cases... because I know I am. Stats are not always accurate. TPs all around for a good discussion!

You're changing your stance though! I think clearly even the "stat advocates" have been saying all along that you have to be clear and careful. You were literally saying that stats are always misleading! that stats lie!

But it's not arbitrary. Just because one person can make up numbers to support their point does not mean that all statistical analyses are equally inept.

If I said "Stat's always lie" I misspoke, my bad. I did say stats are misleading and I mean that, and once again my very first post said there are cases when stats are truthful and useful, so no I'm not changing my stance, that's where it was in the beginning.

I'm saying stats work in certain situations but people alter statistics in order to influence other peoples views on the stats... that is just fact.

I agree, but that's a problem with people misusing and misinterpreting statistics, not with statistics themselves.  I think this is where the two sides aren't quite connecting.  A legitimate statistical finding can be represented accurately or dishonestly, and it can be interpreted accurately or incorrectly.  In neither case does the stat itself change, just how someone is using or viewing it.  Which is why I think it's important that people understand statistics - because they are so meaningful but also so easily abused and misread.

BTW, I only replied to one post of yours (technically VT's), I haven't been arguing with you throughout - also, I meant "attitude" in the generic sense of a belief, not in the "bad attitude" sense.  It's absolutely no knock on you personally.  Apologies for any misunderstanding.

And with the appeal to authority thing, I'm not a statistician or a mathematician, but I have a doctorate with a concentration in Quantitative Psychology, which basically means statistical analysis and methodology in psychological research.  I use statistical analysis every day at work and teach introductory statistics courses as well.  I know some of the other people who disagree with you have some formal training too. 

Like I said I think this mostly boils down to whether you attribute things to the statistics themselves or the people who interact with them.  It sounded for awhile like you were doing the former, which is why so many people disagreed.  Looks like you may have meant the latter all along though.  TP back at you for discussion.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:01:13 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2010, 02:56:28 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
All stats are midleading... well maybe not the stats, but the person reporting the stats has the ability to make them say whatever they want to say. In that way stats are always misleading. I don't know what else to say... you have a mathmetician on here saying that stats lie... I mentioned my statistics professor who said stats lie, I've given a very valid argument... and no I don't have an attitude and yet you say I have an attitude and continue to downplay my reasons for saying stats lie. You simply can not believe all stats, that's all there is to it.

I'm with you Matt....stats don't tell the whole story...atleast NBA stats don't tell the whole story. There is no way a very physical player like LeBron commits only 1.6 fouls per game. He should have been slapped with a second tech. for standing in our huddle...but he wasn't and he goes on to complete the game with 40+ points...no stat line in NBA will ever tell you that the man is judged differently. He is rarely called for a travel...he can abuse the refs. as much as he want...yet will rarely get a tech called on him for throwing up a tantrum. Hence, you have to take the nba stats with a grain of salt.

Your problem here isn't with statistics, it's with referees.  All the stat says is how many fouls LeBron gets called for.  It's a completely accurate representation of that. 

Whether LeBron should be called for more fouls than that is an issue with the refs or the league.  But the stat only says how many he is called for, nothing more.  So it's an accurate reflection of calls made even if you don't think those calls accurately reflect what's happening on the floor.

TP for the video too.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 03:14:46 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2010, 04:41:58 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Yeah I think both sides of this argument are actually in agreement and are just misunderstanding each other...

« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2010, 05:06:02 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Yeah I think both sides of this argument are actually in agreement and are just misunderstanding each other...
I don't see that personally. I think there is a lot of shifting going on.

« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2010, 05:28:56 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
1. I think stats can be very useful... whoever the players are with the top 5 most homeruns in baseball tend to be 5 great home run hitters. That is a case where stats are good.

2. My high school gym teacher Bill McInnis is the best hitter to put on a Red Sox jersey. He finished his career as a Red Sox with a batting average of 1.000. This is a case where stats can be used to change the viewers perception. This is true. My gym teacher played for the Paw Sox. He had one at bat for the Red Sox during spring training and he got a base hit.

I'm pretty sure everybody agrees on those two things... maybe except for you, Fafnir. I'm not saying all stats lie... and once again, if I said those words before that is my mistake... that doesn't mean my position is shifting. I'm just saying stats can be used to tell lies... which is exactly what the people who are arguing with me and BFM are saying. So what are we arguing for? If we're just arguing for the sake of arguing then we should just leave this thread alone so people who want to talk about the OP's post can do so here and you, myself, BFM, FanFromVT, fairweatherfan, and BBallTim can start our own thread to argue more over nothing.

« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2010, 05:38:49 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
My statistics professor told my class not to believe in statistics.

Whoever provides the stats... always biased... they always have a point and they're not going to show both sides... and if they do, they're not doing their jobs.

Stats can be skewed however you want.

That having been said, there are some stats you can't refute.
(Cal Ripken Jr. is the most durable baseball player of all time with 2,632 consecutive games played.)
Thats what you originally said, I don't think your opinion has shifted really. Others have moved the goal posts a bit though.

You can always misrepresent, mislead, and lie. It doesn't matter whether you use numbers, stats, or just words to do so. To declare that you don't trust statistics because of that is myopic in my view.

I got involved when people were reflexively telling us to dismiss stats because they can be used to mislead. You said stats can lie, so don't value them. That's what I don't agree with.

« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2010, 05:46:47 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
My statistics professor told my class not to believe in statistics.

Whoever provides the stats... always biased... they always have a point and they're not going to show both sides... and if they do, they're not doing their jobs.

Stats can be skewed however you want.

That having been said, there are some stats you can't refute.
(Cal Ripken Jr. is the most durable baseball player of all time with 2,632 consecutive games played.)
Thats what you originally said, I don't think your opinion has shifted really. Others have moved the goal posts a bit though.

You can always misrepresent, mislead, and lie. It doesn't matter whether you use numbers, stats, or just words to do so. To declare that you don't trust statistics because of that is myopic in my view.

I got involved when people were reflexively telling us to dismiss stats because they can be used to mislead. You said stats can lie, so don't value them. That's what I don't agree with.

I didn't say "Don't value stats"... I said "My statistics professor told my class not to believe in statistics". I never even said that I don't believe in stats myself. I said whoever provides stats always has a reason to provide those stats. They are always trying to prove a point, especially on a blog, and in those cases stats can lie (Or a better way of saying it would be the poster can lie) to get there point across. I'm not saying stats always lie... I've said it time after time - stats can lie.

« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2010, 05:52:50 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Because this adds to my point... I posted this a couple of days ago in the "Who does Rondo think he is?" thread.

Rondo's Improvements:

06 - 07       07 - 08        08 - 09        09 - 10

Minutes    23.5          29.9           33.0            36.5
FG%         .418          .492           .505            .512
Assists      3.8           5.1             8.2              9.8
Steals        1.6           1.7             1.9             2.4
Points      6.4           10.6           11.9            13.6

I will admit that I am a very biased Rondo supporter. I hate to hear people talk bad about him because I think he is the best player on the team and the future captain of the team.

I stated that Rondo was improving year after year and hasn't even reached his full potential yet.

I provided the above stats to prove my point... of course I left out the fact that his fouls have increased likely because his steals have as well... his free throw shooting has decreased, and his rebounds have decreased. I wouldn't call myself a liar for doing this. I would say that I manipulated the stats in a biased attempt to get my point across.

I'm just telling everybody in this thread that they need to watch out for this when looking into stats. Everybody who posts stats on a blog is trying to get a point across, they all have an agenda. If they only have to remove a couple numbers to skew the stats in their favor, they will... and in this case it is apparent that stats do in fact lie.

« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2010, 05:58:09 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
and for all you conspiracy theorists, you know who blows even lebron out of the water?

Corey Maggette, 20.7!

Must be Stern wants Maggette, the golden child of the NBA, to succeed, right? (958 FG attempts)

Lebron deserves his free throw attempts numbers, no doubt. However his lack of personal fouls and techs really bugs me. ..Not to mention his freedom to travel whenever he wants.

What is LeBron averaging this year?  3.5, 4 yards per carry?

Was Bob Cousy traveling on half of his nifty passes? was Magic carrying the ball on half of the Lakers possessions?

Absurd comparison, PosImpos.  

The correct answers to those questions are no and no.  I'm no fan of Earvin and never will be.  But the games in those eras were officiated by the rulebook.  When players pre-Jordan (in his prime) days traveled, the whistle blew regardless of the player's status on the food chain.  There isn't a snowball's chance in hell that Donaghy would have lasted through the all-star break.  That he lasted years speaks to how the rules are bent for certain players, and completely disposed of for the messiah.

The messiah takes two and sometimes three extra strides (not steps) in the open court and gets called for traveling maybe once or twice a season.  He'd have been a walking turnover in Cousy's or Earvin's era.

Having said that, it's a pretty safe bet that the messiah would have strived in any era.  He'd have adjusted.   He wouldn't be nearly as arrogant because his NBA peers then would have policed it and knocked him back down.  He wouldn't be referring to his teammates as "my guys" in Bird's era. Or any other era.

I'll venture a guess that if traveling was called in earnest that the messiah would probably barely be on this list.  Pierce would be at the bottom and Wade wouldn't be on it at all.

« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2010, 06:11:35 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Stats can be skewed however you want. Others have moved the goal posts a bit though.

You're obviously talking about me here....but I'm not going to change my stance that stats don't tell the whole story...and if that bothers you...too bad..because its my opinion and I'm entitled to it. I don't care if you sleep on a bed named "statistics"....you are entitled to your opinions/views and I'm entitled to mine....and for petes sake...stop trying to label me as a liar. I suggest you do your moderating instead of trying to impress the blog with your knowldege of stats.

And I know that you have been trying to attack my posts for the past day or two....so I won't be surprised if you focus on finding something to ban/suspend me. This thread is over as far as I'm concerned.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 06:35:31 PM by barefacedmonk »
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2010, 06:40:39 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
I'm just telling everybody in this thread that they need to watch out for this when looking into stats. Everybody who posts stats on a blog is trying to get a point across, they all have an agenda. If they only have to remove a couple numbers to skew the stats in their favor, they will... and in this case it is apparent that stats do in fact lie.
Everyone always is trying to support their argument though. If you're just saying "think critically" and "do your own research" thats great. I just don't like the generic "lies, [dang] lies, and statistics" that comes accross.

« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2010, 06:45:18 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE
Everyone always is trying to support their argument though. If you're just saying "think critically" and "do your own research" thats great. I just don't like the generic "lies, [dang] lies, and statistics" that comes accross.

Do your own research is exactly what I'm trying to say... but I'm also saying stats can be skewed, very often, not always. If you want to say that I said "lies, [dang] lies, and statistics"... whatever that means, that's fine. Go ahead. I'm through with this discussion. We seem to agree and you don't realize it yet... and I give up.

« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2010, 06:50:52 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

Do your own research is exactly what I'm trying to say... but I'm also saying stats can be skewed, very often, not always. If you want to say that I said "lies, [dang] lies, and statistics"... whatever that means, that's fine. Go ahead. I'm through with this discussion. We seem to agree and you don't realize it yet... and I give up.
I don't agree, you have an inate skepticism towards statistics. I don't have the same, I'll look under the hood and see what the inputs are before I get too excited about them. But I don't start from the asumption that: "these might be bogus this guy has agenda". Especially when it comes to basketball and we're all fans debating a liesure activity.

« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2010, 07:03:32 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • PEACE

I don't agree, you have an inate skepticism towards statistics. I don't have the same, I'll look under the hood and see what the inputs are before I get too excited about them. But I don't start from the asumption that: "these might be bogus this guy has agenda". Especially when it comes to basketball and we're all fans debating a liesure activity.

I don't have the same, I'll look under the hood and see what the inputs are before I get too excited about them.

So you have no skepticism towards stats... but you check the research to make sure the stats aren't misleading? Doesn't that mean you do have a skepticism towards stats. Are you sure you're not arguing just for the sake of arguing?

« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2010, 07:07:36 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
So you have no skepticism towards stats... but you check the research to make sure the stats aren't misleading? Doesn't that mean you do have a skepticism towards stats. Are you sure you're not arguing just for the sake of arguing?
I like stats, I like basketball, I like to learn new things. Attack my motivation for participating in this discussion if you'd like, we have two rather different outlooks on a lot of things.