Author Topic: pierce's speech?  (Read 10927 times)

Re: pierce's speech?
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 10:29:35 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I am actually quite peeved that TNT didn't show it. I haven't missed a Pierce first game of the season speech since he started giving them. If what is being said here is all true, I don't have a problem with him giving a shout out to the people in the stands that were there to support him all those tough, tough years and thanking them.

He always goes out of his way to mention Red which I think is wonderful and which I think no one has a problem with. He addresses the fans once a year this way and on the most emotional night of his playing career, he got a wee bit self indulgent and wasn't all "ubuntu" and "we, we, we", "team first, me second", I don't see why he is being criticized.

Love ya, Paul!! Thanks for last year and for caring so much!!
Again, not knocking Paul here, but he didn't really give a "shout out" to the fans. He thanked the management, his family, his coaches growing up etc...". 

But the caring so much part was all you needed to see.

Yup

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 10:32:30 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am actually quite peeved that TNT didn't show it. I haven't missed a Pierce first game of the season speech since he started giving them. If what is being said here is all true, I don't have a problem with him giving a shout out to the people in the stands that were there to support him all those tough, tough years and thanking them.

He always goes out of his way to mention Red which I think is wonderful and which I think no one has a problem with. He addresses the fans once a year this way and on the most emotional night of his playing career, he got a wee bit self indulgent and wasn't all "ubuntu" and "we, we, we", "team first, me second", I don't see why he is being criticized.

Again, not knocking Paul here, but he didn't really give a "shout out" to the fans. He thanked the management, his family, his coaches growing up etc...". 

I meant he was thanking his family and friends and people who were there in the stands last night, not the fans.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 10:38:23 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 353
Unfortunately, I watched it on TNT and couldn't really hear much of what Pierce was saying because TNT felt it necessary to drown out his speech with Mike Fratello talking about God knows what.

But thruthfully, Pierce could've sat their and done his taxes for 20 minutes for all I care.  Just seeing his emotions during that ceremony was enough for me.  That guy is a true Celtic and I hope he never wears another jersey.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 11:30:45 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

I meant he was thanking his family and friends and people who were there in the stands last night, not the fans.
That is part of the problem.

I like Pierce as much as anyone, but the speech was bad. In the first minute, he may have been running on emotion. But in the second minute, it was no longer emotional -- he was just trying to remember everyone he had in the stands.

Instead of inspiring the crowd and his teammates, he wrote an autobiography. Instead of talking about how hard the team worked for the championship and what they would do to repeat, he talked about everyone who helped make him who he is.

Look at all my past posts. I have never been one to dump on Pierce. I am a strong supporter. No need for silly responses lumping me in with the 'anti-' crowd. I am rarely 'anti' anyone on the Celtics. I am just responding to his self glorifying speech.

And like I said, the speech won't be a problem with our team because KG doesn't look try to steal the spotlight. There was an odd response to this idea posted above, but this point should be obvious to everyone who watches KG interviews. Sure he trash talks on the court. Irrelevant to the point. KG always gives credit to teammates, and even opponents. He never seeks out the camera. He is the type who would just be happy for Pierce having his moment. Imagine a speech like that on the Kobe-Shaq Lakers. Super feud! KG isn't the insecure attention hog type.

Also, anyone who thinks that was just an impromptu speech is probably fooling themself. He does this every year. His speech was even advertised on an email sent out to season ticket holders. Do you really think he didn't know what he was going to say before he went out there?

And why are there people so bothered by anyone noting that Pierce tends to focus on himself a lot in moments that should be about the team's success? He was the same the days after we won the Championship -- even on the night of the championship. He was the only guy who focuses himself when he spoke, but that is what we would expect. He is our scorer. He is the guy who needs to be confident, perhaps even arrogant, because we need him to carry the team on offense at times. We need him to be a prima donna. Pierce is the one who wants the ball in big moments when KG is giving up the ball 6 feet from the hoop. He should just try to test his speeches on the PR guys.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 11:54:17 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
From time to time, I've been critical of Paul in the past for his immature moments.  This, though, I couldn't care less about. 

He reached the mountain top, and he was talking about what it means to him, personally.  He's the only guy on the team who has struggled through nearly a decade of losing, and he reflected on what it meant personally to him.  That's not a problem for me.  Perhaps he could have picked words that were more generic and crowd-pleasing, but I'm not going to chastise the guy for being candid.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 11:57:34 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Guys, we're missing the big picture here!  Why the hell was there any need to the TNT guys to be talking over Pierce's speech?!?  Seriously, what more productive things could they be saying that needed to be said at that particular moment when Pierce was pouring his heart and soul to the crowd, especially after the great display of emotions 2 minutes prior to that moment!

Granted, his speech could've been horrible.  I don't care, I just wanted to hear what he had to say.  I have never missed his speeches, and it was always hard to see him out there when the Celtics were horrible and he's still saying that they will try hard and they embody the Celtics tradition and are gonna try to bring the championship (when we all knew it wasnt coming), and now the guy is finally addressing the team as a winner, and we had to hear some analyst talking about what he ate for breakfast?!?!?!?

Seriously, that really p---ed me off.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 12:04:25 PM »

Offline GroverTheClover

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 167
I thought the speech was appropriate. Especially because he was the one constant on this team for the last 10 years, Paul was the one getting up in front of the crowd each and every year opener. In my opinion, because of that, it was a personal moment for him. Yeah, he could been talking about Unbuntu, but there's a personal connection between the fans that he's developed getting up every year trying to remain optimistic. In a way, he's grown before us and we've been with him each step until he finally reached that mountaintop. I have no problem with the "self-indulgent" nature of the speech. Paul Pierce is certainly not flawless and I think that quality certainly endears him to me.

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 12:18:33 PM »

Offline jhog3411

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1
Here is a home video I found of Pierce's speech.  I think the speech was too long, rambling, and inwardly focused, but I give him a pass because it was an emotional night and the ring was very well-deserved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzCwYM5Nyvw

« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2008, 12:31:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Okay, after listening to the speech I have to say.....I still feel the same way and I don't think it could be said any better than the way Roy said it above. So, as I always say, save me time writing, you get a TP.

« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2008, 12:44:27 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Okay, after listening to the speech I have to say.....I still feel the same way and I don't think it could be said any better than the way Roy said it above. So, as I always say, save me time writing, you get a TP.

And, as always, give me a TP and you get one back.  8)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #25 on: October 29, 2008, 01:13:07 PM »

Offline QuinielaBox

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 139
Paul Pierce is a Celtic for life, not a politician.....

It was a beautiful speech.
Wins are few, times are hard. Here is your bleeping St Patricks Day Card.

« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2008, 01:24:20 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609

I like Pierce as much as anyone, but the speech was bad. In the first minute, he may have been running on emotion. But in the second minute, it was no longer emotional -- he was just trying to remember everyone he had in the stands.

Instead of inspiring the crowd and his teammates, he wrote an autobiography. Instead of talking about how hard the team worked for the championship and what they would do to repeat, he talked about everyone who helped make him who he is.

Look at all my past posts. I have never been one to dump on Pierce. I am a strong supporter. No need for silly responses lumping me in with the 'anti-' crowd. I am rarely 'anti' anyone on the Celtics. I am just responding to his self glorifying speech.

And like I said, the speech won't be a problem with our team because KG doesn't look try to steal the spotlight. There was an odd response to this idea posted above, but this point should be obvious to everyone who watches KG interviews. Sure he trash talks on the court. Irrelevant to the point. KG always gives credit to teammates, and even opponents. He never seeks out the camera. He is the type who would just be happy for Pierce having his moment. Imagine a speech like that on the Kobe-Shaq Lakers. Super feud! KG isn't the insecure attention hog type.

Also, anyone who thinks that was just an impromptu speech is probably fooling themself. He does this every year. His speech was even advertised on an email sent out to season ticket holders. Do you really think he didn't know what he was going to say before he went out there?

And why are there people so bothered by anyone noting that Pierce tends to focus on himself a lot in moments that should be about the team's success? He was the same the days after we won the Championship -- even on the night of the championship. He was the only guy who focuses himself when he spoke, but that is what we would expect. He is our scorer. He is the guy who needs to be confident, perhaps even arrogant, because we need him to carry the team on offense at times. We need him to be a prima donna. Pierce is the one who wants the ball in big moments when KG is giving up the ball 6 feet from the hoop. He should just try to test his speeches on the PR guys.

TP, I feel mostly the same way.  Except I don't feel that he was "running on emotion", that makes it sound like he was talking straight from the heart.  He gives a speech every opening night, so this probably was planned and possibly even rehearsed.  

You get a different feeling watching it now than there last night.  Last night everybody in the crowd was caught up in the banner, the rings, the excitement of getting off on the right start for this season.  Paul delivered a speech not relating to any of that.  I just found it to be a very untimely speech and agree with some that it was something to save for retirement.  I've enjoyed being a fan of Paul for the last 8-10 years or so that I've been following, so it won't change my feelings towards him (which are positive), but being there I found myself scratching my head.

Aside from being untimely, the only part I particularly didn't like about the speech was when he mentioned "wanting to be traded".  Yeah, it was the truth, but why remind fans of that?  I understood why he wanted to be traded at the time, but I remember hearing that last night bringing me down a bit.  You can't say every player on a losing situation feels like that too either, because KG NEVER asked to be traded from Minnesota.  I'm sure this post may not be popular, but its how I feel about what he said last night.  I'm still a Paul fan nonetheless.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2008, 01:37:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

TP, I feel mostly the same way.  Except I don't feel that he was "running on emotion", that makes it sound like he was talking straight from the heart.  He gives a speech every opening night, so this probably was planned and possibly even rehearsed.  

You get a different feeling watching it now than there last night.  Last night everybody in the crowd was caught up in the banner, the rings, the excitement of getting off on the right start for this season.  Paul delivered a speech not relating to any of that.  I just found it to be a very untimely speech and agree with some that it was something to save for retirement.  I've enjoyed being a fan of Paul for the last 8-10 years or so that I've been following, so it won't change my feelings towards him (which are positive), but being there I found myself scratching my head.

Aside from being untimely, the only part I particularly didn't like about the speech was when he mentioned "wanting to be traded".  Yeah, it was the truth, but why remind fans of that?  I understood why he wanted to be traded at the time, but I remember hearing that last night bringing me down a bit.  You can't say every player on a losing situation feels like that too either, because KG NEVER asked to be traded from Minnesota.  I'm sure this post may not be popular, but its how I feel about what he said last night.  I'm still a Paul fan nonetheless.
Paul Pierce is not a politician running for office that has to watch every last word he says or every last subject he brings up for fear of losing votes or supporters. Last year was a team accomplishment that came about, in part, due to his personal accomplishments.

Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason he thanked the people he did is because he felt that because of their support towards him that they should be acknowledged as part of the team and helped as much as anyone else? Whenever players talk about these accomplishments they like to give kudos to the people behind the scene in their personal lives that helped to make it happen. Paul chose last night for him to thank those people.

I have no problem with it and think people are getting a tad bit over-analytical about it as a whole.

« Reply #28 on: October 29, 2008, 02:04:16 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Did it ever occur to anyone that the reason he thanked the people he did is because he felt that because of their support towards him that they should be acknowledged as part of the team and helped as much as anyone else?

Also, he mentioned that a lot of those people were in the building (and pointed some of them out), and he wanted to get them some applause.  Paul had his pulpit, and he used it to acknowledge some people who were particularly influential.  Without those people, it's very possible that there's no championship.

It was his opportunity to relish in the championship glow one more time before the season, and share it with the people he loved.  I just don't see why that's a problem.

« Reply #29 on: October 29, 2008, 02:15:36 PM »

Offline muddy02

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 8
how can people think that his speech was "inwardly focused" or anything like that??  All he did was thank OTHER PEOPLE.  he was fighting back tears the whole time when he was acknowledging people that were "upstairs."  people (including myslef) pretty much cheered after each person he mentioned.  Granted there were times i thought the band was going to start playing, but it was still a solid, emotional, genuine speech, premeditated or not.  He thanked all the coaches and people in his life that got him to where we was today.  He even mentioned how people helped him get his head straight when he was asking to be traded.

He's got a free pass for anything he does in my book, for single fact that he's stuck with this team and the ownership has stuck with him for a very long time.

Side note - did they show the video montage on TNT?  i was honestly fighting back some serious waterworks during most of it, especially the parts with Red.  There was about 2 minutes of clips of player diving on the floor.  i loved it.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 02:22:32 PM by muddy02 »