Author Topic: pierce's speech?  (Read 10923 times)

pierce's speech?
« on: October 29, 2008, 12:09:47 AM »

Offline keepthefaith

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 22
any chance anyone has a video of pierce's pregame speech? or can someone who was at the game sum it up? it has been cool each opening night over the years to here pierce promise to do his best to bring a championship to boston, and now that he has i wonder what he said. i can guess it was something along the lines of banner 18...

Re: pierce's speech?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 12:14:52 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Horrible speech. I was really disappointed. Completely forgot about the team idea and treated it like an Oscar award ceremony. Decent ending mentioning Red, but it was a very self-involved speech.

Fortunately, KG doesn't have an ego.

Pierce's opening speech last year was so much better.

Pierce looked great though in the game. Too mast for Lebron to defend.

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 01:33:26 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Horrible speech. I was really disappointed. Completely forgot about the team idea and treated it like an Oscar award ceremony. Decent ending mentioning Red, but it was a very self-involved speech.

Yeh, I sort of agree.  It seemed like more of a retirement speech, but whatever...it clearly came from the heart.
Yup

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 02:25:12 AM »

Offline jimmyt

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 2500

Huh??
Yo chill man, it was from the heart. None of us know how much emotion was going through him at that time. It was a lot to take in. I was at the game and at no point was I upset at his speach. He has been there through the whole thing. If he wants to thank his high school coach, and his brothers, and his mother, and anyone else, he can. He can thank whoever the hell he wants in my opinion. The guy has dedicated his entire career to the Celtics and he wanted to thank the people who helped him do that.

I'm sick of critics of speaches based on emotion. Between the KG speach after the celtics won the finals and this speach, just let it be. People arent writing speaches for these guys before the game.

Let me guess, you wanted to here "ubuntu" and "teamwork" etc.? We all know its about we not me on this team, honestly it doesnt even need to be said. At this point in his career, at least with me, Pierce can't really do anything wrong that will make me be dissapointed or dislike him after what we have all been through. 

For anyone who didn't go to the game and didn't hear the speach, it was based on pure emotion and heart. He was about to shed tears at any moment, you could easily see the water in his eyes. I'm sure any one of you celticsbloggers would have been near tears. I know I was.

Sure it may have sounded like an Oscar-type speach, because he was thanking so many people. But the real message was there. He was straight up thankful. He was thankful for the fans sticking with him, he was thankful for the management sticking with him, he was thankful for his friends and family sticking with him. Honestly, I'm thankful for Pierce sticking with us, because without him we might still be waiting on banner 17.

As far as your "Fortunately KG doesnt have an ego" comment, thats complete B.S. First of all KG has an ego, he's one of the biggest trash talkers in the league and one of the most emotional guys in the league. He better have some kind of ego. To say that KG doesnt have an ego and Pierce does is completely false. How could Pierce have an ego? He has gotten zero respect in this league up until he won a title. Wouldnt this make it the first game possible that he could have an ego? Same with Garnett. Ego isn't even the right word for them. Passion. Desire to win and prove doubters wrong. Heart. Those describe our guys, not ego. And you use ego in such a negative light. If these guys have egos this year, they deserve to have egos, they're the defending nba champs.

You people out there who hate on guys like Pierce, its amazing to me. Name me ONE player who has been with any Boston sports team longer than Pierce before they won a championship. Pierce was on the Celtics for 10 years before he won the whole thing. I know that there is nobody on the Red Sox from 04 or 07, and nobody on the Patriots. Tim Wakefield comes close, but not 10 years, and didn't have the same effect on the team or fans that Pierce has. Not sure on Bruins because they havent won in a while, but Pierce has suffered through more seasons than anyone else on a Boston team before actually winning a championship. NOBODY konws what that feels like. Boston is a very demanding city. Think about it. Since 2001 when the Pat's won, we have had a pretty good run. Think of the pressure that was on Pierce. How can we judge his speach tonight??

Paul Pierce is the greatest Celtic player I have ever seen play personally (I'm 21). I admire him as a player and as a person. In a world where players come and go in the blink of an eye, he has been a constant in Boston. Let him have his 3 minute speach and dont critisize it becuase he didn't mention "team". You want to see proof of Pierce thinking about the team, watch every game he played in last year.

To Keepthefaith:
It was a heartfelt speach man. He took the mic with tears in his eyes. He struglled through the first few sentences, choking back tears. He went on to say how thankful he is for everyone who stuck with him over the years, especially through the 18 game losing streak and when he felt like he wanted to quit or get traded. He thanked Wyc and Danny for sticking with him. He thanked his cousins and brothers for pushing him. He thanked his high school coach for making him do drills at 6am in the morning on a consistent basis. He thanked his mother for putting up with him all his life. Lastly, he thanked Red. He thanked Red for always believing in him. He said he knew Red was here tonight and watching over.

He then went on to score 27 points and lead the Celtics to victory. Played good defense on LeBron and even played off him a bit at times, challenging LeBron to shoot, and miss threes.

Sorry for the long post, but this is my point of view of the speach. Guava is entitled to his point of view although I do not agree with it in any way, shape, or form.

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 03:07:20 AM »

Offline greenwise

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 136
OMG, i think sometimes people overreact and criticise everything...the speech was alright, nobody asks Pierce to be the perfect speaker or anything. He is the NBA finals MVP and has brought back a title to Boston. Is it so important if he had a perfect speech?

By the way, i thought the speech was ok, human and sincere

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 03:15:10 AM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107

Huh??
Yo chill man, it was from the heart. None of us know how much emotion was going through him at that time. It was a lot to take in. I was at the game and at no point was I upset at his speach. He has been there through the whole thing. If he wants to thank his high school coach, and his brothers, and his mother, and anyone else, he can. He can thank whoever the hell he wants in my opinion. The guy has dedicated his entire career to the Celtics and he wanted to thank the people who helped him do that.

I'm sick of critics of speaches based on emotion. Between the KG speach after the celtics won the finals and this speach, just let it be. People arent writing speaches for these guys before the game.

Let me guess, you wanted to here "ubuntu" and "teamwork" etc.? We all know its about we not me on this team, honestly it doesnt even need to be said. At this point in his career, at least with me, Pierce can't really do anything wrong that will make me be dissapointed or dislike him after what we have all been through. 

For anyone who didn't go to the game and didn't hear the speach, it was based on pure emotion and heart. He was about to shed tears at any moment, you could easily see the water in his eyes. I'm sure any one of you celticsbloggers would have been near tears. I know I was.

Sure it may have sounded like an Oscar-type speach, because he was thanking so many people. But the real message was there. He was straight up thankful. He was thankful for the fans sticking with him, he was thankful for the management sticking with him, he was thankful for his friends and family sticking with him. Honestly, I'm thankful for Pierce sticking with us, because without him we might still be waiting on banner 17.

As far as your "Fortunately KG doesnt have an ego" comment, thats complete B.S. First of all KG has an ego, he's one of the biggest trash talkers in the league and one of the most emotional guys in the league. He better have some kind of ego. To say that KG doesnt have an ego and Pierce does is completely false. How could Pierce have an ego? He has gotten zero respect in this league up until he won a title. Wouldnt this make it the first game possible that he could have an ego? Same with Garnett. Ego isn't even the right word for them. Passion. Desire to win and prove doubters wrong. Heart. Those describe our guys, not ego. And you use ego in such a negative light. If these guys have egos this year, they deserve to have egos, they're the defending nba champs.

You people out there who hate on guys like Pierce, its amazing to me. Name me ONE player who has been with any Boston sports team longer than Pierce before they won a championship. Pierce was on the Celtics for 10 years before he won the whole thing. I know that there is nobody on the Red Sox from 04 or 07, and nobody on the Patriots. Tim Wakefield comes close, but not 10 years, and didn't have the same effect on the team or fans that Pierce has. Not sure on Bruins because they havent won in a while, but Pierce has suffered through more seasons than anyone else on a Boston team before actually winning a championship. NOBODY konws what that feels like. Boston is a very demanding city. Think about it. Since 2001 when the Pat's won, we have had a pretty good run. Think of the pressure that was on Pierce. How can we judge his speach tonight??

Paul Pierce is the greatest Celtic player I have ever seen play personally (I'm 21). I admire him as a player and as a person. In a world where players come and go in the blink of an eye, he has been a constant in Boston. Let him have his 3 minute speach and dont critisize it becuase he didn't mention "team". You want to see proof of Pierce thinking about the team, watch every game he played in last year.

To Keepthefaith:
It was a heartfelt speach man. He took the mic with tears in his eyes. He struglled through the first few sentences, choking back tears. He went on to say how thankful he is for everyone who stuck with him over the years, especially through the 18 game losing streak and when he felt like he wanted to quit or get traded. He thanked Wyc and Danny for sticking with him. He thanked his cousins and brothers for pushing him. He thanked his high school coach for making him do drills at 6am in the morning on a consistent basis. He thanked his mother for putting up with him all his life. Lastly, he thanked Red. He thanked Red for always believing in him. He said he knew Red was here tonight and watching over.

He then went on to score 27 points and lead the Celtics to victory. Played good defense on LeBron and even played off him a bit at times, challenging LeBron to shoot, and miss threes.

Sorry for the long post, but this is my point of view of the speach. Guava is entitled to his point of view although I do not agree with it in any way, shape, or form.

TP, not only for feeling the same way I feel, but for making my life easier by not having to type something like that. 

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2008, 08:15:28 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
jimmyt, you got a TP from me as well.

Paul is my favorite player. If we think
back, he may not have been able to do
this speech, let alone play basketball.
He was the victim of a vicious attack
that nearly cost him his life. He fought
hard and he made it back. Last night, he
moved past Bob Cousy and into 5th place
on the C's all-time scoring list.
I think his tears were a pretty big sign of
what this means to him. Not only to win
the Championship and get his ring.
But to do so as a CELTIC.

I haven't heard his speech, but from what
jimmyt is saying, it was a good speech.
Paul deserves to be in the spotlight and
he deserves to be mentioned in the same
sentence as all the great Boston players.
He is The Truth, The Captain and a True Celtic.

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2008, 09:10:49 AM »

Offline RedsCeltics34

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 45
  • Lets Go Celtics!

Huh??

To Keepthefaith:

TP for you Jimmy, I was thinking the exact same thing but you saved me the energy.

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 09:14:11 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I made the decision to get up and go get some food after the ceremony, and missed the speech.  I was disapointed when I came home and realized that they didn't even show this on the broadcast (which I tivo'd).  This thread is making me feel a little better about it.  I am glad I didn't miss much.

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2008, 09:15:03 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
The speech itself was not horrible by any stretch.  If they were raising Pierce's # it would have been completely appropriate.  As it was, they were raising the TEAM's banner up to the rafters.  That's the only thing I found odd about it.

That said, clearly Pierce was the most emotional guy out there last night after all he's been through.  Everything he said was genuine - "The Truth" if you will.  It my have been odd timing, but the crowd was right there with him.

I also think it meant a lot to have so many of the special people he mentioned in the stands last night - and I don't get the impression they're there frequently.  Hence the timing of the speech.

Now the question is:  Does he just hit replay when they retire his#?  ;)
Yup

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2008, 09:32:56 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
The speech itself was not horrible by any stretch.  If they were raising Pierce's # it would have been completely appropriate.  As it was, they were raising the TEAM's banner up to the rafters.  That's the only thing I found odd about it.

That said, clearly Pierce was the most emotional guy out there last night after all he's been through.  Everything he said was genuine - "The Truth" if you will.  It my have been odd timing, but the crowd was right there with him.

I also think it meant a lot to have so many of the special people he mentioned in the stands last night - and I don't get the impression they're there frequently.  Hence the timing of the speech.

Now the question is:  Does he just hit replay when they retire his#?  ;)

when his number gets retired i'm probably gonna cry like a three year old, paul pierce will finally feel like one of the best celtics (which he was anyways) and the place is gonna be out of control.

i loved in the TNT pregame how in his interview he was asked about red, and paul seems to miss red very much and think about him alot, which makes me very happy.

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2008, 09:54:12 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I thought the contents of the speech were a bit peculiar for the situation but Pierce clearly had more emotion than anyone else in the building last night so I'm giving him a pass. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2008, 09:59:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Once again, Boston fans pouring crap over something that should be good, positive, and great. Stop being party poopers, and enjoy the ride.

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2008, 10:12:35 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I am actually quite peeved that TNT didn't show it. I haven't missed a Pierce first game of the season speech since he started giving them. If what is being said here is all true, I don't have a problem with him giving a shout out to the people in the stands that were there to support him all those tough, tough years and thanking them.

He always goes out of his way to mention Red which I think is wonderful and which I think no one has a problem with. He addresses the fans once a year this way and on the most emotional night of his playing career, he got a wee bit self indulgent and wasn't all "ubuntu" and "we, we, we", "team first, me second", I don't see why he is being criticized.

Love ya, Paul!! Thanks for last year and for caring so much!!

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2008, 10:26:02 AM »

Offline SamuelAdams

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 51
PP earned the right to make that speech.  He has been here his whole career and remembered the LEAN years. Just like we all did. This Championship also includes what it took to get there.