Author Topic: Powe is a C  (Read 5996 times)

Re: Powe is a C
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Wow, in my late night stupor I had thought by the title that someone was as excited about Powe as I was and meant "Powe is a C" to mean Leon Powe is the embodiment of a CELTIC.

Oops

But he is the embodiment of a CELTIC (now that we're winners again)

A center? He's no Patty OB
Yup

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2008, 09:27:19 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
leon powe just takes advantage of whatever situation we put him in. it seems like the celtics offensive mindset is to move the ball around to try to get one of the opponants defenders matched against someone they can't guard (wally world, lee from the knicks) and then just let our guy take him (then pass if the defense comes to the aid.) and this allows powe to just dominate because there better defender is gonna be on KG like 85% of the time.

powe is the future of this team and will be here when the big 3 is no longer.

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Yeah, i love powe, but he's not a center. because he plays the post, he may be guarded by centers as opposed to KG further on the perimeter, but Powe is really a pf. Fortunately, there are not a lot of huge, good centers in the league. Ilgauskas is the only guy on the cavs he shouldn't match up with. He can match size wise with anyone on the bulls, Jersey (until either boone or williams progress significantly), Hawks, Bobcats, minny, sacramento, miami, pacers, wizards, utah, denver. I can see j oneal, bosh, howard, Z, Bogut, Randolph, Brand, Dalembert, R Wallace, oden, aldridge, Duncan, chandler, yao, nowitzki, shaq, gasol, bynum, amare, kaman, camby, and biedrins causing severe problems because of there size particularly on defense, but again, that's why powe is a PF as most of those guys are centers; powe comes in off the bench and can be used when the matchup is favorable.

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2008, 10:58:40 AM »

Offline Greg

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 30
leon powe just takes advantage of whatever situation we put him in. it seems like the celtics offensive mindset is to move the ball around to try to get one of the opponants defenders matched against someone they can't guard (wally world, lee from the knicks) and then just let our guy take him (then pass if the defense comes to the aid.) and this allows powe to just dominate because there better defender is gonna be on KG like 85% of the time.

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little bit there?  Wow.  Haha, the future of the team?  I've never heard that one.

« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2008, 11:05:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Powe is a "power 4".  I know power forwards these days are spending more and more time away from the basket, but Leon is a traditional power forward who plays in the low post and does the dirty work.  He'll add range to his shot eventually -- he showed it in college -- but that's not a priority right now when he's showing so much consistency getting points down low.

Is the "Powe vs. BBD" debate over yet?  I thought the winner in that contest was made exceedingly clear last season, but I'm sure future games will make the case even more certain.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2008, 11:08:50 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Powe is not a center.  I think he is a better player than Baby, but I would rather Baby play center than Powe because I think Baby's defense is better at that position.  Keep Powe at pf where he excels.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2008, 11:30:58 AM »

Offline youcanthandlethetruth113

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 153
I started getting very giddy when I realized the Cavs had Wally guarding Powe at one point (or maybe it was after a switch or something). The ensuing entry pass by Eddie to Leon on the block with Wally on his back hanging on for dear life made me get off my couch and on my feet, and then the patient move and finish allowed me to go wild. I love Leon so much. I really hope we resign him.

I think Leon is a "power 4" who has the ability to guard opposing C's, but is not as effective at guarding said opposing C's as BBD. I think that's why Davis gets some spot minutes to guard big Z, and Powe comes in to do his work on the offensive end.

Leon is a man's man.
"Perk is not an alley-oop guy" - Tommy Heinson - Feb 27th 2008 vs. Cleveland

« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2008, 11:32:29 PM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251
yeah, I hear ya.  you guys all make good points.  here is the thing though,

Of the starters, its gonna be Perk on the bench most due to foul trouble; usually first to leave the court.  Enter Leon.

When KG is your power forward, you play Leon Powe at center.  KG doesn't move over and run Perk's rotations on offense - he isn't switching on defense to guard the more physical front court player.  Powe's role is backup center, and the results speak for themselves.

i'm just saying, yea on paper he's an 'undersized pf' or whatever...  But when he is on the court for THESE Boston Celtics, Leon Powe plays like a beast at the center position.

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2008, 12:38:53 AM »

Offline ma11l

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 233
  • Let's Go Celtics
Powe is a "power 4".  I know power forwards these days are spending more and more time away from the basket, but Leon is a traditional power forward who plays in the low post and does the dirty work.  He'll add range to his shot eventually -- he showed it in college -- but that's not a priority right now when he's showing so much consistency getting points down low.

Is the "Powe vs. BBD" debate over yet?  I thought the winner in that contest was made exceedingly clear last season, but I'm sure future games will make the case even more certain.

Amen.  Let's just hope Baby plays well enough to give us some decent trade value to get a veteran later in the season.
"Take this down," said O'Neal. "My name is Shaquille O'Neal and Paul Pierce is the (expletive) truth. Quote me on that and don't take nothing out. I knew he could play, but I didn't know he could play like this. Paul Pierce is the truth."

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2008, 12:44:04 PM »

Offline sully00

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 7
They had him guarding Big Z and KG on Wally for a stretch last night.  (which is the right matchup at that point since KG has the speed to stay with Wally)

There wasn't more than 2 mins that Wally, Z and Powe were on the floor together in that game.  Doc almost exclusively used Powe when Z was on the bench so that neither he or KG had to man up on him.  Now Leon can stay with Varejao because he isn't any kind of threat offensively and isn't very effective defensively against smaller players. 

What we saw from Leon which is far more important is that he can effectively guard SF's for stretches.  Now Wally isn't a foot speed test at all but he has a lot of range in his game and Powe stayed with him. 

Powe and Baby will be Doc's one two punch.  If the opponent actually has a talented offensive backup center or starter still in the game then that will Baby's guy if not Doc can go to Powe.  What teams may look to do is go smaller and force Leon to play a SF and if he can do that then this is going to be a hell of a season because few SFs will be able to do anything with him on the blocks.

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

It depends on what the debate is.  I think they are no longer interchangable, and Powe has solidified his role as the 6th man on this team.  However, I think Davis still brings better defense, and will continue to be used against certain matchups instead of Powe.

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2008, 09:50:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Don't you think you're jumping the gun a little bit there?  Wow.  Haha, the future of the team?  I've never heard that one.

i didnt mean THE future of the team, i meant it as hes PART of the future of the team. He seems like a guy who is loyal to the celtics and is happy in is bench role (which will allow him to be on this team for a long time) In 6 years you'll look at the Celtics roster and talk about how important leon powe is to the team.