Author Topic: ESPN/Marc Stein's Power Rankings: C's #1  (Read 1880 times)

ESPN/Marc Stein's Power Rankings: C's #1
« on: October 27, 2008, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=0

Was just perusing through Marc Stein's first Power Rankings for ESPN and was actually quite surprised to find the Celtics sitting atop the list with some very complimentary words said about them in the beginning of the article.
Paul Pierce celebrated his NBA Finals MVP performance by shedding nearly 10 pounds over the summer. Ray Allen strutted into training camp far healthier than he did for his first Boston camp, when he was coming off surgery on both ankles. Kevin Garnett, meanwhile, was spotted warming up for an exhibition trouncing of the Knicks last week by bashing his head into the basket standard twice, then standing for most of the fourth quarter to cheer on the Celtics' reserves as if it were a playoff game.

What does it all mean?

To your friendly NBA Power Rankings committee (of one), it means that the Celtics might indeed find it difficult to repeat as champions -- because it's always tough to win back-to-back titles, something this storied franchise hasn't managed since 1968 and '69 -- but we struggle to picture any letdowns coming. If the Celts can't go back-to-back, trust us: It won't be because these guys didn't want it enough.

"They just came back with a great team mentality," Celtics coach Doc Rivers said of his three stars.

It's so rare for ESPN not to be in full ball washing mode with the Lakers and its refreshing for the Celtics to get some love at that site. Don't get me wrong, they respect what the Celtics are and give them some well deserved credit. But often it is overlooked for the glitz and glamour that is Kobe and the Lakers.

Some observations:

-Stein has only 6 Eastern teams in the top 15. I think that's interesting.

- I don't see what he sees in Chicago, maybe I'm just missing something but I don't see them as anywhere near a playoff team.

- I think Portland, age or no age, is a monster team waiting to mature and I think they will eventually be better than the Suns and Mavs.

- Seeing the Clippers justifiably positioned at 19 makes me realize just how bad the bottom third of the NBA is. New Jersey, judging from what we saw this preseason, is going to be awful and yet it could be argued there are 3-5 teams worse than they are.

- I like how he gave the Celtics JV team(Timberpuppies) a little love by having them 24th. It's probably about where they stand now but I think by the end of this year they may surprise some folks. Don't worry it won't be with defense but I think their offense could be [dang] good by season's end with Miller and a couple of those other guys opening up things for Al down low. I don't think 35 or more wins are completely out of the question considering just how bad some teams out there are. I see Al becoming a 24 PPG and 12 RPG player this year and making an All-Star team.

- Other than that I think most of his rankings are pretty close to being right on.

- I must say I found this tidbit quite entertaining because I agree with it 100%:

Who knows how many games T-Mac, Yao and Ron-Ron actually play together? But I question anyone saying Artest might mess up Houston's chemistry. Mess up what? Rockets haven't won a playoff series since 1997.

Re: ESPN/Marc Stein's Power Rankings: C's #1
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2008, 02:27:50 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
Wow.  Its really been since '97 that Houston won a playoff series?

I would've never thought that. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2008, 02:32:08 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
The East only goes 6 deep, and there's a reasonable case to be made for knocking Toronto out of that group and putting it down to 5 teams.

The West goes 10 deep before the stage evens out again, with #11 out West being comparable to #7 in the East.

I think it's a good call having only 6 teams in top 15. I'd have Toronto lower and possibly out of the top 15 altogether.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2008, 02:39:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The East only goes 6 deep, and there's a reasonable case to be made for knocking Toronto out of that group and putting it down to 5 teams.

The West goes 10 deep before the stage evens out again, with #11 out West being comparable to #7 in the East.

I think it's a good call having only 6 teams in top 15. I'd have Toronto lower and possibly out of the top 15 altogether.

That's exactly why I thought it interesting. I'm not sure I'd have more than 5 Eastern teams in the Top 18. I am not sold on O'Neal helping out that Raptors club that much and am not sold on Chicago, Miami, or Washington even being .500 teams. I think the East's top 5 are strong, all quite possibly top 10 teams. But the fall after that is precipitous.

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2008, 03:36:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

10 deep?  I don't see it.

GS is done
Denver is going to be terrible without Camby to clean up the lack of perimeter defense

8 teams deep in the West 

6 teams deep in the East

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2008, 03:57:39 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

GS is done
Denver is going to be terrible without Camby to clean up the lack of perimeter defense

8 teams deep in the West 

6 teams deep in the East
I have the Clippers in there instead of Golden State, and I don't think Denver are done. Overall I expect a comparable team to last season from the Nuggets.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 03:27:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

GS is done

8 teams deep in the West 

6 teams deep in the East
I have the Clippers in there instead of Golden State, and I don't think Denver are done. Overall I expect a comparable team to last season from the Nuggets.

I never buy the Clippers (much like the Hawks)

They have to actual prove it on the floor.  To many historical mistakes.