Author Topic: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here  (Read 273560 times)

Re: If you have had a good beer recently report the results here
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2009, 09:36:07 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was at the brewery a couple weeks ago...I didn't like the winter seasonal.

I really liked the IPA

thinking bout doing a VT brewery saturday

Harpoon, Magic Hat, Long Trail - other ideas to add to it?

Yes. There are two very close very nice breweries in burlington if you make it that far north.

#1: http://vermontbrewery.com/

That one is really cozy. If you're going with some buddies and want to burn an hour or two in a real comfy pub like setting with EXTREMELY affordable pints, highly recommended. My boys and I usually follow a particular pattern when hitting a town in it's mug. Step 1: wake up, step 2: go to a place that serves good beer for affordable prices in oversized cups and sit there for a while, then stumble into the twilight fresh as a daisy. The cups were regular size, but I could spend days there.

#2: http://www.americanflatbread.com/restaurants/burlington-vt

This one is a little different. If you're bringing your lady I recommend this. Honestly from a beer snob standpoint they're probably the most innovative. And i don't mean they put raspberries in everything can call it a revolution. Just really good beer, but it's first and foremost an awesome restaurant. You don't want to bring hooligan friends (are there other kinds?) there, but if you're down for a great lunch and some interesting beer, this is the spot.

Haven't been to american flatbread yet, but second the nomination for Vermont Pub & Brewery. I especially like their buffalo chicken wrap with sweet potato fries and a sampler rack of beers. mmm...maybe tonight...

Also, if you're cruising around more southernly in Vermont, the Shed brewery in Stowe and the Alchemist in Waterbury have good beers.

Re: If you have had a good (or bad) beer recently report the results here
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »

Offline Mencius

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
Ommegang Abbey Ale is never a bad idea.

Re: If you have had a good beer recently report the results here
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 11:20:47 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 570
I was at the brewery a couple weeks ago...I didn't like the winter seasonal.

I really liked the IPA

thinking bout doing a VT brewery saturday

Harpoon, Magic Hat, Long Trail - other ideas to add to it?

Yes. There are two very close very nice breweries in burlington if you make it that far north.

#1: http://vermontbrewery.com/

That one is really cozy. If you're going with some buddies and want to burn an hour or two in a real comfy pub like setting with EXTREMELY affordable pints, highly recommended. My boys and I usually follow a particular pattern when hitting a town in it's mug. Step 1: wake up, step 2: go to a place that serves good beer for affordable prices in oversized cups and sit there for a while, then stumble into the twilight fresh as a daisy. The cups were regular size, but I could spend days there.

#2: http://www.americanflatbread.com/restaurants/burlington-vt

This one is a little different. If you're bringing your lady I recommend this. Honestly from a beer snob standpoint they're probably the most innovative. And i don't mean they put raspberries in everything can call it a revolution. Just really good beer, but it's first and foremost an awesome restaurant. You don't want to bring hooligan friends (are there other kinds?) there, but if you're down for a great lunch and some interesting beer, this is the spot.

Haven't been to american flatbread yet, but second the nomination for Vermont Pub & Brewery. I especially like their buffalo chicken wrap with sweet potato fries and a sampler rack of beers. mmm...maybe tonight...

Also, if you're cruising around more southernly in Vermont, the Shed brewery in Stowe and the Alchemist in Waterbury have good beers.

May I add in southern Vermont McNeill's Brewery in Brattleboro and Maple leaf in Wilmington. Both small pubs with excellent home brews.

As for winter ales, I still think I like Sam Adams the best.

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2009, 09:05:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Baltica Wheat Ale from St. Petersburgh Russia was pretty good

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2009, 11:12:12 PM »

Offline OriginalODb

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 31
Off Shoot to this Whats the Best semi widely available IPA? I go through stages with beer and right now I'm on an IPA kick

so far I've stuck to only Redhook and Long Trail. I like the Redhook much better, stronger flavor.

To the Original Point. I had a Shipyard Spiced Pumpkin Ale recentley and found it... interesting, its basically like drinking a pumpkin pie with extra cinnamon but at 9% alcohol

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 09:58:10 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Founders Breakfast Stout Double Chocolate Coffee Oatmeal....won't buy it again

Weihenstephaner Doppelbock Korbinian.....won't buy it again

Spaten....pretty good. May find its way into the rotation

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Off Shoot to this Whats the Best semi widely available IPA? I go through stages with beer and right now I'm on an IPA kick

Depends on where you live. 

My IPA of choice right now is the Smuttynose IPA.  Partly I love the picture of the two old men on the label.  But also it is a good IPA from a bottle, IMHO.

When I lived in CA (moved to NYC in July '09), my IPA of choice was Lagunitas, with Racer 5 a close 2nd.  These need to be poured into glasses to be fully enjoyed.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2010, 10:00:43 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The week's findings

Stone IPA - good. Hopefully will remember to have food with it next time, which I think I did this time

Dogfish Head Raison D'Etre - good I think, but not memorably good. I'm pretty sure I liked it, but I kinda don't remember

Black Hawk Stout.  - Ok as stouts go

Lammsbrau - Ok, but nothing to write home about. States it's organic and since 1628. Organic isn't a legal term. I doubt the Germans back in 1628 even knew what organic was.

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2010, 04:29:57 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Magic Hat's Odd Notion - one of the worst beers I've ingested since Sam Adams' Cranberry Lambic
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
White Hawk IPA   - eh

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 03:14:01 AM »

Offline christuffa

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 70
  • The Sniper
Kind of OT...sorry;

Speaking from an Aussie who has only ever drank Bud, MGD and one bottle of Sam Adams in terms of US beers, is Sam Adams seen as a good beer in the US compared to other US beers?

I'm keen to buy a case of it but over here it would cost US$90 for 24 bottles. Bit pricey compared to the US$35-45 for widely available local brews.

Do you call a box of 24 bottles a case in the US? If not, what then?

Thanks
Chris

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2010, 03:34:02 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If you get stuck with Bud Lime, eat some Mike and Ikes before you drink. It takes it from disgusting to tolerable.

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2010, 03:35:09 PM »

Offline UGotRondod

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4

Depends on where you live. 

My IPA of choice right now is the Smuttynose IPA.  Partly I love the picture of the two old men on the label.  But also it is a good IPA from a bottle, IMHO.

When I lived in CA (moved to NYC in July '09), my IPA of choice was Lagunitas, with Racer 5 a close 2nd.  These need to be poured into glasses to be fully enjoyed.

All good beers should be poured into a glass to fully enjoy.  Releases the aroma and brings out more of the flavor.

For IPAs, I tend to stick to Harpoon.  Just a classic taste, perfect balance of hops and malt.  Long Trail's is also very good (as are most of their products)

« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2010, 09:16:35 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Kind of OT...sorry;

Speaking from an Aussie who has only ever drank Bud, MGD and one bottle of Sam Adams in terms of US beers, is Sam Adams seen as a good beer in the US compared to other US beers?

I'm keen to buy a case of it but over here it would cost US$90 for 24 bottles. Bit pricey compared to the US$35-45 for widely available local brews.

Do you call a box of 24 bottles a case in the US? If not, what then?

Thanks
Chris
Sam Adams is definitely more expensive here and I think at least part of the difference is that I don't think they use rice like Bud, so it's darker and seems fuller.

I think case sizes here vary. 24 is probably pretty common

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2010, 09:17:08 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
Old Brown Dog Ale (by Smuttynose)....eh