Author Topic: Red Claws Acquire Josh Selby  (Read 7320 times)

Red Claws Acquire Josh Selby
« on: March 07, 2013, 05:44:31 PM »

Offline Nowee

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 41
  • Celtic Pride
The Maine Red Claws have acquired guard Josh Selby from the Canton Charge in a trade that will send Maine’s 2013 NBA Development League Draft selection to the Charge.

Selby, 21, played in 11 games for the Canton Charge this season while on assignment from the Cleveland Cavaliers, averaging 15.3 points, 6.5 rebounds and 4.2 assists in 32.9 minutes per games.

Selby appeared in 10 games for the Grizzlies this year, averaging 2.0 points in 5.9 minutes per game. Selby was acquired by the

Selby was waived by the Cavaliers on March 3.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/226566/Red-Claws-Acquire-Josh-Selby
Dutch Celtics Pride

Re: Red Claws Acquire Josh Selby
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2013, 06:25:48 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Looks like I might have to head up to Maine, Red Claws just got a stud if utilised properly. It'd be good basketball to see Selby go off for 30 and Melo lock down the paint.

Poor man's Iverson and Mutumbo could be brewing up north.

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1649
Honestly didn't even know the D-League could trade people.

Selby is an intriguing prospect.  Elite athlete, good one-on-one scorer, hasn't really learned how to play five-on-five basketball yet.  He'll have to be a PG because he isn't big enough to play SG (which would be his natural offensive position). 

Reminds me a bit of Monta Ellis.  Not always in a good way, either.  But if he develops he could help the right team.

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2013, 06:33:32 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 383
  • Jeff Green
He was really, really good at Summer League. Co-MVP for Vegas, I believe.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

Offline BigAlTheFuture

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 458
This dude was a baller in high school. He lit it up during the lockout, too. If he can translate that into the NBA, he can be a good off-the-bench-scorer-type-guy.
PHX Suns: Russell Westbrook, Chris Bosh, Tristan Thompson, Trevor Ariza, Tony Allen, Trey Lyles, Corey Brewer, Larry Nance Jr., Trey Burke, Troy Daniels, Joffrey Lauvergne, Justin Holiday, Mike Muscala, 14.6

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2013, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

You are correct

"Selby, the Grizzlies’ second-year guard out of Kansas, led all players in scoring at 27.5 points per game as Memphis went 2-2 entering its final game Sunday. Selby shot 59.3 percent from the floor — including 70.6 percent on 3-pointers. Selby made at least five 3-pointers in each game, talling 24 in the four games (24-for-34). Selby was also active defensively, averaging 2.5 steals."

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/category/2012/2012-summer-league/

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2013, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline jdz101

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 404
Hold on.

Why has an athletic 6'4 guy with that sort of handle and shooting stroke not gotten a decent shot with an NBA team?

What's wrong with him? Any more details from when he was with the grizz?

how much wood would a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck was chris bosh?

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2013, 11:24:12 AM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green

You are correct

"Selby, the Grizzlies’ second-year guard out of Kansas, led all players in scoring at 27.5 points per game as Memphis went 2-2 entering its final game Sunday. Selby shot 59.3 percent from the floor — including 70.6 percent on 3-pointers. Selby made at least five 3-pointers in each game, talling 24 in the four games (24-for-34). Selby was also active defensively, averaging 2.5 steals."

Yay. I was surprised he didn't get to play more but oh well.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]
"I've always said J. Green is going to be one of the best players to ever play this game"

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2013, 12:03:23 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell

You are correct

Yay. I was surprised he didn't get to play more but oh well.

Here's a partial explanation from David Thorpe, regarding his lack of good play during his college days.  But this could speak to his not-so-great transition to the pros as well.

"Selby is being asked to play within a defined system, and he's completely lost in that environment. His DNA says "go go go," but his system requires establishing paint dominance with the Kansas bigs, then reading the defense and delivering the ball to the best positioned teammate. Without doubt, this new way of playing is causing him all sorts of problems, mostly taking him out of his comfort zone. He's thinking instead of playing."

But maybe there is some hope for young Josh.

"But now I'll remind you of two other players who were not great, or even very good, in college: Jrue Holiday and Russell Westbrook. Both played in a similar system at UCLA, if only at a slower pace than Kansas' running attack."

http://www.kcsr.org/showthread.php?t=86300

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2013, 01:14:57 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Pretty interesting move.  I wonder if the kid's experience and record would be much different from Austin Rivers' if he had the same dad.

Can we anticipate another round of summer camp play, this time for the C's?

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2013, 01:19:10 PM »

Offline CelticConcourse

• Paul Silas
  • Jeff Green
I think he can be a star.
Jeff Green - Top 5 SF

[Kevin Garnett]

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

Offline jamala22

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 2
I think he's an interesting pick-up.  We get a better look at him in Maine to see exactly what our staff thinks of him.  I think he'd be an interesting rotation guy come next year if we make some moves during the off-season.  Especially if we package one of our PG/SG's in a deal.  By no stretch of the imagination would anyone ever think he'll be a star but I think he has a solid shot at being a rotation guy which every team needs at some point.  Though we already have that in Jordan Crawford now.

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
He could be a star.  But I would settle for a  very good rotation player.

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2013, 02:39:31 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74

"Selby is being asked to play within a defined system, and he's completely lost in that environment. His DNA says "go go go," but his system requires establishing paint dominance with the Kansas bigs, then reading the defense and delivering the ball to the best positioned teammate. Without doubt, this new way of playing is causing him all sorts of problems, mostly taking him out of his comfort zone. He's thinking instead of playing."

Sounds like he needs the Denver Nuggets or maybe Houston this year.

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2013, 02:46:48 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
There are a lot of really interesting reasons to go up for a Red Claws game or two. Micah Downs is shooting the lights out, the other Rivers is playing guard, Josh Selby is coming to town, and by the way did you realize that cast-off 2007 pick Gabe Pruitt is back in the Celtics system again? =)

You also get to see Fab Melo block like five shots.