Author Topic: Lebron James has aged alot in one season  (Read 4824 times)

Re: Lebron James has aged alot in one season
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2019, 08:19:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This seriously coming from a fan base who signed both Gordon Hayward and Al Horford to max contracts. I am not trying to downplay either of their contributions (we do need Gordy of old for the playoffs and moving forward), but I would happily trade both of them for one $60M version Lebron James...or at least somebody of James' talent.

People are acting like he is late career Vin Baker or something. He's obviously not as engaged since he knows there is no chance for a ring this year. If LAL brings in a 2nd superstar, he will be much more engaged.

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2019, 08:38:20 AM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
This seriously coming from a fan base who signed both Gordon Hayward and Al Horford to max contracts. I am not trying to downplay either of their contributions (we do need Gordy of old for the playoffs and moving forward), but I would happily trade both of them for one $60M version Lebron James...or at least somebody of James' talent.

People are acting like he is late career Vin Baker or something. He's obviously not as engaged since he knows there is no chance for a ring this year. If LAL brings in a 2nd superstar, he will be much more engaged.

LeBron is 34. He’s not Vin Baker, but he’s not the LBJ of four years ago either. He can step up his effort, but next year and the year after that his ceiling is going to get lower. Also, he has had an amazing - maybe unprecedented - run of injury-free ball. It will get harder to stay healthy and recover from dings every year. If he’s stayed healthy this year they might be going to the playoffs.

Gordon is 28, signed through age 31. Al is 32, and can take the max from the Cs next year. I don’t think anybody expects him to be playing at his current level for another contract. The nightmare is he is what he was the start of this year, when his knee was bothering him.

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:27 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
He’s aging. I’m not sure if what we’re seeing now is just aging, though.  More like a combo of aging + injury + lack of focus + quitting.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2019, 10:12:19 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Ticket prices rose i understand and he filled up the seats and gave fans hope ....not like they been out of contention for 20 years .  So theres that .  Kinda like old Kobe at the end.   

The fans support may wane quite a bit next season , if Lebron doesn't get guys to come do HIS work for him and put him in ththe playoffs . And third year could be a major disaster without major starage signing on.  ,  they will have to pay some of those young guys and still not have Kawhi , KD or Davis they are sunk .  Lebron is not even relevant his fourth year IMO ...dead weight.

So next year I think it is Bron , Butler and Cousins lake show big three.  .....my prediction.

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2019, 10:19:18 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm sure there is a physical aspect to it but he sure looks less engaged too.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2019, 11:16:08 AM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
all  this attention to a routine basketball play just because it was on LeBron saya a lot about the respect for James,

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2019, 11:23:10 AM »

Offline RMO

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 104
Does their season make it easier for them to sign a free agent this summer?

If they were successful there would be a lot of pressure with the second star.  With Lebron being another year older it's a very real risk that they might not meet expectations.  The second star would most likely get a lot of that blame.

They're so low now (probably lower that last year regardless of record, which isn't much different, because they have Lebron) that it seems the only way to go is up.  That being said, the Lebron circus isn't going anywhere and if that's what turns off free agents then that shouldn't change.

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 11:36:28 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Hezonja blocks James
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFS40fgREE4
is it possible at all that lebron did tht on purpose to lose the game for the tank pick? He tries to kill the clock then does a very obvious move

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 01:43:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Gotta agree with a couple others that although he has aged and slowed some, his recent play is due to a problem LeBron has had before when things look like a championship run isn't happening or close to over....he quits. He comes up with cramps that sideline him. He stops trying very hard. And he alienates his team mates. He did it in Cleveland and Miami and now LA.

But with a long off season to heal up and prepare, the first long off season he will have had in 9 years, with a possible sidekick signed or traded for, with a new coach that will be on the same page as LeBron, with Ingram and Ball healthy and back, LeBron could be back to regular LeBron as soon as October.

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 02:04:45 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
Gotta agree with a couple others that although he has aged and slowed some, his recent play is due to a problem LeBron has had before when things look like a championship run isn't happening or close to over....he quits. He comes up with cramps that sideline him. He stops trying very hard. And he alienates his team mates. He did it in Cleveland and Miami and now LA.

But with a long off season to heal up and prepare, the first long off season he will have had in 9 years, with a possible sidekick signed or traded for, with a new coach that will be on the same page as LeBron, with Ingram and Ball healthy and back, LeBron could be back to regular LeBron as soon as October.

I'm not sure what "regular" LeBron is. All-NBA defense LeBron vintage 2010 is gone and that guy is never coming back. Last year's LeBron - the guy who barely dragged the Cavs to the Finals (with an assist from historically bad shooting that one night in Boston...) before getting crushed by the Warriors? That guy might come back, maybe, and he's still a really good player. But I'm betting against it. Father time is undefeated. It's not just about where his ceiling is - ticking down each year - it's also whether he can continue to log heavy minutes without an injury or recover quickly when he's hurt. People got used to the idea he was indestructible. Not this year. Before he had a groin injury they were on a path to the playoffs, and when he went down so did they. At some point - maybe even next year - he's a step slower, he stops getting so many calls, and he gets dinged up.  Still very much an NBA player, maybe even an all-star, but not top 5.

« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2019, 02:45:19 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Does Lebron make all NBA second team this year? Third? He isn't really in play for the first team.

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2019, 03:41:31 PM »

Offline Walker Wiggle

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 125
I still think Lebron can find the right "nutrition" and "investment in his body" to play at an elite level for the next several years.

The way I could be wrong would be if he decides to invest in his long-term, post-career health and take it easy on his body, in which case he's fall back to being, you know, a normal super-athletic person.

I suspect that's what his mindset was the offseason before 2014-15, when he dropped a ton of weight (he said it was because he cut out carbs), but then had second thoughts when he wasn't the same player early on in that season. As you might recall, he took a two-week break in the middle of that season and came out like a house on fire.

In other words, it's possible Lebron sees the end of his tunnel, already thinks of himself as the greatest player of all time anyway, and just eases into a more stable and healthy training and nutrition regimen and gradually fades like a normal human. On the other hand, I also wouldn't be surprised if at age 38 he's playing in the finals and is somehow still the most athletic and ripped player on the court.

« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2019, 04:32:02 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Does Lebron make all NBA second team this year? Third? He isn't really in play for the first team.

Late enough in the season now that things aren't going to change much, probably pretty safe to make guesses now.

1st
G Harden
G Curry
F Antetokounmpo
F Leonard
C Embiid

2nd
G Irving
G Lillard
F George
F Durant
C Jokic

3rd
G Westbrook
G Simmons
F James
F Griffin
C Towns

After Harden, I could see the next 3 guards (Curry, Lillard, Irving) going any which way, and Westbrook close behind, after that big drop off in guards. Going with Simmons for the last spot (much to the dismay of many here probably), but I feel like that could go to one of several guys too: Walker (team sucks), Beal (team sucks), Mitchell, Murray (here due to record), Thompson.

After Giannis, I could see the next 4 forwards (Leonard, George, Durant, James) going any which way.  Kawhi might drop to 2nd team because he's missed a few games, LeBron probably drops to 3rd team due to the 2nd half stank that's on him.  Griffin rounds out the group a tier below those mentioned, but above all others.  LeBron was amazing first half of the season though, when he had the Lakers 4th in the West through the end of December.  Post injury, he's put up same numbers, but the team falling apart (whether injuries or his leadership) really hurts him.

Whatever position Davis is classified at (F or C), he probably doesn't get the votes due to the trade request drama and his team sucking, despite still putting up great numbers (which just reinforces his desire to get out of New Orleans).

« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 04:38:48 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2019, 04:52:18 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I still think Lebron can find the right "nutrition" and "investment in his body" to play at an elite level for the next several years.

Is this code for sending Mr. Rich Paul to one Anthony Bosch again?

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2019, 04:56:20 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
I'd push back on the notion that Lebron has aged so much this season. There has been talk about him slipping on defense since he came back to Cleveland 4 years ago. And he's still averaging 27-8-8 in 35 minutes a game this year. The stats obviously don't tell the whole story but I think this aging has been as gradual as you'd expect and I think it'll continue next season.

As for the All NBA teams, Giannis, George, Kawhi, and Durant should be comfortably over Lebron for the first 4 forward spots. After that, James should still make the third team.

1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008