Author Topic: Patriots Free Agency Thread  (Read 47269 times)

Re: Patriots Free Agency Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Jabaal Sheard is gone to the Colts

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Colts giving Jabaal Sheard a three-year deal for $25.5M, including $12.75M guaranteed, per source.

Eww. The Colts.

But they overpaid for him LOL.

He helped at times but honestly seemed to disappear a lot as well. Was in BB's doghouse for a time also.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2017, 05:33:52 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Pats just traded for Kony Ealy from the Panthers.

Pats 2nd rounder for Ealy + Carolina 3rd rounder.

So basically they traded down 8 spots to take a flyer on Ealy? Not bad. I don't know what Ealy will give them but worth the risk if that's all it costs.

He pretty much replaces Chris Long in a sense and had a BEAST SB50.

Still think they'll draft some pass rush as well in the early rounds.

« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2017, 05:34:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).

I've read that Cooks is going to be moved today.

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is traded. The Pats receiver core is long in the tooth.

I wouldn't call them long in the tooth. Edelman is 30, but Hogan is 28, Mitchell is 24, and Floyd is 27. Amendola's 31, but he's not a huge part of their offense.
Floyd is not under contract, and given that he's going to spend a lot of time in jail and away from the team, it's unclear how this will pan out. Amendola just restructured, so he'll likely be around for a year or two.

I still think the plan is to either match Butler or have him play for the QO and then perhaps franchise him next season -- but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to flip him for Cooks.

Wait did Amendola already restructure?

I know he did the past few years but I haven't seen any news saying he's done it already this year.

« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2017, 05:54:48 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Jabaal Sheard is gone to the Colts

Adam Schefter‏Verified account @AdamSchefter 5m5 minutes ago

Colts giving Jabaal Sheard a three-year deal for $25.5M, including $12.75M guaranteed, per source.

I like to see guys who leave get good $$. Makes it look like a good financial investment to come here and win, so encourage more "make good" deals for FA's. 

« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2017, 06:05:14 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
Good take on why Pats might be pursuing Cooks: http://www.weei.com/sports/boston/football/patriots/ryan-hannable/2017/03/08/making-sense-patriots-being-interested-addi

(Note, I still don't think it happens, I think the goal is partnering Butler with Gilmore).

I wouldn't be surprised if Butler is traded. The Pats receiver core is long in the tooth.

I wouldn't call them long in the tooth. Edelman is 30, but Hogan is 28, Mitchell is 24, and Floyd is 27. Amendola's 31, but he's not a huge part of their offense.
Floyd is not under contract, and given that he's going to spend a lot of time in jail and away from the team, it's unclear how this will pan out. Amendola just restructured, so he'll likely be around for a year or two.

I still think the plan is to either match Butler or have him play for the QO and then perhaps franchise him next season -- but I wouldn't be surprised if they choose to flip him for Cooks.

I know he did the past few years but I haven't seen any news saying he's done it already this year.
nope. He did it last year and he'll have to do it again if he wants to play with Tom Brady again next season.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2017, 06:29:47 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ealy may be a piece of work:  http://www.thescore.com/news/958909

The lawsuit states the three men started spending time together, and Ealy and Jones told Johnson of their plans to breed and sell Boerboels, a dog breed that can reach more than 200 pounds. Johnson says the brothers asked him for $6,000 to purchase a breeding female, promising their business would bring in $35,000 per litter and over $1 million per year.

On July 12, Johnson wrote a check for $3,000, but no dog or litter were ever produced, and his repeated calls for a refund went unanswered, according to the lawsuit.

I personally don't mind if he can pressure opposing QBs.  Gotta appreciate a man with his level of business acumen, too.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2017, 06:38:03 PM by tarheelsxxiii »
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #66 on: March 10, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

It seems I stumbled into an article from last year. OTOH, I did find this:

http://www.patspulpit.com/2017/2/20/14666990/new-england-patriots-danny-amendola-open-pay-cut-nfl-offseason-tom-brady-super-bowl-free-agency
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #67 on: March 10, 2017, 06:40:47 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Martysaurus Rex to Green Bay.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #68 on: March 10, 2017, 06:51:42 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Martysaurus Rex to Green Bay.
I'm curious about the contract details on this one.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #69 on: March 10, 2017, 07:41:46 PM »

Offline MJohnnyboy

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 269
Holy Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline..

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/840361522429870081

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2017, 07:47:16 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
Holy ****.

Wow.  Pats seem to be going all in.    So Butler is still in play. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2017, 07:50:31 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Offseason feels a lot like '07.

Team should be unfair.

That said, plenty of super teams have failed miserably.

Perhaps Jimmy gets moved to refill the coffers in terms of picks?
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2017, 07:54:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Holy ****.

In the words of TB12: "LETS GOOOOOO"

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2017, 08:00:13 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Holy ****.

That was my thought as well. Pats going all in. And even after all this wheeling and dealing they have about $30+M left in cap space.

My hopes right now are that Pats re-sign Hightower and extend Butler, then just sit back and take BPA with whatever picks they have available at the draft.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2017, 08:03:23 PM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
Brady
Cooks
Lewis
Gronkowski
Edelman
Mitchell
Allen
Hogan
solid-good O-line

Brady taking aim at Manning's 55 TD record?