Author Topic: Hypothetical: Would You Trade Jaylen Brown for the 2021 1st Overall Pick?  (Read 10686 times)

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
I’d consider reading Brown in the right package for an established star, not some 19 year old kid.

This.
Yeah, this is sort of where I fall too. We'd be trading Brown for a gamble, where the pick most likely will never be as good as Brown.

Also, the whole "Brown has peaked" thing is absolutely crazy to me. We're talking about a wing who has made almost unforeseen progress with his ball-handling, shooting and playmaking in general, and he's peaked because he has tendonitis?? You can't be serious, tendonitis is not some nail in the coffin
Time will tell mate. Again, his game relies on athleticism. He ain't a crafty player like Tatum, Hayward, Jokic, Luka, Duncan, Manu, CP3, Dirk, Kidd, Nash, etc. Not saying he'll fall off a cliff or anything. Just that I don't think he'll continue his upward trend next season, now that he'll have to adjust his game.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I’d consider reading Brown in the right package for an established star, not some 19 year old kid.

This.
Yeah, this is sort of where I fall too. We'd be trading Brown for a gamble, where the pick most likely will never be as good as Brown.

Also, the whole "Brown has peaked" thing is absolutely crazy to me. We're talking about a wing who has made almost unforeseen progress with his ball-handling, shooting and playmaking in general, and he's peaked because he has tendonitis?? You can't be serious, tendonitis is not some nail in the coffin
Time will tell mate. Again, his game relies on athleticism. He ain't a crafty player like Tatum, Hayward, Jokic, Luka, Duncan, Manu, CP3, Dirk, Kidd, Nash, etc. Not saying he'll fall off a cliff or anything. Just that I don't think he'll continue his upward trend next season, now that he'll have to adjust his game.
I just don't think this is true at all. He utilises athleticism - wholly different from relying upon athleticism
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

This.

While I generally agree with the rest of your post, you’ve gotta be exaggerating right? Jaylen is a deserving allstar but he’s not some scrub who came out of nowhere and is now an allstar this year. He had a chance (albeit a small one) at becoming one last year. It took him 5 years of solid progress to get where he’s at.

JB is good but let’s pump the brakes a bit on this hype train. His progress isn’t “unforeseen” and it’s not like he’s one of the few #3 picks to play at an allstar level.

- LilRip

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 486
The best player since Jordan just waxed poetic about how underrated JB is, and he's a freaking Laker.

#JKJB

On a side note, I think it's funny how when Jaylen was full of potential, people wanted to trade him for a 25+ ppg star in his prime.

Now In Jaylens first all star campaign where he was around 25 ish a game, people want to trade him for theoretical rookies who haven't played a game in the NCAA tourney yet. Life's funny sometimes
#JKJB

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
If I think who + Tatum would make us legit title contenders, the only two are Jokic and AD.  My guess is Jaylen doesn't get us either.  So pass

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

This.

To me it means that he has a ton more room for improvement while the Tatums and Haywards of the world have less room to improve: it gets more and more difficult to improve your skills/awareness/BBIQ the higher up you go unless you're a generational talent like LeBron, while a player who's relatively more raw has more obvious ways to upgrade those things.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

This.

While I generally agree with the rest of your post, you’ve gotta be exaggerating right? Jaylen is a deserving allstar but he’s not some scrub who came out of nowhere and is now an allstar this year. He had a chance (albeit a small one) at becoming one last year. It took him 5 years of solid progress to get where he’s at.

JB is good but let’s pump the brakes a bit on this hype train. His progress isn’t “unforeseen” and it’s not like he’s one of the few #3 picks to play at an allstar level.
When you consider where he was 5 years ago(he was a wing with no handle, no shot and poor decision making/awareness) I do think that his improvement is up there among unlikely leaps for a 19-20 year old prospect in 4-5 years.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
If I think who + Tatum would make us legit title contenders, the only two are Jokic and AD.  My guess is Jaylen doesn't get us either.  So pass
Jokic/AD + Brown would also make us legitimate title contenders :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I’m not averse to trading Jaylen Brown. I think he’s closer to Westbrook-impact (great individual player, but won’t lift teams) but he’s such a hot commodity now that we can sell-high on him. That said, I’m not convinced this is the right package. Granted, I don’t know much about Cunningham so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Trading a proven all-star for a rookie sounds like you’re going backwards/rebuilding than moving forward.
Jaylen's way of impacting the game is nothing like Westbrook's? ??? ??? ???

One of them is a great floor raiser with almost zero ability to raise the ceiling of good teams while the other is a decent floor raiser who's built to raise the ceiling of quality squads looking to get to the next level.
I guess what I meant was: he’s going to be an allstar but he can’t be your best player. Whether his team wins or not, I think he’s got the ability to consistently make a strong case for an allstar bid and get his numbers.

Does that contribute to winning? Sometimes
Does that contribute to losing? I don’t necessarily think so either

He’s in that tier of stars you don’t build around. But he’s still a star. I mean, if he wasn’t, then there’s no chance we could even hypothetically get the #1 pick for him.
Tatum can't be your best player when you're looking for a player to build around by your logic then :laugh:
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
The disrespect that Brown is getting from fans of the team he plays for is insane: this is as asinine as proposing trading Tatum for the first pick in the NBA draft so we can select Cade Cunningham imo (the only prospect in the upcoming few years I might trade the Jays for is the 7'3 French kid if he develops his body a bit more before entering the '22 or '23 draft, he looks absolutely unreal).
Hard pass on trading Brown/Tatum for a 7'3'' prospect. No matter how talented he is, chances are he won't stay healthy. Plenty of names come to mind. For instance, Arvydas Sabonis, Ralph Sampson (he was actually 7'4''), Porzingis, just to name a few high-profile players. Fwiw, Brown himself ain't exactly an ironman either. I would argue he ain't the same player since he got diagnosed with patellar tendonitis. He even admitted that he isn't 100% healthy.

''To me, being in the dunk contest wasn’t the best decision for me and my body at the time right now. (...) My eyes are down the stretch and getting 100 percent healthy which I haven’t been for a while and trying to continue to get better. (...) I don’t want to think about my knee or anything. It feels a lot better after a win of course''.

Imo, Brown has peaked. He's an explosive wing who's now trying to adjust his game because of tendonitis. It seems like he's passing the ball more. He's attacking the basket less frequently. He ain't attempting many dunks. This may be an ongoing issue for him throughout his career. Here's a quote from Ainge:

“We’re concerned. Jaylen has tendonitis in his knee. I played 14 years with tendonitis in my knee, it flares up, it just comes and goes.”

Brown is locked up for 4 seasons on a team friendly contract. Imo, his trade value will never be higher. Danny should always try to buy low and sell high. Wouldn't be against selling high on Brown. I'd only do it for Cunningham though. I'm a sucker for high BBIQ players.
Considering that Sabonis had 4-6 really good years from '82-'88, I would take those 4-6 years of all-time great/strong MVP impact over a 6-10 year stretch of good/All-Star to All-NBA impact. Btw Kareem would've been listed at 7'3 or 7'4 if he was measured in the 80s/90s (he's taller than Sampson in almost every picture taken with the two of them) and he had insane longevity lol, so it isn't like freakishly tall guys are all made of glass.

Also we don't know if Brown's injury is chronic yet (a quote by Ainge retelling his experience in the Precambrian period for sports and medical science only raises minor concern from me rather than believing that Brown is going to be Kemba 2.0 where he'll have to manage his knee carefully for the rest of his career with periodic stem cell injections), for all we know the injury can be minor and Brown can recover in a few months with proper medical care that will likely be provided in the modern NBA.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
I’m not averse to trading Jaylen Brown. I think he’s closer to Westbrook-impact (great individual player, but won’t lift teams) but he’s such a hot commodity now that we can sell-high on him. That said, I’m not convinced this is the right package. Granted, I don’t know much about Cunningham so take my opinion with a grain of salt. Trading a proven all-star for a rookie sounds like you’re going backwards/rebuilding than moving forward.
Jaylen's way of impacting the game is nothing like Westbrook's? ??? ??? ???

One of them is a great floor raiser with almost zero ability to raise the ceiling of good teams while the other is a decent floor raiser who's built to raise the ceiling of quality squads looking to get to the next level.
I guess what I meant was: he’s going to be an allstar but he can’t be your best player. Whether his team wins or not, I think he’s got the ability to consistently make a strong case for an allstar bid and get his numbers.

Does that contribute to winning? Sometimes
Does that contribute to losing? I don’t necessarily think so either

He’s in that tier of stars you don’t build around. But he’s still a star. I mean, if he wasn’t, then there’s no chance we could even hypothetically get the #1 pick for him.
Tatum can't be your best player when you're looking for a player to build around by your logic then :laugh:

Lol sure if that’s your assessment of him. But imo, Tatum is absolutely someone you build around. He already makes guys better by being on the floor, and he’s getting better at it as the season goes on.

- LilRip

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
This is nuts.
What is nuts is the level of homerism on this blog. Cade Cunningham is a generational talent. If you ask me, he's the best draft eligible player since Luka. He's 6'8'' with a 7' wingspan. He's an unselfish ball handler with elite BBIQ! He can create shots for himself. He can create shots for his teammates. He's a PnR maestro. He's a terrific shooter. He can shoot 3s off the dribble. He defends multiple positions. He's a very good rebounder. He can play on or off the ball. He can do it all! He literally has zero weaknesses! Can't think of another player like him. He's truly special! Cunningham and Tatum would dominate the league for the next decade!

Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great player. I don't want us to trade him. It's just that I'm very high on Cunnigham.

I bet most lotto teams would rather have Cunningham over Brown. It all depends on which team wins the lottery.

You are arguing on a blog that most posters would not even trade Brown for Harden. I am not advocating Brown for Cunningham because I Have not watched Cunningham play, but I am just saying Cs fans overvalue their players.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
It is no secret I was perfectly fine with trading Brown for Leonard (a couple of years ago) or Brown for Harden this year, but those were actual top 5 players in their prime.  No way I'd move Brown for a draft pick in this draft.  Especially this draft where there isn't a surefire slam dunk no questions asked player.  Just too much uncertainty to make that even close to be worthwhile.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas

This.

When you consider where he was 5 years ago(he was a wing with no handle, no shot and poor decision making/awareness) I do think that his improvement is up there among unlikely leaps for a 19-20 year old prospect in 4-5 years.

I don’t know. I mean, in his draft class alone, you have guys like Murray and Ingram (younger than him), Sabonis (same age) and Siakam (older) who have all turned out well after 5 years of being in the league. And that’s just his draft class alone

I’m not knocking JB’s progress but to call his rise to stardom as “almost unforeseen” is Celtic fan hyperbole.

You know what’s almost unforeseen? IT4, standing 5’9” and drafted 60th, becoming a franchise player and putting up historic numbers during his time with us.

- LilRip

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
This is nuts.
What is nuts is the level of homerism on this blog. Cade Cunningham is a generational talent. If you ask me, he's the best draft eligible player since Luka. He's 6'8'' with a 7' wingspan. He's an unselfish ball handler with elite BBIQ! He can create shots for himself. He can create shots for his teammates. He's a PnR maestro. He's a terrific shooter. He can shoot 3s off the dribble. He defends multiple positions. He's a very good rebounder. He can play on or off the ball. He can do it all! He literally has zero weaknesses! Can't think of another player like him. He's truly special! Cunningham and Tatum would dominate the league for the next decade!

Don't get me wrong, Brown is a great player. I don't want us to trade him. It's just that I'm very high on Cunnigham.

I bet most lotto teams would rather have Cunningham over Brown. It all depends on which team wins the lottery.

You are arguing on a blog that most posters would not even trade Brown for Harden. I am not advocating Brown for Cunningham because I Have not watched Cunningham play, but I am just saying Cs fans overvalue their players.

Lol well... good point. I mean, people here wouldn’t have traded him for Kawhi either. So yeah, I doubt they’d trade him for anyone, not even Giannis (can’t shoot) or AD (too old) or Jokic (too slow) or Embiid (too annoying)

- LilRip