Author Topic: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)  (Read 366718 times)

Re: All Things Philadelphia 76ers (merged Sixers threads)
« Reply #1605 on: December 17, 2018, 07:41:07 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Eh, if Simmons' shooting is an issue they can just flip him for some other all-star. 

Pointless to talk about it.  That team is stacked.  Lock the thread.  It's over.

Stacked ????? a six men deep team (and i am generous) is stacked ???
True, I stopped at the:
"if Simmons' shooting is an issue they can just flip him for some other all-star."
Ya'll know GIannis can't shoot either, right?

Simmons is great.  If he's a bad mix, they can trade him for someone else.  Maybe they should use him to trade for Anthony Davis right now.  IF you're the pelicans you probably strongly prefer a package around Ben Simmons than a pu-pu platter offer from the Lakers or Celtics.

If NO decides to trade Davis they most certainly will wait til season’s end so that Boston can participate in the bidding pool. Actually I could see Philly offering Simmons; the market seems to put a higher value on his worth than his actual utility for Philly. But you’d have to wonder if Davis and Embiid together makes much sense.

Regardless, a Boston package centered on Tatum and multiple first round picks probably would be more attractive than an offer centered around Simmons and filler (please don’t mention Fultz as an asset). And yes, I think we will have to include Tatum to get Davis, and we would be pretty stupid not to if that was the only thing standing in our way.

« Reply #1606 on: December 17, 2018, 08:45:59 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Eh, if Simmons' shooting is an issue they can just flip him for some other all-star. 

Pointless to talk about it.  That team is stacked.  Lock the thread.  It's over.

True, I stopped at the:
"if Simmons' shooting is an issue they can just flip him for some other all-star."

Simmons is great.  If he's a bad mix, they can trade him for someone else.  Maybe they should use him to trade for Anthony Davis right now.  IF you're the pelicans you probably strongly prefer a package around Ben Simmons than a pu-pu platter offer from the Lakers or Celtics.

If NO decides to trade Davis they most certainly will wait til season’s end so that Boston can participate in the bidding pool. Actually I could see Philly offering Simmons; the market seems to put a higher value on his worth than his actual utility for Philly. But you’d have to wonder if Davis and Embiid together makes much sense.

Regardless, a Boston package centered on Tatum and multiple first round picks probably would be more attractive than an offer centered around Simmons and filler (please don’t mention Fultz as an asset). And yes, I think we will have to include Tatum to get Davis, and we would be pretty stupid not to if that was the only thing standing in our way.
Sixers have the unprotected Miami 2021 1st to offer.  I think AD and Embiid would make sense.  Offset their minutes so one of them is always on the floor.  Defense would be stellar.  When they're both on the floor, how would you defend them? 

« Reply #1607 on: December 17, 2018, 08:51:07 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 291
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
The last question was: Is the problem simply that Embiid and Simmons can't play together?

Let's look at the net ratings and the minutes played together. Philadelphia is a very polarizing team and therefore I can divide the team into 4 groups: Embiid, Simmons, starters (Redick, Butler and Chandler) and role players (Korkmaz, Muscala, McConnell and Shamet).

Moreover I can distinguish 6 different type of line ups. Those group of players of course don't have the same amount of playing time. The distribution is best expained as follows:

Embiid + Simmons + starters (18 minutes)
Embiid + starters (6 minutes)
Simmons + starters (6 minutes)
Embiid + Simmons + role players (6 minutes)
Embiid + role players (6 minutes)
Simmons + role players (6 minutes)

Now, how can the starters have a huge positive net rating (averaging around +8), slightly better even than Embiid (+7), Simmons have a modest (+3) rating and the role players being negative (averaging around -2)? Just play the game and allocate values to the line ups above and see how you can come up with the appropriate net ratings. The result:

Embiid + Simmons + starters (+2, big positive)
Embiid + starters (+2, big positive)
Simmons + starters (0, neutral)
Embiid + Simmons + role players (-2, big negative)
Embiid + role players (+1, positive)
Simmons + role players (-1, negative)

What do we observe?

As we see the starting line-up is doing great, but they are doing just as well without Simmons. However the starters need Embiid, since without him they are at best equal to their opponent.

In fact Embiid with a bunch of bad role players does better than the other starters on their own. Simmons can't elevate either the starters or the role players. Is that his fault? Can we not simply conclude that without Embiid the 76ers are a below average NBA team? That the 76ers consist of a superstar (Embiid), a couple of very good starters (Butler, Simmons, Redick) and a worthless bench?

Yes, we can. But we haven't looked at the 4th line-up and that's the worst performing unit (Embiid + Simmons + role players). Why does a good performing bench unit that consists of Embiid + role players, suddenly become terrible when Simmons gets on the court for just some  worthless role player?

Is that worthless role player that's willing to shoot, but doesn't command the ball more useful than Simmons in a unit with Embiid? It seems like it. The starters have a lot of scoring power and that's probably why Simmons can be filled in that line-up with Embiid. But without those big threats Simmons becomes a liability for Embiid. Defenses can collapse against lesser shooters, but especially when non-shooters are on the court.

My conclusions:

• Embiid is simply an amazing player. He really doesn't need much help to beat up other teams.
  • Simmons can't lead his team very far without Embiid.
  • I would say that Simmons is still a decent player though.
  • Simmons needs to learn to shoot to become a great player.
  • Embiid doesn't need Simmons, in fact he's better off without him.
  • The Philadelphia 76ers should trade Simmons as soon as possible.

To answer the question (Is the problem simply that Embiid and Simmons can't play together?): yes

« Reply #1608 on: December 17, 2018, 08:57:26 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Only on this board do we get the ideas of trading Kyrie Irving for whiteside while our competitors get Anthony Davis for Simmons and a draft pick 3 years down the line. Sickening

« Reply #1609 on: December 17, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

True, I stopped at the:

Sixers have the unprotected Miami 2021 1st to offer.  I think AD and Embiid would make sense.  Offset their minutes so one of them is always on the floor.  Defense would be stellar.  When they're both on the floor, how would you defend them?

Bird in the hand....

No idea what a 2021 Miami pick is worth. Not much to a team trying to rebuild right away. Certainly not what Boston could offer in terms of picks.

« Reply #1610 on: December 17, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

True, I stopped at the:

Bird in the hand....

No idea what a 2021 Miami pick is worth. Not much to a team trying to rebuild right away. Certainly not what Boston could offer in terms of picks.
Unprotected picks are always valuable.  Our picks aren't looking that hot at the moment.  Although the Kings are getting destroyed by the TWolves at the moment. 

The question is what would NOP want if they put AD on the market?  The Spurs wanted a star in return for Kawhi not young players and picks. 

« Reply #1611 on: December 17, 2018, 09:18:37 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

True, I stopped at the:

Bird in the hand....

Unprotected picks are always valuable.  Our picks aren't looking that hot at the moment.  Although the Kings are getting destroyed by the TWolves at the moment. 

The question is what would NOP want if they put AD on the market?  The Spurs wanted a star in return for Kawhi not young players and picks.

Sorry an unprotected 2021 pick is not worth 4 2019 picks one of which is almost certainly a lottery pick. No one can predict where in the draft a 2021 Miami pick will land, never mind having to wait 2 additional years to find out.

Of course it could boil down to who New Orleans would prefer building a new team around: Simmons, An elite play maker but poor outside shooter, or Tatum, an up and coming 20 plus ppg scorer? Since Boston could add other intriguing parts (Brown, Smart, Williams?), that, along with the much better package of picks is where Boston separates itself from the competition.

But we better be ready to include Tatum otherwise we will get outbid.

If we manage to win it all this season as constructed (and I still don’t rue our that possibility) then It is less likely that we would even pursue an AD trade.

Just too many unknowns.

« Reply #1612 on: December 17, 2018, 10:09:12 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

True, I stopped at the:

Bird in the hand....

Sorry an unprotected 2021 pick is not worth 4 2019 picks one of which is almost certainly a lottery pick. No one can predict where in the draft a 2021 Miami pick will land, never mind having to wait 2 additional years to find out.

Of course it could boil down to who New Orleans would prefer building a new team around: Simmons, An elite play maker but poor outside shooter, or Tatum, an up and coming 20 plus ppg scorer? Since Boston could add other intriguing parts (Brown, Smart, Williams?), that, along with the much better package of picks is where Boston separates itself from the competition.

If we manage to win it all this season as constructed (and I still don’t rue our that possibility) then It is less likely that we would even pursue an AD trade.

Just too many unknowns.
To be fair, the Sixers have all of their own picks they can include in any trade and the Bulls 2nd round pick next summer.  So it isn't exactly fair to say the 2021 Miami pick vs. 4 2019 picks since the Sixers at least can throw in some late 1st rounders and a high 2nd rounder.  So it is more like Simmons, 2019 Philly, 2019 Chicago 2nd, 2021 Philly, 2021 Miami vs. Tatum and the four 2019 picks (and perhaps the C's 2021 1st).  And the Clippers pick still has a pretty decent chance of ending up as a future 2nd round pick and who knows when the Memphis pick will actually convey as it to has protections (and let's not think about what happens if that Sacto pick lands at #1 and ends up in Philly's hands). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1613 on: December 18, 2018, 12:38:11 AM »

Offline 10610786d

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 27
Simmons this year has actually regressed in his outside shooting. Last year he took 79% of his shots from inside 10 feet. In last year's playoffs that went to 86%. This season it's at a tick over 90%. He isn't even trying to take shots outside of ten feet. Out of 1459 shots he has taken in his career, playoffs included, he has taken 12 three pointers and made none. This year he has not hit a hot from outside of 16 feet.

Think about that. Out of 336 shots so far this year he hasn't hit one from outside 16 feet. That makes game planning for him and the Philly offense in a 7 game series so easy

How does he compare to Giannis then.

Guess Simmons just isn't freakish enough to justify having zero jumpshot.
Giannis, for his career has these percentages of shots taken within 10 feet
57.4%
68.4%
68.9%
64.5%
61.7%
73.7%

So he averages about 65% of his shots from within 10 feet on any given year, though this year he is at his career highest of 73.7%. Lots of season still to play so that could go down. Giannis has also shot 652 three pointers his career at 27%.

So, there is a big difference between the two players in how they take shots. Giannis obviously sees he needs to take three pointers to keep the defense honest. Simmons doesn't even try.

And because of that Simmons is putting up almost identical stats as last year and shows no development. Until he starts taking outside shots and hitting them, Simmons will probably just be what he is now for a long time.

And if he is going to stay like this most coaches will just steal Boston's game plan from last year and have him put up numbers below his regular season averages in more minutes played per game

Career Reg season - Playoffs vs Boston
33.6 - 36.4 MPG
15.8 - 14.4 PPG
8.4 - 8.2 RPG
8.1 - 7.4 APG
55.2 - 47.5 FG%
3.4 - 4.8 TOVPG.

So his per 36 numbers of his career would make his per game points scored, rebounds and assists look even higher as compared to that Boston playoff series. Boston established the blueprint on how to frustrate him and limit Simmons' impact.

TP. I overlooked the fact that Giannis actually bothers shooting.

But we can still go under screens and meet Giannis at the rim with Baynes without much consequence.

« Reply #1614 on: December 18, 2018, 01:01:40 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

True, I stopped at the:

Bird in the hand....

Just too many unknowns.
To be fair, the Sixers have all of their own picks they can include in any trade and the Bulls 2nd round pick next summer.  So it isn't exactly fair to say the 2021 Miami pick vs. 4 2019 picks since the Sixers at least can throw in some late 1st rounders and a high 2nd rounder.  So it is more like Simmons, 2019 Philly, 2019 Chicago 2nd, 2021 Philly, 2021 Miami vs. Tatum and the four 2019 picks (and perhaps the C's 2021 1st).  And the Clippers pick still has a pretty decent chance of ending up as a future 2nd round pick and who knows when the Memphis pick will actually convey as it to has protections (and let's not think about what happens if that Sacto pick lands at #1 and ends up in Philly's hands).

I can tell you one thing with extreme certainty. There is not a single poster on this board that has ever worried whether you were fair towards the 76ers in your posts about them. Lol

« Reply #1615 on: December 18, 2018, 06:13:30 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

True, I stopped at the:

Bird in the hand....

Just too many unknowns.

I can tell you one thing with extreme certainty. There is not a single poster on this board that has ever worried whether you were fair towards the 76ers in your posts about them. Lol
well maybe people shouldn't be intellectually dishonest and need to be corrected all the time.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #1616 on: December 19, 2018, 03:35:25 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Hey, here is a blasphemous trade, Sixers trade Embiid straight up for Davis. Salaries match up perfectly. Maybe Sixers need to throw in a first as well but as far as getting value in return, nobody could beat that trade. One monster for another monster. The injury risk to Embiid though might necessitate them adding a draft pick or two to the pot.

Butler, Davis and Simmons would be an interesting trio.

« Reply #1617 on: December 19, 2018, 04:46:56 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Hey, here is a blasphemous trade, Sixers trade Embiid straight up for Davis. Salaries match up perfectly. Maybe Sixers need to throw in a first as well but as far as getting value in return, nobody could beat that trade. One monster for another monster. The injury risk to Embiid though might necessitate them adding a draft pick or two to the pot.

Butler, Davis and Simmons would be an interesting trio.

76ers fans have discussed this possibility. Davis and Simmons might fit a bit together given that Davis is a better floor spacer. While Davis only shoots like 4-5% higher from outside I believe he also has a much smoother and quicker release. I am sure the 76ers would only do this if davis agreed to resign with them.

« Reply #1618 on: December 25, 2018, 08:12:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
STATEMENT. MADE.

We just somehow beat the "second most talented team in the East"!  ;D

But anyways, that was an extraordinary game. Idk how the rest of the season unfolds or how the seedings will pan out, but I think a PHI-BOS series in April-May would be another electrifying one. Adding Butler (to PHI) definitely adds more intrigue and hopefully by then Hayward will play even better. I expect both teams to also make an addition or two for depth and bench help.

"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #1619 on: December 25, 2018, 08:23:02 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
Let’s not get too excited, sixers played shorthand without their last year #1 pick !