Author Topic: Brandon Roy shot in leg shielding children from gunfire  (Read 9768 times)

Re: Brandon Roy shot in leg shielding children from gunfire
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2017, 02:00:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1551
Or you could just ban guns.  Far harder for innocents to get stabbed by stray knives than it is for them to get by stray bullets.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Brandon Roy Injured while protecting kids from gang-related gunfire
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I wish we could do more about gang violence. Isn't there some sort of RICO statute we can use? The very act of being in a gang should be illegal, and every member of such gang should be responsible for all crimes committed by the gang.

If that violates the law, change the law.
Well that sounds problematic.

I wonder if the same should be said about fraternities...

Lol. Yes, frats routinely murder innocent people.

Gang murders make up something like 15% of all homicides in the US, but let's compare them to fraternities.

I was thinking of rape.

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2017, 02:06:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Or you could just ban guns.  Far harder for innocents to get stabbed by stray knives than it is for them to get by stray bullets.

Guns have legit purposes. Street gangs don't.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2017, 02:20:33 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Who should we appoint the Grand Curator of "what's legit"? Freedom of assembly isn't optional and doesn't only apply to people you like.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2017, 02:25:52 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Who should we appoint the Grand Curator of "what's legit"? Freedom of assembly isn't optional and doesn't only apply to people you like.

Congress.

Freedom of association for criminal purposes shouldn't be protected. Is there a counterargument to that?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2017, 03:01:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Congress.

Freedom of association for criminal purposes shouldn't be protected. Is there a counterargument to that?
Unless you have a crystal ball, criminal purposes can only be established ipso facto.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2017, 03:06:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

Congress.

Unless you have a crystal ball, criminal purposes can only be established ipso facto.

That's not really true at all, but even if were, the gangs in question have long histories establishing them as criminal organizations.

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2017, 03:07:35 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I wish we could do more about gang violence. Isn't there some sort of RICO statute we can use? The very act of being in a gang should be illegal, and every member of such gang should be responsible for all crimes committed by the gang.

Gang murders make up something like 15% of all homicides in the US, but let's compare them to fraternities.

I think the point is "what is a gang"? We need to define a "gang" before we can prosecute a gang under RICO, I believe.

I do like your suggestion, Roy. Organized crime is bad, be it the Mafia or MS13. It would be great to tackle this.

But again, what is a "gang"? Does it include the KKK? Does it include the Aryan Brotherhood? Does it include Hells Angels?
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:19 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

Yea just like they have in Chicago! That will stop em....

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2017, 03:16:51 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I think the point is "what is a gang"? We need to define a "gang" before we can prosecute a gang under RICO, I believe.

I do like your suggestion, Roy. Organized crime is bad, be it the Mafia or MS13. It would be great to tackle this.

But again, what is a "gang"? Does it include the KKK? Does it include the Aryan Brotherhood? Does it include Hells Angels?

RICO is a good place to start. Organizations with significant ties to ongoing criminal activities. I think they should broaden the statute to make membership in such an organization illegal in itself.

I don't know the exact boundaries of the list, but traditionally the Mafia, the Hell's Angels, and domestic terrorist groups have all qualified.

« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2017, 03:17:00 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

And i'm going back to the
and every member of such gang should be responsible for all crimes committed by the gang.
Should that apply to all organizations? Why not? Why shouldn't it apply to banks, law firms, politicians, etc. Would really increase intra-peer accountability!

And, I'm assuming that if 1st ammendment rights can be revoked for probable future criminals, there's no problem evoking 2nd ammendment rights too. Package deal?

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2017, 03:23:53 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

and every member of such gang should be responsible for all crimes committed by the gang.
Should that apply to all organizations? Why not? Why shouldn't it apply to banks, law firms, politicians, etc. Would really increase intra-peer accountability!

And, I'm assuming that if 1st ammendment rights can be revoked for probable future criminals, there's no problem evoking 2nd ammendment rights too. Package deal?

The difference is that most organizations aren't created specifically for purposes of committing crimes. Those that are should be broken up.

What is it about MS13's charter that you find so appealing?

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/crime/long-island-teen-butchered-turning-back-ms-13-pal-sister-article-1.3055720

I'd hate to violate the rights of these fine young men by limiting their right to assemble for purposes of committing more atrocities.

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

The difference is that most organizations aren't created specifically for purposes of committing crimes. Those that are should be broken up.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nydailynews.com/amp/news/crime/long-island-teen-butchered-turning-back-ms-13-pal-sister-article-1.3055720

I'd hate to violate the rights of these fine young men by limiting their right to assemble for purposes of committing more atrocities.
I didn't realize that gangs conveniently come with charters that spell out all their criminal intents. That changes everything.

So I'm guessing it's going to be ok if gangs subscribe to a specific legit purpose and then engage in criminal activity on the side? That's going to make them almost like guns.

« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith

I didn't realize that gangs conveniently come with charters that spell out all their criminal intents. That changes everything.

So I'm guessing it's going to be ok if gangs subscribe to a specific legit purpose and then engage in criminal activity on the side? That's going to make them almost like guns.

There are tens of millions of law-abiding gun owners.  What percentage of MS-13 would you consider to be law-abiding?

I'm in favor of some degree of gun control. I'm also in favor of getting violent thugs who murder children off the streets.

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2017, 03:44:07 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
You would also have to define membership/affiliation with a gang. It's not like they sign a paper to become members. It's likely that to prove membership in a gang, you'd have to prove they acted on the part of a gang, which likely means they were caught doing something illegal anyway so you're already prosecuting them at that point.