Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20218 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #120 on: March 27, 2020, 09:45:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Personally, I'm not a fan of resuming the season under the proposed circumstances. If they did, I wouldn't be against it just for entertainment and watching basketball, but please don't tell me that some mini-tournament held in a state like Nebraska (as @celticsclay mentioned above) without fans is going to just make up for the Finals and that's how we crown a team like the Lakers their 17th banner, or someone else.

Also, I can't imagine between the NHL-NBA that one league resumes, the other cancels. Either they both resume in some form, or cancel together. There doesn't seem to be much optimism that hockey resumes though.

The Olympics getting cancelled I think sealed the deal. This season is getting cancelled. Same with NHL. Hell, there's already rumors that baseball won't have a season + NFL season gets delayed.

I am totally against it if the Lakers win, but totally for it if the Cs are the champions  :P

I mean hey, Bruins technically are already Stanley Cup Champs if the season doesn't resume because of the rules + them being the best team in the standings as of now. GET THE DUCK BOATS READY!  ;)
One player per duckboat as they parade down the completely empty streets of Boston.

« Reply #121 on: March 28, 2020, 10:07:08 AM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941

« Reply #122 on: March 31, 2020, 08:53:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-almost-100-percent-chance-204257973.html

Seems with each passing day, the idea that the league will resume this season seems more unlikely. 

Are you going to test players before each game for the coranavirus?  I don't see how this would get implemented in a responsible way.

« Reply #123 on: March 31, 2020, 09:21:05 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Seems with each passing day, the idea that the league will resume this season seems more unlikely. 

Are you going to test players before each game for the coranavirus?  I don't see how this would get implemented in a responsible way.

Oh, it's certain possible. It would be a massive undertaking, and require a lot of buy in from the players, referees, staff, and all of their families, but it could be done.

I have no idea where any of the parties actually stand on this, and there have definitely been some very vocal opponents of this. But if the people involved are on board, I do think it will happen.

I do hope, though, this isn't something being driven by TV networks or their sponsors.

« Reply #124 on: March 31, 2020, 09:42:12 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Oh, it's certain possible. It would be a massive undertaking, and require a lot of buy in from the players, referees, staff, and all of their families, but it could be done.

I have no idea where any of the parties actually stand on this, and there have definitely been some very vocal opponents of this. But if the people involved are on board, I do think it will happen.

I do hope, though, this isn't something being driven by TV networks or their sponsors.
It's being driven by money. The league doesn't want the national networks  to hold back 25% of what they would pay the NBA for the regular season and then whatever they would make for the playoffs.

And it works the same for the players. If the league gets less money from the networks for the year, the owners would most likely invoke their right to hold back money from the players.

The owners will need to, without the money coming in from the shutdown, reconfigure the amounts for the salary cap and luxury tax amounts. If that lesser amount of money also includes less income from national networks, the amount the salary cap, luxury tax line and max contracts for players would fall would be significant and likely to require smoothing being done to offset the drops that would occur.

So it's real easy to see what is driving this. It's not because the league wants to maintain some semblance of a season, like during years we had labor shutdowns, or to ensure they crown a champion. It's all about the money.

« Reply #125 on: March 31, 2020, 12:52:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

It's being driven by money. The league doesn't want the national networks  to hold back 25% of what they would pay the NBA for the regular season and then whatever they would make for the playoffs.

And it works the same for the players. If the league gets less money from the networks for the year, the owners would most likely invoke their right to hold back money from the players.

The owners will need to, without the money coming in from the shutdown, reconfigure the amounts for the salary cap and luxury tax amounts. If that lesser amount of money also includes less income from national networks, the amount the salary cap, luxury tax line and max contracts for players would fall would be significant and likely to require smoothing being done to offset the drops that would occur.

So it's real easy to see what is driving this. It's not because the league wants to maintain some semblance of a season, like during years we had labor shutdowns, or to ensure they crown a champion. It's all about the money.

This is kind of my issue with this too. This isn't really about basketball at all or determining who is a real champ from a level playing field. You have some players that may happen to live in New York, who can't even dream of accessing any kind of training facility for 6 weeks. Or those that live in San Francisco that have already been in a shelter in place for 3-4 weeks. You have other players that may live in Toronto, Houston, Indiana that could end up with shorter or longer time periods without access to gyms, training facilities and nutritionists depending on their cities peaks. Some players may have incredible home gyms, others may not. We really want to let things like that decide who is in best condition to play randomly in june with little to no warmup? It

« Reply #126 on: March 31, 2020, 01:31:58 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I could be wrong ....buttttttt i doubt it  ;D

Wait, are you the 'real' Charles Barkley?

;).  ....

« Reply #127 on: March 31, 2020, 01:40:39 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Update on this today, a best of three?

NBA executives still hope they can arrange a one-site 16-team playoff with a five-to-seven-game regular season as a warmup, all conducted without fans in attendance, according to multiple league sources.

“They’re very determined to have a champion,” one industry source said.

The playoffs could be reduced to best-of-three series for the duration of the playoffs, while a single-elimination format has been all but ruled out and would only be considered as a last resort.

“Nothing is off the table,” another league official said.

Las Vegas, Orlando, Atlantic City, Hawaii and Louisville have been mentioned as possible place to host the playoffs.

The NBA hasn't ruled out the possibility of canceling the season altogether.

What do people think of best of three? Last season for example Toronto would have been eliminated by Philly under this system. Spurs would have beat Denver in first round. Bucks would have beat Toronto.

« Reply #128 on: March 31, 2020, 01:53:19 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

This is kind of my issue with this too. This isn't really about basketball at all or determining who is a real champ from a level playing field. You have some players that may happen to live in New York, who can't even dream of accessing any kind of training facility for 6 weeks. Or those that live in San Francisco that have already been in a shelter in place for 3-4 weeks. You have other players that may live in Toronto, Houston, Indiana that could end up with shorter or longer time periods without access to gyms, training facilities and nutritionists depending on their cities peaks. Some players may have incredible home gyms, others may not. We really want to let things like that decide who is in best condition to play randomly in june with little to no warmup? It

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think the limitations are as restrictive as some of you all think.

Quarantine, shelter in place, non essential businesses closed, whatever the mandate is, if an NBA team wanted to practice tomorrow I don't think they'd have a problem. 

It's not like the police or army are going to be patrolling the streets and barricading the doors and arresting anyone that tries to cross.  I feel like I'm reading in the news everyday about places being open despite these mandates.

But for an NBA teams in an area where they're supposed to be closed, what's the penalty if they open?  A small fine?  A slap on the wrist?  Nothing?

Even if there were strict controls and penalties in place (which there aren't), I think it would be extremely easy for every NBA team to get some special waiver that they are allowed to open their practice facility.  (It's a small, controlled, environment, not open to the public, we're testing and monitoring our players health, insert more positive corporate spin here, yada, yada, yada).

Some will argue it will be a PR disaster, I disagree, but that's another argument.

I just think if the owners and players want to, they'll all have no problem getting access to basketball facilities to train and play.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #129 on: March 31, 2020, 02:03:11 PM »

Offline wvcelticsfan

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 4

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think the limitations are as restrictive as some of you all think.

Quarantine, shelter in place, non essential businesses closed, whatever the mandate is, if an NBA team wanted to practice tomorrow I don't think they'd have a problem. 

It's not like the police or army are going to be patrolling the streets and barricading the doors and arresting anyone that tries to cross.  I feel like I'm reading in the news everyday about places being open despite these mandates.

But for an NBA teams in an area where they're supposed to be closed, what's the penalty if they open?  A small fine?  A slap on the wrist?  Nothing?

Even if there were strict controls and penalties in place (which there aren't), I think it would be extremely easy for every NBA team to get some special waiver that they are allowed to open their practice facility.  (It's a small, controlled, environment, not open to the public, we're testing and monitoring our players health, insert more positive corporate spin here, yada, yada, yada).

Some will argue it will be a PR disaster, I disagree, but that's another argument.

I just think if the owners and players want to, they'll all have no problem getting access to basketball facilities to train and play.

We have thousands of people dying, over 3 million applied for unemployment last week (and that is probably underestimating it), small business shuttered and many probably going to go under, people wondering if they can put food on the table or pay their rent/mortgage, they're making hospitals out of parks, convention centers,  and who knows what else, and Silver wants to resume the season so some billionaires and multi-millionaires don't lose money, or because us basketball fans are bored or having withdrawal symptoms.

That's a really bad look for the NBA. That's on top of the bad look from when the teams were able to get dozens of tests when sick people couldn't get them at all.

The NCAA really gave up more. Those seniors won't be back for their chance to win a title next year, or even make the tournament.  You could argue that the universities need the tournament money way more than the NBA team owners, players, and staff need their money.

Honestly, I wish Silver would just cancel the season now.

« Reply #130 on: March 31, 2020, 02:06:17 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The logistics aside, which would be a massive undertaking, so would making sure that every player and person needing to be in contact with the teams is 1000% safe to be in the building when teams play, also be tremendously difficult and stressful to those involved.

That means every single player, coach, trainer, doctor, ball boy, coach, front office personnel, television broadcaster, camera guy, sound guy, and every single person needed to support these people moving equipment into and out of the building would need to be tested beforehand. Then they would need to 100% isolate for two weeks. Then they would be allowed to do what they have to without worry of infecting others.

That is a massive undertaking and a ridiculous request to put all these people through. It's especially crappy given the owners and Silver will be pushing this, yet none of them will be required to be there and undergo all the isolation and quarantining that all these other individuals would have to go through.

« Reply #131 on: March 31, 2020, 02:25:02 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586

The logistics aside, which would be a massive undertaking, so would making sure that every player and person needing to be in contact with the teams is 1000% safe to be in the building when teams play, also be tremendously difficult and stressful to those involved.

That means every single player, coach, trainer, doctor, ball boy, coach, front office personnel, television broadcaster, camera guy, sound guy, and every single person needed to support these people moving equipment into and out of the building would need to be tested beforehand. Then they would need to 100% isolate for two weeks. Then they would be allowed to do what they have to without worry of infecting others.

That is a massive undertaking and a ridiculous request to put all these people through. It's especially crappy given the owners and Silver will be pushing this, yet none of them will be required to be there and undergo all the isolation and quarantining that all these other individuals would have to go through.

Kind of think the NBA would be willing to forego the use of ball boys here  ;)

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class