Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20440 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #105 on: March 26, 2020, 01:15:23 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1395
LA Mayor says city will be closed down for 2 more months at least. Dudley says players would need a month to get back in shape with basically all gym and training facilities closed... wonder when NBA just throws in the towel.

« Reply #106 on: March 26, 2020, 03:31:33 PM »

Online blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1481
LA Mayor says city will be closed down for 2 more months at least. Dudley says players would need a month to get back in shape with basically all gym and training facilities closed... wonder when NBA just throws in the towel.

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have thrown it in, just not announced it yet.

« Reply #107 on: March 26, 2020, 06:31:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I wouldn't be surprised if they already have thrown it in, just not announced it yet.

Stick a fork in it.  This season is done.   Better to cut losses and prepare for the future.

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #108 on: March 26, 2020, 07:17:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
No way they can resume it. U.S. already has more than China and Italy. And even if China is faking numbers, it doesn't change the fact that the U.S has more than Italy, Spain and basically everyone else. Deaths unfortunately are soaring too now. And we might not have even hit the peak yet (which is a scary thought)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #109 on: March 27, 2020, 05:44:07 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Silver is continuing to push for the NBA to continue and trying some off the wall ideas like playing games in the midwest or the bahamas in empty stands. I kind of have switched how I feel about this fully. I still miss the NBA a lot and really has been awful not being able to see the Celtics or how the season would finish. However, how hard Silver is pushing is really starting to be in poor taste in my opinion. For one, the worst has not even hit yet, and they are preparing makeshift morgues in the streets of New York and other cities. 1000 people died in Italy today. It appears that this has crossed a line from wanting to be able to provide the fans an escape from the horrors of this, to just finding a way to get that TV money for the league. I also feel like the playoffs would really not be from a level playing field (which is the primary reason the olympics were canceled so early. In some parts of the country there are less strict shutdown rules and players can still be working with a trainer or at certain kinds of gym facilities. In other areas like New York, it would really be impossible to do this unless you happen to have a full gym at your place. Jared Dudley and some other players have mentioned they need a month at least to get back in shape. The plan is to rush this as much as possible and have some sloppy play like the lockout shortened season to determine a champion in a playoff series in Nebraska? It has become so ridiculous.

« Reply #110 on: March 27, 2020, 06:07:49 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Silver is continuing to push for the NBA to continue and trying some off the wall ideas like playing games in the midwest or the bahamas in empty stands. I kind of have switched how I feel about this fully. I still miss the NBA a lot and really has been awful not being able to see the Celtics or how the season would finish. However, how hard Silver is pushing is really starting to be in poor taste in my opinion. For one, the worst has not even hit yet, and they are preparing makeshift morgues in the streets of New York and other cities. 1000 people died in Italy today. It appears that this has crossed a line from wanting to be able to provide the fans an escape from the horrors of this, to just finding a way to get that TV money for the league. I also feel like the playoffs would really not be from a level playing field (which is the primary reason the olympics were canceled so early. In some parts of the country there are less strict shutdown rules and players can still be working with a trainer or at certain kinds of gym facilities. In other areas like New York, it would really be impossible to do this unless you happen to have a full gym at your place. Jared Dudley and some other players have mentioned they need a month at least to get back in shape. The plan is to rush this as much as possible and have some sloppy play like the lockout shortened season to determine a champion in a playoff series in Nebraska? It has become so ridiculous.

Am I missing some Adam Silver news?  I've heard a couple of rumors about how the NBA is looking into various ways they can salvage some of the season (playoffs in Q3, no fans, centralized location, etc.), but I haven't heard that Silver is pushing any of it, it's always "the NBA" or "the League" which I never know if that means owners, players, Silver, or all of the above.   And a lot of it seems like speculation, rather than anything legit.

And the rumors I've been hearing seem scarce.  Like the opposite of anybody pushing really hard.

So I am out of the loop, or are we both just reading the tea leaves differently?

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #111 on: March 27, 2020, 07:55:04 PM »

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Am I missing some Adam Silver news?  I've heard a couple of rumors about how the NBA is looking into various ways they can salvage some of the season (playoffs in Q3, no fans, centralized location, etc.), but I haven't heard that Silver is pushing any of it, it's always "the NBA" or "the League" which I never know if that means owners, players, Silver, or all of the above.   And a lot of it seems like speculation, rather than anything legit.

And the rumors I've been hearing seem scarce.  Like the opposite of anybody pushing really hard.

So I am out of the loop, or are we both just reading the tea leaves differently?

Here is from today, this one does not quote silver but a lot of the articles are directly quoting silver wanting to continue at all costs. He is doing lots of interviews compared to mlb or nhl https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/257709/NBA-Considering-Teams-Play-Games-Live-In-Centralized-Locations

« Reply #112 on: March 27, 2020, 07:56:35 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I mean, the NBA probably has the money to quarantine these guys before and after a tourney in a designated location, as well as any staff needed to make it happen.  If they do it responsibly they could pull it off and give people something to distract them.

« Reply #113 on: March 27, 2020, 08:00:48 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
I mean, the NBA probably has the money to quarantine these guys before and after a tourney in a designated location, as well as any staff needed to make it happen.  If they do it responsibly they could pull it off and give people something to distract them.

I guess would it be something the players want?  They'd most likely be away from family longer. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #114 on: March 27, 2020, 08:04:14 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

I guess would it be something the players want?  They'd most likely be away from family longer. 

Oh, you'd definitely have to get players and necessary staff to be willing to subject themselves to a period of time away from the rest of society.  But they'd have each other.

I think the NBA can afford that.  And people really could use something fun right now.

« Reply #115 on: March 27, 2020, 08:49:42 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Oh, you'd definitely have to get players and necessary staff to be willing to subject themselves to a period of time away from the rest of society.  But they'd have each other.

I think the NBA can afford that.  And people really could use something fun right now.
What about all the personnel needed to broadcast these games nationally? What about all the local radio and television crews that would be needed to make sure there is access to audiences who's teams don't make national TV? What about the refs, will they be okay with this? What if players want to bring families?

I think when you take all these other things into consideration, plus facilities needed for these players to practice and work out, I think the logistics become way too overwhelming.

« Reply #116 on: March 27, 2020, 08:59:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!
Personally, I'm not a fan of resuming the season under the proposed circumstances. If they did, I wouldn't be against it just for entertainment and watching basketball, but please don't tell me that some mini-tournament held in a state like Nebraska (as @celticsclay mentioned above) without fans is going to just make up for the Finals and that's how we crown a team like the Lakers their 17th banner, or someone else.

Also, I can't imagine between the NHL-NBA that one league resumes, the other cancels. Either they both resume in some form, or cancel together. There doesn't seem to be much optimism that hockey resumes though.

The Olympics getting cancelled I think sealed the deal. This season is getting cancelled. Same with NHL. Hell, there's already rumors that baseball won't have a season + NFL season gets delayed.

« Reply #117 on: March 27, 2020, 09:23:51 PM »

Online jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Personally, I'm not a fan of resuming the season under the proposed circumstances. If they did, I wouldn't be against it just for entertainment and watching basketball, but please don't tell me that some mini-tournament held in a state like Nebraska (as @celticsclay mentioned above) without fans is going to just make up for the Finals and that's how we crown a team like the Lakers their 17th banner, or someone else.

Also, I can't imagine between the NHL-NBA that one league resumes, the other cancels. Either they both resume in some form, or cancel together. There doesn't seem to be much optimism that hockey resumes though.

The Olympics getting cancelled I think sealed the deal. This season is getting cancelled. Same with NHL. Hell, there's already rumors that baseball won't have a season + NFL season gets delayed.

I am totally against it if the Lakers win, but totally for it if the Cs are the champions  :P

« Reply #118 on: March 27, 2020, 09:32:14 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2526

My honest thought is that only a few people want the trivial world of professional sports as a distraction — at least not right now.    I understand that people will disagree, but we’re watching illness and death counts every day -  and soon each of us will have personal stories to tell - the idea of watching NBA playoffs, at least to me, is not of much value. It wouldn’t be a useful distraction.  I could easily feel different in a month or in 3 months, but as long as we are in Corona- mode, I don’t see it.

I think the best thing would be to weather this storm, say goodbye to what’s been lost, and have a rebirth after all is said and done.  The 2020-21 season - new and fresh, seems to me like the next thing for the NBA.   That’s what feels right to me anyway. 

« Reply #119 on: March 27, 2020, 09:40:45 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

I am totally against it if the Lakers win, but totally for it if the Cs are the champions  :P

I mean hey, Bruins technically are already Stanley Cup Champs if the season doesn't resume because of the rules + them being the best team in the standings as of now. GET THE DUCK BOATS READY!  ;)