Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison  (Read 55742 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Atlantic Divison
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2009, 12:57:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
To Philadelphia, same question I asked Toronto. While brewer is a good defender and coming into his own as a offensive player, he is far from the dominant type 2 guard that championship teams over the last decade have all had playing the SG position. How do you propose to overcome such a deficiency?

I think it's kinda of short minded to only think that a team can only win the championship with a dominant 2guard, or as you are putting at a superstar?  How many teams have this superstar.  Look Brewer is asked to drive the hoop and play defense, two things he is excellent at doing.  With our team make up that's all we need him to do, I don't think having him as our 2guard will limit this team from being a championship team.  We also have this guy name Carmelo Anthony who is a pretty darned good wing player playing next to Brewer.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I tend to agree with this thinking.  After all, the 1980s Celtics teams didn't have a dominant SG; they got by fine with their best player as a SF.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This question is for the Boston GM.

I have two questions.

1.) Rafer Alston has always been somewhat of a locker room cancer questioning his use and demanding minutes in the past while never playing at anywhere near the level he thinks he does. Discuss for me why you think a player with his history will be able to thrive in an offense where the man playing SG will be dominating the ball. Do you expect chemistry problems because of this?

2.) Chris Anderson is an addict. As the people of Boston know full well with the Vinny Baker history here, addicts can have relapses when given a boatload of cash. Do you believe that you have enough big man help off the bench if he tests positive or has a bad relapse, which has to be a worry?

« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 01:01:10 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
NJ. 

Fisher has been successful as a SG on offense with someone else (Kobe in LA and Williams in Utah) running the offense. 

Who's hand do you put the ball in to run the offense?

« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 01:03:06 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
To Philadelphia, same question I asked Toronto. While brewer is a good defender and coming into his own as a offensive player, he is far from the dominant type 2 guard that championship teams over the last decade have all had playing the SG position. How do you propose to overcome such a deficiency?

I think it's kinda of short minded to only think that a team can only win the championship with a dominant 2guard, or as you are putting at a superstar?  How many teams have this superstar.  Look Brewer is asked to drive the hoop and play defense, two things he is excellent at doing.  With our team make up that's all we need him to do, I don't think having him as our 2guard will limit this team from being a championship team.  We also have this guy name Carmelo Anthony who is a pretty darned good wing player playing next to Brewer.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I tend to agree with this thinking.  After all, the 1980s Celtics teams didn't have a dominant SG; they got by fine with their best player as a SF.
And yet teams aren't scoring 120 points per game on a regular basis or running like gazelles anymore. Michael Jordan changed the game of basketball forever. You can live in the past if you like but the NBA of 2009 is not the NBA of 1986. Dominant SGs are an absolute necessity to win championships nowadays, much like in the 60's and 70's you had to have a dominant center to win a championship. Ignoring such a fact is just fooling oneself.

« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 01:04:41 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Boston, with the weakest front court in the Atlantic, how are you going to match up against the bigger and more talented teams when the pace slows down?  

How do you play your best to scorers together when they are both best as SGs?  

And with Nene's injury history, do you really feel comfortable only having "an energy" guy to fill in?

« Reply #80 on: August 05, 2009, 01:05:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

And yet teams aren't scoring 120 points per game on a regular basis or running like gazelles anymore. Michael Jordan changed the game of basketball forever. You can live in the past if you like but the NBA of 2009 is not the NBA of 1986. Dominant SGs are an absolute necessity to win championships nowadays, much like in the 60's and 70's you had to have a dominant center to win a championship. Ignoring such a fact is just fooling oneself.

Whats wrong with scoring 120 points per game, if that same team is capable of great defense as well.  Would you say my team won't be good defensively?  Standing by your statement that you need a dominant 2guard what teams do you think are the favorites then? The Hornets with Kobe and no one else?  I guess we can throw out any team LeBron is on and ever was on as being a championship contender. Sorry Orlando  ;)

« Reply #81 on: August 05, 2009, 01:06:08 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
This question is for the new jersey General Manager.

I think you have some fairly serious front court questions that need addressing.

1.) Has Brand lost what he once had after his severe injury of two year ago? he has only played in 37 games over two years and his numbers have only declined each time he has come back.

2.) Rasheed Wallace is getting on in years, his numbers have been consistently mediocre for a man with his obvious talents and has shown signs of being disinterested quite a lot? Can he really be depended on to give your team 32 MPG and 12 and 7 any longer because it's fairly obvious he isn't going to give you numbers that are better than that?

3.) Drew Gooden has never played for a team where he didn't wear out his welcome fairly quickly and been sent packing. Did you take a risk in drafting a man so many other GMs have given up on so quickly? There are obvious problems there.

4.) Kwame Brown and Eddie Curry are two of the LARGEST, in every way possible, #1 draft pick busts of the last 20 years along with Michael Olowakandi. They both have been bad recently with Curry embarrassing himself last year. Do you regret making such risky pick ups when front court bench players the caliber of Brian Scalabrine, Reggie Evans, Darius Songalia, Rasho Nesterovic, Dan Gadzuric, Joe Smith  and Fabricio Oberto were still on the board?

1. I don't think Brand has lost it.  Brand wasn't a player that relied on physical gifts (outside of strength) so injuries aren't going toeffct him as much as it would other players. I feel Brand is healthy, and willing to roll the dice on it, but only time will tell, and we will all know for sure once the season gets underway.

2. Hoping to keep Sheed closer to 28 minutes than 32.  And I feel Sheed produces when on a solid team with solid structure that I feel we have.  Also playing next to Brand will help Sheed as more attention will need to be focused on Brand.  When has Sheed had that kind of help down low recently?

3. Honestly, I've never heard of Gooden wearing out his welcome ever.  He's just been a victim of teams needing his salary to make trades work.  He always seems to have been sought after to me.  Wikipedia didn't list a source for this but it says about Gooden "He is also considered a good guy on and off the court, and was named one of the "Good Guys in Sports" by The Sporting News."  If there are stories of Gooden being a problem that I'm not aware of then feel free to share.  But I think you're confusing a victim of trades and salary dumps with being a problem.

4. High risk, high reward.  I don't have any of these guys higher than 10 on my overall depth chart and I think I can get by without either of them contributing (of course then I have to play Sheed more than I want...).  In 2008, Curry put up 13 and 5.  13 and 5 isn't good for a backup center?  In 2007 he put up 20 and 7, if he can play like that again, or even if he can play like he did in 2008 the risk will be worth it.  And just because Curry and Kwame were busts as top picks doesn't mean they can't play basketball.  I'm not looking at them to start or be main contributors so the bust label is misleading here.  I don't know how much of a bust you can be as a 10th man, both are starting caliber NBA players.  Of the players you mentioned that I didn't pick I think the potential reward is much greater with Curry and Kwame (of course potential loss is greater too, this deep in my bench I'm willing to take the risk
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:21:35 PM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #82 on: August 05, 2009, 01:07:38 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
1) Can you rely on Rafer?  He played okay in last year's Finals run, but that seemed to contradict his career norm.  If he sulks, what is your solution?

I'm convinced that a solid PG is more than adequate to winning the title, and last season Alston showed he is just that. As far as Alston sulking... In what context?

2) Wade, Nene, and McDyess have all had major and repeated injuries in their careers.  If one of them goes down, can your team survive?

Well it depends on the extent of the injury, to who and how many games they're out. That said, I think every team in the league is in the same situation as me (injuries=damaging). At least Nene, Wade (career years last season) and McDyess have proven they are no longer hindered by passed injuries.

3) You essentially have a nine man rotation; will the other six players on your team complain?

That was also part of my drafting philosophy, to obtain players that have good character and will know their role.

« Reply #83 on: August 05, 2009, 01:08:39 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

And yet teams over the last decade or more have won championships without a dominant SF. Short mindedness has nothing to do with this question it is a question of reality. So are you saying that you will be relying on Carmelo to be your dominant SG?

« Reply #84 on: August 05, 2009, 01:11:24 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923

And yet teams over the last decade or more have won championships without a dominant SF. Short mindedness has nothing to do with this question it is a question of reality. So are you saying that you will be relying on Carmelo to be your dominant SG?

Melo won't be playing SG, he does play on the wing though. Where the SG and SF generally play.  The reality is that good teams win champhionships, if the recent past those teams have had good 2guards doesn't mean that a team without a super 2guard can't win.  IIRC those players also had really good teams they were on.

I'm just saying you can't determine that a team is a championship team by one position.  So to answer your original question I plan to over come this "deficiency" by surrounding that position with other really good players.

« Reply #85 on: August 05, 2009, 01:11:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
NJ. 

Fisher has been successful as a SG on offense with someone else (Kobe in LA and Williams in Utah) running the offense. 

Who's hand do you put the ball in to run the offense?

With our half court style, we can put the ball in Pierce's hand.  Pierce and Brand don't need a PG to create for them.  All Fisher needs to do is to get the ball over half court.  Also if he's not up to the task we have Beno Udrih who can be a starter no problem (and is in real life).  Also Shannon Brown stepped up huge in the playoffs so we may see him able to step up and play more meaningful minutes.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #86 on: August 05, 2009, 01:14:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
This question is for the New York Knicks General Manager.

Should any of us even bother pretending like we are going to get an answer to any of our questions from you?

Why did you not make any trades or sign any free agents?

Do you have such tremendous drafting ability that you feel there wasn't a need?

Have you let the fans of New York down by not trying in any way to improve your team's drafting position by making even one trade or free agent pick up?

« Reply #87 on: August 05, 2009, 01:19:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I would like to thank all the GM's for their excellent answers to my questions and wish them good luck in the upcoming season!! TP's to all.

« Reply #88 on: August 05, 2009, 01:21:57 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
1.) Discuss for me why you think a player with his history will be able to thrive in an offense where the man playing SG will be dominating the ball. Do you expect chemistry problems because of this?

He came onto the Magic,  played in an offense run through Turk and helped that team win the east. I think he can do the same for my team.

.) Chris Anderson is an addict. As the people of Boston know full well with the Vinny Baker history here, addicts can have relapses when given a boatload of cash. Do you believe that you have enough big man help off the bench if he tests positive or has a bad relapse, which has to be a worry?

Jarred Jefferies is a lanky defender that could pick up some minutes. Sure, losing Anderson would hurt but based on the last couple of years I'm fairly confident he'll be there.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 01:31:15 PM by Jsaad »

« Reply #89 on: August 05, 2009, 01:24:01 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
1.) Discuss for me why you think a player with his history will be able to thrive in an offense where the man playing SG will be dominating the ball. Do you expect chemistry problems because of this?

He came onto the heat,  played in an offense run through Turk and helped that team win the east. I think he can do the same for my team.

.) Chris Anderson is an addict. As the people of Boston know full well with the Vinny Baker history here, addicts can have relapses when given a boatload of cash. Do you believe that you have enough big man help off the bench if he tests positive or has a bad relapse, which has to be a worry?

Jarred Jefferies is a lanky defender that could pick up some minutes. Sure, losing Anderson would hurt but based on the last couple of years I'm fairly confident he'll be there.

"Last couple of years"
32 GP
5 GP
71 GP
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16