Should the C’s target Dwight in FA?

Yes
29 (42%)
No
33 (47.8%)
Unsure
7 (10.1%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Author Topic: Dwight Howard Signed by Wizards (updated Dwightmare thread)  (Read 24074 times)

Re: Dwightmare traded to Nets/Now FA. Should Cs target?
« Reply #210 on: June 23, 2018, 08:38:18 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
Anyone who rather have Baynes should seek psychiatric help.

What an odd (rule-breaking) comment.

Dwight is an issue in the locker room and has openly complained about touches.  Is there any possible reason why somebody wouldn’t want him on a team with plenty of scorers and great chemistry?

Yeah, Baynes did an incredible job on Embiid in the playoffs, and was also our most consistent 3 point shooter, all without disrupting chemistry in any way, doing whatever needed at any moment for the team. I would be disappointed to lose him just to replace him with an aging, moody, Dwight Howard who has no shooting ability outside of 3 feet and would sulk and disappear once he gets benched due to his lack of shooting.

However, if you could have Baynes at $5 million and put the Celtics in the tax, or Howard at $1.5 million and keep the team out of it, which would you choose?

I'm not paying the tax myself, so I don't care about going over it.

According to Wyc and Co., they are also fine going over the tax to put a contender on the floor, so choice is still Baynes. Replacing him with Dwight Howard weakens us significantly.

« Reply #211 on: June 23, 2018, 09:37:44 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
I feel like the decision is pretty simple.

If he signs for the minimum, then you should give it a try. Worst case, he doesn't pan out, and gets back to his old habits, then you jettison him. Even if he doesn't work out, what is the most you would lose?

100%

I don't think we are not risking a ton if we sign him for the minimum. It's not a long term deal, and it's certainly not something that would take us into luxury tax hell. Ton of upside if he straightens up his act as far as what he can offer. And if he starts poisoning the locker room, just waive him.

I think that's a low risk - high reward kind of an acquisition.

I know that you mentioned the possibility of Howard going to the Warriors, so is there any traction on that front, so to speak? Man, put Dwight in their starting lineup and you've practically created a 2K team, lol #IGiveUp ;D.

The top teams in the league will want Dwight-
He poses serious difficulties in the playoffs in half-court sets due to his size dominance and athleticism.  Baynes did a remarkable job this year as a role player.

You are going into a playoff series.  Would you rather face Baynes on the opposition or Howard?  :laugh: :'( :laugh: :'(

The only appeal that I can see with Howard would be that he has consistently exploited Golden State's glaring weakness on da boards ;D over the years, so if the Warriors signed him, and they have said that they wanted to upgrade the center position, Jesus :o, as that would arguably be the greatest assemblage of talent on one team in the modern era. I think.

At any rate, I guess what I'm trying to say is that that team could very well turn out to be unbeatable, and we might as well not even tune in, anymore, lol ;D. Talk about a superteam :o. Bye bye, Lady Zaza ;D, Damion Jones, Kevon Looney (maybe), Javale McGee (perhaps), and Nick Young, and say hello to Dwight Howard :o. Has a modern team ever had multiple Defensive Players of the Year on the same roster at the, well, same time, because I honestly don't remember seeing it, although I'm probably wrong.

Yikes :o.

« Reply #212 on: June 23, 2018, 09:43:41 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Dwight is an issue in the locker room and has openly complained about touches.  Is there any possible reason why somebody wouldn’t want him on a team with plenty of scorers and great chemistry?

Yeah, Baynes did an incredible job on Embiid in the playoffs, and was also our most consistent 3 point shooter, all without disrupting chemistry in any way, doing whatever needed at any moment for the team. I would be disappointed to lose him just to replace him with an aging, moody, Dwight Howard who has no shooting ability outside of 3 feet and would sulk and disappear once he gets benched due to his lack of shooting.

However, if you could have Baynes at $5 million and put the Celtics in the tax, or Howard at $1.5 million and keep the team out of it, which would you choose?
Don’t make me say that :'(

Trade Yabu and Nader without taking salary back.
Also, the salary counting toward the cap isn't final until late in the year, I think. Couldn't you just do a dump salary trade later in the year?

Absolutely can.  You run the risk, however, of not being able to find a dancing partner.  Nader should be easy, because he makes the minimum and anyone can take him with the minimum salary exception. Yabusele could be trickier, as he would require cap room or a trade exception, and there will be fewer teams to trade with, even at a small amount.  If his year 3 option is picked up in October and he’s viewed as a dump, it becomes even more complicated.

« Reply #213 on: June 23, 2018, 09:46:20 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

According to Wyc and Co., they are also fine going over the tax to put a contender on the floor, so choice is still Baynes. Replacing him with Dwight Howard weakens us significantly.

I’m sure theyre not against it, but starting the clock on the repeater tax a year early can have its consequences down the road.  Not just a small tax this year (~$5 million) and lost tax revenue from othe teams (could be several million), but $15-20 million down the road.  Essentially paying Baynes this year instead of Howard could potentially be the same cost as a year of a max salary.

« Reply #214 on: June 23, 2018, 09:47:48 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
It's absurd to want Baynes over Howard, performance-wise. Of course Howard would perform better than Baynes in those 18 minutes, in a vacuum. But would Howard be okay with just 18 minutes, off the bench? If he's in ring-chasing mode, maybe. We're gonna be the number two locale for that in the league. It would rock to have Howard, Theis, Williams off the bench.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #215 on: June 23, 2018, 09:49:43 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 990
It's absurd to want Baynes over Howard, performance-wise. Of course Howard would perform better than Baynes in those 18 minutes, in a vacuum. But would Howard be okay with just 18 minutes, off the bench? If he's in ring-chasing mode, maybe. We're gonna be the number two locale for that in the league. It would rock to have Howard, Theis, Williams off the bench.

If Celtics are getting Howard, he's starting. No reason for him to come off the bench if he averages 16/12 per game.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #216 on: June 23, 2018, 10:17:36 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

(Idk I just thought this GIF is funny and appropriate for this LOL)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #217 on: June 23, 2018, 10:32:15 PM »

Offline mrceltics2013

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 15

If Celtics are getting Howard, he's starting. No reason for him to come off the bench if he averages 16/12 per game.

Some of these comments make me cry because I don't understand their logic. Why would someone who still averages a double double and a top defender in the league STILL, come off the bench? 😞 I just don't get some of y'all logic man. If signed he is THE BEST CENTER ON OUR TEAM.

« Reply #218 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

Some of these comments make me cry because I don't understand their logic. Why would someone who still averages a double double and a top defender in the league STILL, come off the bench? 😞 I just don't get some of y'all logic man. If signed he is THE BEST CENTER ON OUR TEAM.

If he's really as good as you think he is, WHY has he been traded/dumped by his last 4 teams?? Again, I'm fine taking a risk on him with the veteran minimum exception (wouldn't mind), but it is possible he's truly a headcase in the locker room. I'll trust Ainge on his judgement regarding Howard in FA.

« Reply #219 on: June 23, 2018, 10:36:36 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Non-guaranteed minimum.

Wow, wonder if he would consider that.

he has like 6 ex s ,  untold children to support .....the man HAS to work to keep all that going.

« Reply #220 on: June 23, 2018, 10:44:16 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Non-guaranteed minimum.

Wow, wonder if he would consider that.

he has like 6 ex s ,  untold children to support .....the man HAS to work to keep all that going.

« Reply #221 on: June 23, 2018, 11:00:59 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Howard had a surprisingly good year in Charlotte last year. Some attributed it to the coach, who it was reported knew how to use him. He's an interior guy, and having drafted a player like Williams, I doubt the Celtics would be interested. They like Baynes toughness, and Williams figures to get  rim protector minutes. Plus they have Theis, who is a nice bench 4-5.

Howard might draw interest in Golden State or Cleveland. It depends on how much money he wants. He might be attracted to the Warriors for the minimum. Or Cleveland, if Lebron stays there.

« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2018, 10:29:50 AM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER

If he's really as good as you think he is, WHY has he been traded/dumped by his last 4 teams?? Again, I'm fine taking a risk on him with the veteran minimum exception (wouldn't mind), but it is possible he's truly a headcase in the locker room. I'll trust Ainge on his judgement regarding Howard in FA.

I'm going to attempt to answer that question. Primarily, because of the parrots and spreading of misinformation.

Los Angeles
No beef between Kobe and Dwight Howard
Howard thought that Kobe shot the ball too much and that the shot selection was questionable.
(Perceptive analysis).
Kobe thought that Howard was "too soft".
Howard realizing that as long as Kobe was in town, there wasn't room enough for both of them and moved on.
LA would not let Howard work out with Kareem Abdul Jabbar.

https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2013/07/08/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-los-angeles-lakers

https://www.12up.com/posts/5274908-dwight-howard-blasts-media-for-making-up-stories-during-his-time-with-lakers

Houston
Dwight Howard had a good tenure in Houston.
He went there to play for a big man's coach and Hall of Famer Kevin McHale.
The same McHale that mentored Kevin Garnett.
The conflict in Houston was due to the fact that McHale wanted Harden to share the ball and play defense.  Howard was popular with a number of players in the locker room and thought again the offense should run inside out. Harden was popular with the other half and thought the offense should start and end with him. 

https://nesn.com/2016/02/nba-rumors-james-harden-wanted-kevin-mchale-fired-dwight-howard-traded/

http://larrybrownsports.com/basketball/dwight-howard-inside-the-nba/304233

Atlanta
Parted ways with Howard's 3-year and 70 million dollar deal to rebuild.

Charlotte
Charlotte where he averaged 16ppg 12 reb
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23863678/dwight-howard-brooklyn-nets-working-buyout

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article213676869.html

Now, this is not to say that Dwight Howard is not a polarizing figure.

https://www.rollingstone.com/sports/dwight-howard-rajon-rondo-and-nba-team-poison-w460740

But, its easy to call names and label people and disregard all of the other facts that go into running a professional team. I would be interested to see what Brad Stevens could get out of Howard and what Howard could get out of Brad Stevens.

Boston has had a long history of reclamation projects and role players. 

"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2018, 10:59:51 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja

I'm going to attempt to answer that question. Primarily, because of the parrots and spreading of misinformation.

Los Angeles
Howard thought that Kobe shot the ball too much and that the shot selection was questionable.
(Perceptive analysis).
Howard realizing that as long as Kobe was in town, there wasn't room enough for both of them and moved on.

https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2013/07/08/dwight-howard-houston-rockets-los-angeles-lakers

https://www.12up.com/posts/5274908-dwight-howard-blasts-media-for-making-up-stories-during-his-time-with-lakers

Houston
The conflict in Houston was due to the fact that McHale wanted Harden to share the ball and play defense.  Howard was popular with a number of players in the locker room and thought again the offense should run inside out. Harden was popular with the other half and thought the offense should start and end with him. 

https://nesn.com/2016/02/nba-rumors-james-harden-wanted-kevin-mchale-fired-dwight-howard-traded/

Atlanta

Charlotte
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23863678/dwight-howard-brooklyn-nets-working-buyout

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nba/charlotte-hornets/article213676869.html

https://www.rollingstone.com/sports/dwight-howard-rajon-rondo-and-nba-team-poison-w460740

But, its easy to call names and label people and disregard all of the other facts that go into running a professional team. I would be interested to see what Brad Stevens could get out of Howard and what Howard could get out of Brad Stevens.

thank you for the research and analysis. tp. but when i read your final two words, i have to wonder whether howard would accept such a role? he hasnt so far, but people do change on occasion.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2018, 11:06:21 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Los Angeles
(Perceptive analysis).

Houston

Atlanta

Charlotte

thank you for the research and analysis. tp. but when i read your final two words, i have to wonder whether howard would accept such a role? he hasnt so far, but people do change on occasion.

For the Vet. Minimum, we can find out.

That's the beauty of it. If he's actually willing to come for the minimum, are we actually risking a ton by trying to get him here?
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace