Poll

Resign?

Re-sign him at a price over $14 mill. He does a lot for the team
20 (14.6%)
Too much money. The Limited offense isn't worth this much
117 (85.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Marcus Smart RFA [Merged - finalizing 4 year deal]  (Read 120111 times)

Re: Smart to ESPN: "i'm worth more than $14 mill a year" Goner?
« Reply #60 on: May 28, 2018, 10:56:33 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533
If he really gets an offer that big he's gone. I'm skeptical he will, him accepting the QO seems more likely to me.

I have no problem with him wanting to get paid though, he plays hard and is young guy.

This is the best case scenario IMO.

I think the more he wants a big payday, the more likely he is to take the QO this year.

Smart on the QO will go a long way to keeping the team under the luxury tax threshold next year, which puts off the repeater tax another year too (which comes 5 years later).

Also Smart on a QO also gives the team another year to decide who they want to keep, Rozier or Smart (or none or both).

Nothing wrong with him thinking he deserves a huge payday.  Good for him if a team wants to pay him $20m per.   Definitely wouldn't be wise to take a discount with Trader Danny as your GM.  I do wonder what his real market value is though, will be interesting to see how this (and Rozier next year) plays out.

Even bigger than preventing the repeater tax, it will allow us to use the full MLE, likely to retain Baynes.  We need his size and toughness back (especially if the 3 keeps falling)
Given the choice between Baynes and Smart - moving forward you need to be able to deal with Embid and the other quality bigs around the league. And Embid especially...I think Baynes is a higher priority.

« Reply #61 on: May 28, 2018, 10:58:12 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Sixers convert Riddick $$ to Smart....they ned a guy like him and it weakens the C's
Smart is a terrible fit for the Sixers.  With Simmons and Smart on the court, teams would just collapse into the paint on Embiid and dare the Sixers to shoot 3s.  Redick on the other hand is a very good fit for them. 

« Reply #62 on: May 28, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
If he really gets an offer that big he's gone. I'm skeptical he will, him accepting the QO seems more likely to me.

I have no problem with him wanting to get paid though, he plays hard and is young guy.

This is the best case scenario IMO.

I think the more he wants a big payday, the more likely he is to take the QO this year.

Smart on the QO will go a long way to keeping the team under the luxury tax threshold next year, which puts off the repeater tax another year too (which comes 5 years later).

Also Smart on a QO also gives the team another year to decide who they want to keep, Rozier or Smart (or none or both).

Nothing wrong with him thinking he deserves a huge payday.  Good for him if a team wants to pay him $20m per.   Definitely wouldn't be wise to take a discount with Trader Danny as your GM.  I do wonder what his real market value is though, will be interesting to see how this (and Rozier next year) plays out.

Even bigger than preventing the repeater tax, it will allow us to use the full MLE, likely to retain Baynes.  We need his size and toughness back (especially if the 3 keeps falling)
Given the choice between Baynes and Smart - moving forward you need to be able to deal with Embid and the other quality bigs around the league. And Embid especially...I think Baynes is a higher priority.

If I had to pick, I'd pick the 24 year old over the 31 year old. I think the decision is more likely to be Smart vs. Baynes vs. Morris, though, in which case I'd pack Morris' bags for him. There's just no room for him behind Hayward, Tatum, and Brown
I'm bitter.

« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2018, 11:02:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Morris isn't going anywhere next year unless its part of a bigger trade.

He's on a bargain $5.3 million contract. For a flexible wing who can defend and shoot 3s off the bench that's too good of a value to jetison.

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2018, 11:02:38 AM »

Offline jmen788

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 22
2 Words for Marcus Smart: Bye Felicia

« Reply #66 on: May 28, 2018, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
This is not up to Smart, and it really isn't under Ainge's control either. This is about the market for his services, and there are only a handful of teams who could even consider paying him over $10M. This is a bad year to hope someone overpays you.

The only way Marcus sticks here long term is if he takes a deal less than $10M. If we match an offer that is higher than that, it can't be much higher, because Ainge will absolutely have to move him. If he gets an offer for $14M we do not match, because we don't have the minutes to make him an attractive player at that price, and there is no way he can stay.

« Reply #67 on: May 28, 2018, 11:07:02 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
and if a team wants to pay marcus smart 14+ million to be "the guy" on their team...they will quickly regret it as he bricks up 10shots a game
Well 14 million is Joe Ingles, Taj Gibson, Demare Carrol, Eric Bledsoe, Reggie Jackson, Dennis Schroeder, JR Smith, etc etc money

That's not "the guy" money. The guy money is now $25-35 million depending on your years of service.

Yeah, I forget that the pay range for NBA players has changed. I still think most of those guys are over-paid and smart getting 14million plus would be as well.

The question for ainge becomes, with Kyrie/Brown/Hayward/Tatum/Horford....is smart worth the money to be a 15-20minute a game player. he surely isnt going to start before those guys in crunchtime.

last year when another good roleplayer in avery bradley's pay demands exceeded what ainge would be willing to pay he shipped him off for Marcus morris who has become a solid roleplayer. At the time I remember fans worrying how we would fill bradleys void on defense.

I think much like Belichick, ainge understands this is a stars game. And if the player isn't a star you can find role-players who can fit in and fill their role. I wouldnt be surprised if ainge packages smart or rozier or both in sign and trades for cheaper/short deal role-players.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 11:12:23 AM by cman88 »

« Reply #68 on: May 28, 2018, 11:08:26 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Well, I guess we now know what the extension talks were this past summer - Smart was wanting closer to $20M per and Danny was in the $12 - $14M range. After this season, I don’t think $14M would still be on the table with his lack of shooting improvement.

I don’t see any team offering him any more than that, so I could see us coming to some sort of agreement around the $10 - $12M per year range. Otherwise he takes the QO and hopes for improvement before free agency in 2019.

« Reply #69 on: May 28, 2018, 11:15:18 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

He's on a bargain $5.3 million contract. For a flexible wing who can defend and shoot 3s off the bench that's too good of a value to jetison.

AB on $8 million was a bargain as well.  But if you need to clear space to resign a better or more important player, being on a great contract is irrelevant.  I think he'll be a cap casualty, because if we need to clear space he's the obvious choice.

"No way we even consider trading them" tier:
Hayward: $31.2 million
Horford: $28.9 million
Irving: $20.0 million
Tatum: $6.7 million
Brown: $5.2 million

"Could be traded" tier:
Morris: $5.4 million
Rozier: $3.0 million
Yabusele: $2.7 million
Semi: $1.4 million
Nader: $1.4 million
Theis: $1.4 million

Of the non-untouchable players, Morris makes the most by far (you need to put the next 2 players together to equal him, but even then the roster spot you would leave open would put Morris back on top). If we need to clear space, he'll be gone.  And given that Smart and Baynes are more important to the team than having Morris as our 4th string PF, I can't see him staying (unless Smart gets offered way too much and goes elsewhere OR he signs the QO and leaves us plenty of cap space)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #70 on: May 28, 2018, 11:21:15 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell

AB on $8 million was a bargain as well.  But if you need to clear space to resign a better or more important player, being on a great contract is irrelevant.  I think he'll be a cap casualty, because if we need to clear space he's the obvious choice.
We will not have cap space and if we're dumping players for no salary back I bet we send out Yabu or Nader first if were trying to dodge the tax.

The Celtics aren't having their roster have only 4 wings given Hayward is recovering from an injury.

« Reply #71 on: May 28, 2018, 11:23:43 AM »

Offline GreenShooter

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
If Smart doesn't want to play for the qualifying offer then how often does a sign and trade happen in these kind of situations? I don't really remember any that were good fits for either team.
Let's hope there's a player of similar caliber in the draft (very good defensive player but one that can shoot the 3). I won't mind missing the pit-bull mentality he brings. Teams have won plenty without one of these type players. Drafting Bruce Brown could help replace Smart. He's a bad shooter but does everything else pretty well.

« Reply #72 on: May 28, 2018, 11:29:23 AM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

"No way we even consider trading them" tier:
Hayward: $31.2 million
Horford: $28.9 million
Irving: $20.0 million
Tatum: $6.7 million
Brown: $5.2 million

"Could be traded" tier:
Morris: $5.4 million
Rozier: $3.0 million
Yabusele: $2.7 million
Semi: $1.4 million
Nader: $1.4 million
Theis: $1.4 million

Of the non-untouchable players, Morris makes the most by far (you need to put the next 2 players together to equal him, but even then the roster spot you would leave open would put Morris back on top). If we need to clear space, he'll be gone.  And given that Smart and Baynes are more important to the team than having Morris as our 4th string PF, I can't see him staying (unless Smart gets offered way too much and goes elsewhere OR he signs the QO and leaves us plenty of cap space)
Morris could be moved but I think he's more likely to stay if Smart leaves. He's probably their best defensive matchup vs Lebron (for what that's worth) but also him at 5.4 ml is a better deal than Smart at 14 mil.

You're not going to replace Smart's penchant for the game changing play but that will be offset by they guys they're getting back plus a year older Tatum/Brown. 

« Reply #73 on: May 28, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
If Smart doesn't want to play for the qualifying offer then how often does a sign and trade happen in these kind of situations?
They don't. Especially given the C's lack cap space to make it easier to match salaries.

If he can't get an offer sheet he'll end up playing for the QO.

« Reply #74 on: May 28, 2018, 11:31:08 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
My prediction?

Smart resigns with for 13.5 million with team friendly incentives that could have annual raises of up to 1.7 million like rebounding more, getting more assists, and shooting above a certain percentage on his shots and 3 point attempts.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different