Author Topic: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs  (Read 44561 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs
« Reply #225 on: November 30, 2020, 03:42:17 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Didn't it seem like Thompson was destined to sign with the Lakers and Lebron James this off-season? Don't you think he would have if Harrell hadn't signed there?

I seriously wonder if Thompson will bring a major chip on his shoulder into the season, especially going against the Lakers.

Goes to show you that Lebron doesn't have all the power with the Lakers like he did back with the Cavs

No it’s just that him and his agent have made up 75% of the Lakers as Clutch Sports clients 🙄

Lebron is absolutely running the show in LA.

You sure?  I think its up to a limit.

If Lebron had such control, explain why they didn't bring in his boy Thompson.  They had the money and instead signed Harrell

I mean, I think he would be a Laker right now if Lebron really only wanted his guys. Getting Harrell not only makes a rival weaker but Harrell is a much more productive offensive player.

« Reply #226 on: November 30, 2020, 03:50:37 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Didn't it seem like Thompson was destined to sign with the Lakers and Lebron James this off-season? Don't you think he would have if Harrell hadn't signed there?

I seriously wonder if Thompson will bring a major chip on his shoulder into the season, especially going against the Lakers.

Goes to show you that Lebron doesn't have all the power with the Lakers like he did back with the Cavs

No it’s just that him and his agent have made up 75% of the Lakers as Clutch Sports clients 🙄

If Lebron had such control, explain why they didn't bring in his boy Thompson.  They had the money and instead signed Harrell

I mean, I think he would be a Laker right now if Lebron really only wanted his guys. Getting Harrell not only makes a rival weaker but Harrell is a much more productive offensive player.

but he is a mediocre defender in the playoffs. He was benched in 2nd half of games vs the Nuggets for a reason

« Reply #227 on: November 30, 2020, 03:53:58 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

but he is a mediocre defender in the playoffs. He was benched in 2nd half of games vs the Nuggets for a reason

Oh I absolutely agree with that. He's terrible on defense, not just mediocre. He's active, but not very good.

I think the additions of Schroeder and Harrell are about keeping the team afloat during the regular season. I expect Lebron will have more rest games this year, and the team needs some productive scorers in order to stay in games with AD. Thompson wasn't gonna help much with that.

« Reply #228 on: November 30, 2020, 03:57:10 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544

yeah because he couldn't guard a massively stronger and bigger player that just happens to be elite.  That was much more about the Clippers terrible roster construction than anything else.  Harrell would have been fine if he was guarding someone like Millsap, but he couldn't handle Jokic.  That will be much less an issue for the Lakers where Harrell will be on the floor with a legit 7 foot elite defender basically at all times (either Davis or Gasol). 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #229 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:23 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

yeah because he couldn't guard a massively stronger and bigger player that just happens to be elite.  That was much more about the Clippers terrible roster construction than anything else.  Harrell would have been fine if he was guarding someone like Millsap, but he couldn't handle Jokic.  That will be much less an issue for the Lakers where Harrell will be on the floor with a legit 7 foot elite defender basically at all times (either Davis or Gasol).

confused

why couldn't the Clippers play Zubac and Harrell?

Even if Jokic is bigger, Harrell lacked "fight". No clutch offensive rebounds. No boxing out harder to get inside position

He was just roaming out on the perimeter on the offensive end. Can't even shoot the 3 very well

On defense he would let Jokic do whatever he wanted. He didn't really go up to his face to bother him.  He was guarding him in no mans land. Jokic will torch you then

« Reply #230 on: November 30, 2020, 04:26:35 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

confused

Even if Jokic is bigger, Harrell lacked "fight". No clutch offensive rebounds. No boxing out harder to get inside position

He was just roaming out on the perimeter on the offensive end. Can't even shoot the 3 very well

On defense he would let Jokic do whatever he wanted. He didn't really go up to his face to bother him.  He was guarding him in no mans land. Jokic will torch you then
because Zubac isn't good enough to play much against good teams and then they can't have PG or Kawhi on the floor since they can't really play SG.  It was a Clippers roster problem, the Lakers don't have that problem. 

« Reply #231 on: November 30, 2020, 04:41:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

confused

because Zubac isn't good enough to play much against good teams and then they can't have PG or Kawhi on the floor since they can't really play SG.  It was a Clippers roster problem, the Lakers don't have that problem.

So you are saying that AD and Harrell frontcourt will work better than AD and TT frontcourt? 

Harrell has won nothing significant in his career. Thompson has

Thompson is a warrior in the playoffs

My point is that, if Lebron has that big of a power he would have brought in TT.  They are close apparently

« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 05:03:27 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #232 on: November 30, 2020, 06:53:26 PM »

Offline LilRip

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 392

confused

So you are saying that AD and Harrell frontcourt will work better than AD and TT frontcourt? 

My point is that, if Lebron has that big of a power he would have brought in TT.  They are close apparently

Granted that they’re close, I think TT would’ve preferred his situation in Boston. Bigger minutes and bigger role, given the depth chart potentially ahead of him. TT isn’t beating out AD anytime soon

- LilRip

« Reply #233 on: November 30, 2020, 08:53:01 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

confused

I think Harrell coming off the bench has far more value than having TT come of the bench for the Lakers.  They don't need a hustle guy on the bench, they need the offensive firepower Harrell brings, and when either is playing with AD, Harrell is absolutely the better fit because TT's strengths are basically what AD does except much worse than AD.

« Reply #234 on: November 30, 2020, 08:57:39 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

confused

I wonder why you're blaming Zubac when he was the only big who was capable of defending Jokic. Given how slow and ineffective Gasol looked against the Celtics, what makes you think that he's good enough to fill the void Dwight will leave. Besides Harell may be better on offense than Thompson but he's worse on defense based on his performance in the playoffs.

« Reply #235 on: November 30, 2020, 09:17:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

confused

I wonder why you're blaming Zubac when he was the only big who was capable of defending Jokic. Given how slow and ineffective Gasol looked against the Celtics, what makes you think that he's good enough to fill the void Dwight will leave. Besides Harell may be better on offense than Thompson but he's worse on defense based on his performance in the playoffs.
I wasn't.  I was just pointing out facts.  Neither Zubac or Harrell could effectively guard Jokic, but that is all the Clippers had available to try and they couldn't really play them together because they don't fit and then you have to take Kawhi or George off the floor.

The simple reality is the Clippers had a big time roster flaw and they had it all year.  They had enough talent to get by in the regular season, but not in the playoffs.  Ibaka is a better fit for them than Harrell was, so I think they will be better next year, but they also still have a terrible backcourt and not much size (Zubac and Ibaka are it).  Frankly, they have many of the same issues the C's have in the front court and also having their two best players both being natural SF's.  When crunch time comes against great teams, you are always going to have at least 1 guy playing out of position, and that is problematic long term. 

« Reply #236 on: November 30, 2020, 09:19:16 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

confused

I agree

Zubac was the only one able to slow down Jokic a little....   Not Harrell or Morris or whatever small lineup they were they employ out there

not sure what Rivers was thinking game 5 to 7. Especially 7

« Reply #237 on: November 30, 2020, 09:27:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
realtristan13
Cleveland, what a ride it has been. From the first day of my career that I arrived in Cleveland, as a 19 year old kid from Canada, I have received nothing but love and support from the entire city. Cleveland will forever be embedded in my heart and I will always cherish the countless amount of memories I’ve made over the last 10 seasons. From getting drafted, to 4 straight Finals appearances, to winning the 2016 NBA Championship and bringing a well-deserved ring to the city of Cleveland. I’d like to thank everyone in Cleveland who was a part of my journey including everyone who works at the Q that helped make my family feel at home every game. The grit and toughness that I developed playing for a city like Cleveland will forever be instilled in me.

To the city of Boston! To say it’s an honor to wear the green and white is an understatement! I can’t wait to get to work!!!! ☘️ nation!!!!

Classy farewell

Let's go!

« Reply #238 on: November 30, 2020, 09:34:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

confused

I agree

Zubac was the only one able to slow down Jokic a little....   Not Harrell or Morris or whatever small lineup they were they employ out there

not sure what Rivers was thinking game 5 to 7. Especially 7
Zubac started the 2nd half of game 7 with the Clippers up 2, 6 minutes later when they pulled Zubac out of the game the Nuggets were up 8.  The lead held at 8 the last 5 minutes of the 3rd quarter with Harrell in the game (and Jokic was out there till like 20 seconds left in the quarter).  Jokic reentered with 7 and a half minutes left in the game and the Nuggets up 13.  Harrell was not on the floor until the last 4 minutes or so and the Clippers were down 15.  In that 4 minutes, Jokic hit 2 foul shots, had 2 assists, 1 rebound, and 1 turnover, while Harrell was 3 of 4 for 6 points and the teams played to a draw during that time.

Maybe Zubac would have made a difference, but he didn't make any sort of difference to start the 2nd half so I'm not sure why it would have been different in the 4th quarter. 

« Reply #239 on: December 01, 2020, 11:01:38 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
watching some of the older clips (maybe like 2016-2017 vs last season).  Thompson has definitely added a little weight, that looks like robbed some of his quickness/explosiveness

He needs to lose 5-7 pounds.

Maybe he became lazy playing for a nowhere rebuilding Cavs team the last few years. Hopefully he can dig a little deeper/clean up his diet and improve his body