Author Topic: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs  (Read 44706 times)

Re: Tristan Thompson signing with Cs
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:12 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Both moves ended up being unnecessary as Boston didn't need the cap space or roster spot as it ended up.

We needed to dump Baynes to sign Kemba.
Not as worked out by doing the double sign and trade with Rozier.  Now maybe we don't get to that point without the cap space, or maybe we still do. 

Edit: And here's the thing, Boston could have dumped Baynes after the draft if it still needed to.  There was no need for urgency at the draft like that, especially at the expense of just dumping a 1st round pick.  He did the same thing this year.  Just dumped a 1st round pick because he didn't move it before the draft and was left in a situation where he had too many picks.  If he would have gotten a future 1st, the trade this year would have been different, but dumping a 1st for two future 2nd's because you had too many picks is just bad asset management.

Baynes wasn't a pure salary dump last year, it was part of a deal to move a first rounder from last year to this year.

This year's draft was weak. Expecting to get a future first for the least valuable first rounder in the draft (one that, due to the guaranteed salaries, is considered less valuable than early second rounders) is too much in most cases.

Look at it this way: if Danny had the #31 pick instead, would you he expected him to turn it into a future first, or think 2 future seconds made sense? Because that pick is generally considered more valuable, but because it isn't a first rounder it doesn't have the same knee jerk "we can't trade a first for second rounders" reaction
I'm bitter.

« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2020, 10:16:38 AM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2703
From reports that came out after we lost to the Heat, Ainge was convinced he was going to get Tristan Thompson as a buyout candidate last season but the lockdown and subsequent bubble situations ruined the buyout process for everyone.

So, Thompson was always the plan, and this would have been our team going into the playoffs, which could have gotten us to the finals.

« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2020, 10:42:56 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
Thompson is much more mobile than Kanter defensively, but Thompson is not and never has been a plus defender.  He isn't bad defensively, but he is far from good.  Kanter is a pretty decent in the paint defender, I'm not sure Thompson is much of an upgrade there, but is on the wing.  Kanter is actually a better rebounder than Thompson.  Both last year and throughout their careers, Kanter just flat out grabs a higher percentage of available rebounds on both ends of the floor.  Now some of that may be who Thompson has been playing with (i.e. guys like Love), but you can't just overlook that simple reality and claim that Thompson is a better rebounder because he grabs more total rebounds (the Cavs have been awful there are quite simply more rebounds available and TT has played more minutes).  I like this signing as I think TT was the best big guy available for what the team needed after letting Kanter go, but I'd honestly rather have Kanter and used the MLE on someone like Ibaka.  I think that would have been a much better option.

We literally gave Kanter away for nothing (the two 2nds were already included in the #30 pick deal) to let him have a bigger role on a team that he wants to play for. While I loved Kanter's attitude and his penchant for getting put-backs, it's clear that he wasn't a perfect fit for our system.

I'd agree that Kanter has a couple of specific elite skills that TT may not possess, but I think we are going to be a lot happier with what TT brings to the table and he won't be so situational. People generally agree that Theis is nice system fit; while TT has some of those same qualities, he also should  be able to hold his own against players Theis just couldn't defend.

And, yes, I can definitely see wanting to bring in Ibaka, but  w/ only the MLE on the table, he had his choice of where he wanted to be. Nobody is going to question why he went to LAC.
We have no idea what Ibaka was thinking though.  Maybe he would have rather been in Boston, but wasn't offered a contract.  I just think letting Kanter go was a mistake.  Just like it was to give up a 1st to dump Baynes last year.  Both moves ended up being unnecessary as Boston didn't need the cap space or roster spot as it ended up.

Thompson is a slight upgrade on Kanter, but it is not a significant one.  If we had Kanter, we could have brought in someone that might have helped more whether it is Ibaka, Gasol, Whiteside, or one of the wings/guards.   Heck even someone like Dwight Howard would have been useful.

Next off-season we'll probably use our first to offload Thompson  :laugh: :-[  :'(

« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2020, 11:02:05 AM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
From reports that came out after we lost to the Heat, Ainge was convinced he was going to get Tristan Thompson as a buyout candidate last season but the lockdown and subsequent bubble situations ruined the buyout process for everyone.

So, Thompson was always the plan, and this would have been our team going into the playoffs, which could have gotten us to the finals.

How does he match up against Bam?
I'm bitter.

« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:51 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

How does he match up against Bam?

Bam outplayed him last two seasons.  But need to discount somewhat since Cavs were so bad.

« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2020, 11:38:20 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1547
Both moves ended up being unnecessary as Boston didn't need the cap space or roster spot as it ended up.

Not as worked out by doing the double sign and trade with Rozier.  Now maybe we don't get to that point without the cap space, or maybe we still do. 

Edit: And here's the thing, Boston could have dumped Baynes after the draft if it still needed to.  There was no need for urgency at the draft like that, especially at the expense of just dumping a 1st round pick.  He did the same thing this year.  Just dumped a 1st round pick because he didn't move it before the draft and was left in a situation where he had too many picks.  If he would have gotten a future 1st, the trade this year would have been different, but dumping a 1st for two future 2nd's because you had too many picks is just bad asset management.

The Celtics took Kemba in using cap space, even with the S&T.  If Baynes was on the roster, we couldn’t have completed the deal.
they gave up 17 million in a trade, they didn't need full max to do the trade.  Baynes could have been on the roster and that trade would have still worked
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2020, 11:42:53 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

Baynes wasn't a pure salary dump last year, it was part of a deal to move a first rounder from last year to this year.

This year's draft was weak. Expecting to get a future first for the least valuable first rounder in the draft (one that, due to the guaranteed salaries, is considered less valuable than early second rounders) is too much in most cases.

Look at it this way: if Danny had the #31 pick instead, would you he expected him to turn it into a future first, or think 2 future seconds made sense? Because that pick is generally considered more valuable, but because it isn't a first rounder it doesn't have the same knee jerk "we can't trade a first for second rounders" reaction
I'd still consider that a bad trade because you know the picks will never be better than the one you traded and could be way worse.  It is different if the picks are in the same draft as you know the value and if you do it at the draft have an idea of who will be available, but trading the best pick for random future picks that will be worse just doesn't make much sense. 

As for Baynes, it was a salary dump.  Phoenix wanted Jerome. They likely would have just acquired the pick for the Bucks pick without the salary thrown in, but by the accounts I've read Boston wanted out of Baynes salary to create max space, which as it turns out they didn't really need since they acquired Walker via trade anyway

« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2020, 01:16:01 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
It was already mentioned. He did shoot 39 percent from the 3 pt line last season. Small sample but perhaps there is potential there

TT highlight.  3-3 on the 3 pt line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWc_tw79VtQ

« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2020, 01:22:03 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
It was already mentioned. He did shoot 39 percent from the 3 pt line last season. Small sample but perhaps there is potential there

TT highlight.  3-3 on the 3 pt line

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWc_tw79VtQ

A BIG that can actually dunk the ball without continually being blocked by the rim? Welcome the Cs to the real NBA. How does anyone even think Thompson will sit on the bench for Theis? Thanks Triboy for the video.

« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2020, 01:35:45 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
He can bang around with bigger guys but he's also mobile enough to switch when he has to. I think he's going to be a good fit for Stevens' defense. If he's the only guy on the floor not shooting 3's he'll have lanes to roll to the rim.

I was really into the idea of Myles Turner coming but Thompson for $9 mil instead of Turner for $18... maybe that's better?
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson

The Celtics took Kemba in using cap space, even with the S&T.  If Baynes was on the roster, we couldn’t have completed the deal.
they gave up 17 million in a trade, they didn't need full max to do the trade.  Baynes could have been on the roster and that trade would have still worked

We had half of that counting as outgoing due to Base Year Compensation, and even then it wasn't nearly enough to add Kemba's salary. We absorbed Kemba into cap space, it would have taken a S&T with Kyrie to match the salaries (hence that being a big part of the Horford idea/rumor).

If Baynes had been on the roster, we would have been $5 million short.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2020, 01:58:14 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith

We had half of that counting as outgoing due to Base Year Compensation, and even then it wasn't nearly enough to add Kemba's salary. We absorbed Kemba into cap space, it would have taken a S&T with Kyrie to match the salaries (hence that being a big part of the Horford idea/rumor).

If Baynes had been on the roster, we would have been $5 million short.
you can absorb onky some of. Sprayer into cap space and make up the rest with salary. Are you sure thay wouldn't have applied here?

« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2020, 02:01:28 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thanks Danny.

All things considered he's turned my frown from GH leaving into a smile.

Tristan's going to be HUGE for us.

I think we're looking at ANOTHER deep season playoff run next year...deeper than THIS year.

Tristan certainly wasn't on my radar but leave it to Danny to have a plan.

Will need The Jays to assume full leadership mantles but that will happen.

Things looking UP right now.

« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2020, 02:02:27 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

So you really don't like that pick 24 and Baynes became pick 30 and Kanter(coming off a great playoffs), which then became two seconds and Thompson (an all NBA defender, double double machine who is not actually an all NBA defender and really just a 9/9 player at almost double the salary)?
Well I'm shocked  ;D

« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2020, 02:07:21 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Thanks Danny.

All things considered he's turned my frown from GH leaving into a smile.

Tristan's going to be HUGE for us.

I think we're looking at ANOTHER deep season playoff run next year...deeper than THIS year.

Tristan certainly wasn't on my radar but leave it to Danny to have a plan.

Will need The Jays to assume full leadership mantles but that will happen.

Things looking UP right now.

agreed

DAnny shored up glaring weaknesses this team had last season

lack of sure shooters. Nemith was the best pure shooter of the draft.  Pritchard shot over 40 percent also.

A big to battle Bam and Giannis.  Check with TT.  Doesn't hurt that the guy went to the finals 3-4 years and won a championship

Lastly a player who knows how to drive and finish or draw fouls at the rim (Teague).    Celts were too perimeter oriented last season