Author Topic: Are the Celtics practicing load management?  (Read 2400 times)

Are the Celtics practicing load management?
« on: January 16, 2020, 07:34:26 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 34
I have watched the growth of this team for the past 3 years. I have become increasingly convinced that the C's management is using analytics to load manage players. I think this approach is haunting them and will not inspire a championship caliber team. All this season 1 or two player shave been out every night for a variety of reasons. It has started with the Brad Stevens era and it increasingly frustrates me. I turn the game on to find this team night after night not at full strength. I played all through high school and college and you would have had to drag me off the court.  The NBA never used to be this way. Every player on this team has had a flu break. Ive not had the type of flu that would sideline me for 5 years. I know it does happen, but do you think Michael Jordan would have sat almost two weeks with the flu? 

I am having a hard time watching this team with this philosophy. It started with Kyrie Irving. He hardly ever plays and then he cries when he does. Why are we still stuck in this trend?  We saw what he does to teams.  Play your players Boston.  This is a team growing and relies on rhythm. We keep sitting everyone and we all slide and lose that edge and find us back where we were last year.

Brad also frustrates me because he plays based on minutes allocated and not instinct. I saw them lose a game because he Brougth Kemba back late in a game. Is Milwaukee doing the same thing? I wonder.

Re: Are the Celtics practicing load management?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2020, 08:09:57 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Kind of hard to say load management doesn't work when the Raptors just won a title with a 'load managed' Kawhi as the focal point.

Personally, load management of players doesn't concern me even a little.  The players that need it usually get the rest they need (except when bad management intervenes) and the players that don't need the rest play.  If you are managing a team to win a title you have to look at the bigger picture and what is best for your team come springtime.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2020, 08:14:20 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
But you can over mange too and Kawhi is a different type of player.  You can't hold that philosophy with every player.

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 01:29:07 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
I think it's just that we are overrating this team. They are a great basis for making a contender team, but still they are not. Also, Jaylen and Jason duo. We're trying to put them in the All Star category, but they are not that level yet. This team doesn't have an All Star this year, forget the votes. For instance, Tatum makes 39pt on the night, the next one you don't see him on the court. Then he makes 42pt, then comes Detroit, gues what? There's no Tatum again. I don't call our problem Loading management. It's pure inconsistency.

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 06:13:18 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it's just that we are overrating this team.

Ditto TP

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2020, 10:02:29 AM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
The thing is players never used to rest one day for bums and bruises. Also,
This team has and can beat the best teams but they all must be healthy and all clicking. You can't do that when you never have a full roster.

It is a problem. Same thing happened last year. Is Milwaukee resting players?

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2020, 07:30:25 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
Once again playing without a full roster. It is not normal and I feel like Im the only one that sees it. Play your players. Don't hold them out for bumps and bruises.

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2020, 08:06:03 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
we got young players   no Al, or Lebrons. ....they need to be play n while they are young ....we have  NO load to manage

We need guys willing and able to carry the load ....not dodge it.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:48:05 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2020, 08:12:21 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
we got young players   no Al, or Lebrons. ....they need to be play n while they are young ....we hav NO load to manage

Well, I'd say both Kemba and Hayward are past their physical prime, so rest days are probably warranted for them.  Guys like Tatum, Brown, Smart, ect should only be getting rest when they are actually knicked up or the game is meaningless (near the end of the season and seeing is moot).

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2020, 08:23:54 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
load management? You need load to practice load management.

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2020, 09:24:32 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
The thing is players never used to rest one day for bums and bruises. Also,
This team has and can beat the best teams but they all must be healthy and all clicking. You can't do that when you never have a full roster.

It is a problem. Same thing happened last year. Is Milwaukee resting players?

Agreed. We really cant compete when we are not healthy. We dont have the luxury of having that single superstar that will still keep you competitive even with a bunch of injuries. Add the fact that this brutal schedule of 10 games in 15 days and you got a slump coming.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2020, 11:44:52 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
load management? You need load to practice load management.

exactly .....why are we paying max players to sit on the bench, the more money they make THE LESS THEY seem to play .

Imdon't see anybody that has earned the Tim Ducan load mgmt treatment or Kwahi ......guys who put up numbers night in and night out and proved their worth . 

Im skepticism of the quality our load .  Only  Smart  and Kemba plays his hearts out and Smart is turrible shooter .  .....SAD
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 11:56:08 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2020, 11:54:21 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I have watched the growth of this team for the past 3 years. I have become increasingly convinced that the C's management is using analytics to load manage players. I think this approach is haunting them and will not inspire a championship caliber team. All this season 1 or two player shave been out every night for a variety of reasons. It has started with the Brad Stevens era and it increasingly frustrates me. I turn the game on to find this team night after night not at full strength. I played all through high school and college and you would have had to drag me off the court.  The NBA never used to be this way. Every player on this team has had a flu break. Ive not had the type of flu that would sideline me for 5 years. I know it does happen, but do you think Michael Jordan would have sat almost two weeks with the flu? 

I am having a hard time watching this team with this philosophy. It started with Kyrie Irving. He hardly ever plays and then he cries when he does. Why are we still stuck in this trend?  We saw what he does to teams.  Play your players Boston.  This is a team growing and relies on rhythm. We keep sitting everyone and we all slide and lose that edge and find us back where we were last year.

Brad also frustrates me because he plays based on minutes allocated and not instinct. I saw them lose a game because he Brougth Kemba back late in a game. Is Milwaukee doing the same thing? I wonder.

I always said that CBS ices his players , soon as one gets hot and goes off , he pulls him and that usually ends that mans special zone for the night .

He does use soem minute strategy and I ve hated it from the start of his era.  He has a poor feel for the intangibles of the game ...as you commented instinct . 

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2020, 01:13:52 PM »

Offline goz421

• Brad Stevens
 Kind like to the back my original post. My daughter has had this flu a weak and seen many classmates and teammates come down with it. What is with these new flu strains? Geeez never remember getting sick like that. in stead my hope now is C's all get healthy.

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
...i’ve Been wondering about that.

But the thing is that our guys need time together to develop the ever elusive Chemistry