Author Topic: Marcus Smart breaks record- most 3pt made by a Celtic ever  (Read 2652 times)

Re: Marcus Smart breaks record- most 3pt made by a Celtic ever
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 10:01:48 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I'm not sure the league is really in a good place when middle of the road shooters are attempting 22 three pointers in a single game. Quite frankly, it's boring basketball.

But could you imagine if guys like Reggie Miller or Ray Allen were ever allowed to shoot this many threes? Sheesh.....

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 10:02:40 AM »

Offline CF033

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
I'll also add that Dana Barros and in particular Larry Bird played in eras where the 3 pointer was used more sparingly. I believe Larry said that they barely even practiced shooting them back in his day. The 3 point line was first introduced in Larry/Magic's rookie year.

It would be really interesting to see how Bird would play in today's era.

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Kinda thumbing his nose at all the naysayers  ;D

Could this mean he now has THE ultimate green light to lock himself into akind of permanent " Heat Check Zone"  :D

poor cbs

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 12:33:41 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1765
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Marcus starting the year shooting pretty well. Then he sat out for a while with injury, and when he returned his stroke was off. He kind of shot his way back into decent percentage.  I think his confidence is through the roof, and expect that his numbers over all will be on the upswing.  Good for him.

I am happy for him, but I don't expect his % to increase all that much. While he has a decent stroke from catch-and-shoot, he still just takes way too many headscratchers to ever become a real weapon. It's not like he is Kemba off the dribble or anything. I'd love for him to focus on only taking open 3s.

I think he finished last season hitting about 36% from 3. I expect his percentage to climb back to about that level for the year by end of season. Plus or minus 1%.  I think that is realistic.

After his monster night, he is shooting 35.5% - so I think he is about there. Maybe you were going on his % pre-Suns game, in which case I can agree with you.

If Smart would just stop the random, early shot-clock, well-defended 3s he seemingly takes once or twice per game, I could see him pushing toward the 40% mark...I mean, I guess not for this season (he would have to shoot 44.5% on similar volume), but over the course of a full-season. That's how much I trust his open catch-and-shoot 3 at this point.

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 12:40:46 PM »

Offline Ogaju

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1871
I'll also add that Dana Barros and in particular Larry Bird played in eras where the 3 pointer was used more sparingly. I believe Larry said that they barely even practiced shooting them back in his day. The 3 point line was first introduced in Larry/Magic's rookie year.

If Bird played in this era they would have to extend the three point line.

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 01:35:04 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
The amount of energy, aggression and mayhem Marcus brings to defence does not necessarily line up with the psyche of a three point sharpshooter. That smooth. repetitive ,unflappable  precision devoid of  emotion.

Marcus is a middle linebacker in shorts. A real rare breed, Avery was a pickpocket who slid over screens. Marcus uses his core strength, leverage and fearless aggression to intimidate and make screeners shrink.

He also takes late in clock shots, less this year with Kemba and Jayson, end of quarter, halftime from anywhere on court lowering his average .Remember Jerebko and Kelly it was a hot potato with those two..

Last night he consoled Gordon and meant it and after the game said he would swap the three's for a win and he meant it.On refection he might change his mind.
I'm glad he holds that record another testament to the effort he has put in.
I also believe like Tommy his shooting was hindered by those injuries after a summer of working hard on his shot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2020, 01:41:22 PM by rollie mass »

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 03:38:16 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

If Bird played in this era they would have to extend the three point line.
If Antoine played in this era they'd set a limit on how many per game.

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2020, 03:48:54 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Marcus Curry??

Marcus Antoine Walker at 1st

Next phase to become....

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2020, 03:49:27 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
GOAT!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2020, 04:23:52 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
The amount of energy, aggression and mayhem Marcus brings to defence does not necessarily line up with the psyche of a three point sharpshooter. That smooth. repetitive ,unflappable  precision devoid of  emotion.

Marcus is a middle linebacker in shorts. A real rare breed, Avery was a pickpocket who slid over screens. Marcus uses his core strength, leverage and fearless aggression to intimidate and make screeners shrink.

He also takes late in clock shots, less this year with Kemba and Jayson, end of quarter, halftime from anywhere on court lowering his average .Remember Jerebko and Kelly it was a hot potato with those two..

Last night he consoled Gordon and meant it and after the game said he would swap the three's for a win and he meant it.On refection he might change his mind.
I'm glad he holds that record another testament to the effort he has put in.
I also believe like Tommy his shooting was hindered by those injuries after a summer of working hard on his shot.

Congratulations Marcus!  You earned it with all your effort, hustle and defense.

And TP for the excellent post Rollie.