Author Topic: The Celticsblog Hall of Fame  (Read 148270 times)

Re: The Celticsblog Hall of Fame
« Reply #90 on: September 09, 2008, 07:42:19 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
I think the first few batches of inductees can just be accepted by general consensus.  There are some pretty obvious candidates.

Maybe one first big inductee class of 5-6 people, followed by a smaller yearly class.  Remember, this is for some of the great contributors.  Being around for awhile isn't enough, and being active isn't enough.  Heck, even making great posts isn't enough.  You have to do it all consistently.

I think the yearly class could be nominated by any posters, but only voted on by current active members.  If someone is respected enough to be voted in the HOF, they are respected enough to decide the votes.

As for particular threads, definitely archive them.  It wouldn't be the same if people were still posting in it.  Some truly great articles or interviews of course should also be archived for everyone.

I lack any software knowledge so cannot offer to help with anything on the technical side, sadly.

On a side note, I normally prove every Friday and Saturday night that thought and action don't have to have anything to do with each other.

« Reply #91 on: September 09, 2008, 08:21:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just some ideas:

I thought about having a vote to see who would make the initial group of inductees and then I thought, isn't that being a bit presumptuous. This is Celticsblog and it is someone's baby, so to speak. So besides inducting Jeff I think it should be Jeff who decides who are the first group or two or three groups to be inducted. After his choice of inductees the initial time maybe the inductees decide together who to nominate and Jeff decides who is inducted.

My reasoning here is that the guy at the top, Jeff, knows better than anyone else who has been most important to this site and who deserves such honor. Heck, there could be someone behind the scenes who none of us have ever heard of who could be instrumental in Celticsblog being what it is today that needs recognition. Jeff, more than anyone knows who these people deserving such credit are. Also, there could be people involved at earlier stages of Celticsblog that are no longer a part of this community that few here remember of know about. Jeff would know who those people are.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of turning this into some sort of popularity contest. It should be filled with contributors who Jeff and maybe later on others truly helped to shape, preserve, and nuture CB into what it is.

I don't think I can stress this enough. I think it would be a huge mistake to put the nominating and voting of members into the hands of the membership.

Something that might be interactive for the membership could be the nominating of posts, threads, articles, and interviews and then possibly the voting on the most deserving of those pieces. There could be an area where there would now be posts of the year, thread of the year, article of the year and interview of the year. A thread could remain open all year for people to nominate these pieces. The Hall membership could narrow it down to three and then membership could vote.

Then, each year, just as everyone is returning to CB for opening game, Celticsblog could reveal its newest inductees and the results could be announced for the yearly awards.

Anyway, just a few ideas.

« Reply #92 on: September 09, 2008, 09:55:51 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

p.s. when time comes, I'll probably nominate a few "living legends" in Bob Day, Roy Hobbes, and FLCeltsFan.  Plus that kid Steve Weinman has a great future ahead of him ;)

Too kind, as always...but much thanks.

I'm amazed by the initiative Nick has taken here and looking forward to seeing where this project goes...and I'm hoping to lobby for a place on the committee that nominates for awards along the lines of "Most infamous post-championship trade idea that involved moving one of the Big 3 so that we could start Tony Allen" and "Most amusing incidence of fans hopping off the edge when the future was mortgaged for that middle-of-the-road fella from 'Sota..."

Just kidding, of course.  Great stuff, folks...the finished or at least 'ongoing' product should be amazing.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #93 on: September 09, 2008, 10:44:02 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
Just some ideas:

I thought about having a vote to see who would make the initial group of inductees and then I thought, isn't that being a bit presumptuous. This is Celticsblog and it is someone's baby, so to speak. So besides inducting Jeff I think it should be Jeff who decides who are the first group or two or three groups to be inducted. After his choice of inductees the initial time maybe the inductees decide together who to nominate and Jeff decides who is inducted.

My reasoning here is that the guy at the top, Jeff, knows better than anyone else who has been most important to this site and who deserves such honor. Heck, there could be someone behind the scenes who none of us have ever heard of who could be instrumental in Celticsblog being what it is today that needs recognition. Jeff, more than anyone knows who these people deserving such credit are. Also, there could be people involved at earlier stages of Celticsblog that are no longer a part of this community that few here remember of know about. Jeff would know who those people are.

Also, I'm not a huge fan of turning this into some sort of popularity contest. It should be filled with contributors who Jeff and maybe later on others truly helped to shape, preserve, and nuture CB into what it is.

I don't think I can stress this enough. I think it would be a huge mistake to put the nominating and voting of members into the hands of the membership.

Something that might be interactive for the membership could be the nominating of posts, threads, articles, and interviews and then possibly the voting on the most deserving of those pieces. There could be an area where there would now be posts of the year, thread of the year, article of the year and interview of the year. A thread could remain open all year for people to nominate these pieces. The Hall membership could narrow it down to three and then membership could vote.

Then, each year, just as everyone is returning to CB for opening game, Celticsblog could reveal its newest inductees and the results could be announced for the yearly awards.

why no voting? i mean thats how all-star teams are decided.

Become Legendary.

« Reply #94 on: September 10, 2008, 12:04:16 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
Just some ideas:

Is that meant in favor of voting?

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #95 on: September 10, 2008, 04:26:41 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just some ideas:

Is that meant in favor of voting?

-sw
LOL, exactly Steve. You just explained why voting from the membership shouldn't be used, zerophase. Perfect example as to why voting for entry should never be used, All-Star game balloting. I couldn't have come up with a better example.

« Reply #96 on: September 10, 2008, 04:56:00 AM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
I think there should be a wing in the Celticsblog hall of fame for all the threads that include a trade offer of "Scal, Pruitt, and maybe a 2nd rounder"

« Reply #97 on: September 11, 2008, 10:22:35 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
if there is ever a star wars wing....im a sure lock ;)

« Reply #98 on: September 12, 2008, 09:06:13 AM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
I willing to help anyway I can. Just PM me and anything I can do I will.

Thanks, nick.  For right now, what would be helpful is things like:

1) ideas for the nomination process
2) how voting is done
3) in the event of Hall of Fame threads, are these archived, or kept active?

... and any other ideas people may have. 

What my preliminary thoughts are (building off the ideas of Jeff, Bob, you, and others) is to have a sub-forum dedicated to the Hall of Fame, where only staff members can start new threads.  I'm trying to figure out if we want to do it like our Announcements forum (where only staff members can post in threads) or keep it like a normal interactive forum.  Ideally, I think we'd have some threads that are interactive and some that are not.  The easiest way to do this, of course, is to just lock the threads we don't be interactive.  However, our software purges locked threads after a certain period of time, so that's not necessarily the greatest option.

Anyway, I'm bringing some of these thoughts out into the public to show that just because the staff isn't *acting* on an idea, doesn't meant they're not *thinking* about it.
A note on the locked threads purging. This is something I do manually once a week to keep the database trimmed up some. SMF gets a little cranky when it has over one million records in it and we're way beyond that. I move out all Locked threads and also all Moved Topic notices older than seven days. The way I do it doesn't affect "stickied" threads though. So if you did go with one or more locked threads that were stickied they wouldn't be affected by the database cleanup.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2008, 02:02:00 PM »

Offline Bob Day

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • El Webmaster Romántico
forgive me for forgetting the following

Master PO (just for being himself)
Master PO's interview with Bill Russell

(just wanted to get that down on "paper" before I forgot ...again)
I haven't been around much lately other than to do basic database maintenance and such, but I have to 2nd or 3rd this. Master Po did a masterful job with Mr. Bill. It definitely belongs in the CelticsBlog Classics category.
Yo no soy para el delicado!

« Reply #100 on: June 29, 2009, 04:39:56 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Just dredging up some mothballed ideas...Thought of this one while compiling the TP Honor Roll today.
Yup

« Reply #101 on: June 29, 2009, 06:17:26 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Just dredging up some mothballed ideas...Thought of this one while compiling the TP Honor Roll today.
I am with u totally in following this one
We have to use free time this off season to nominate this year class
and then vote for inducteds

I am all in and nominate as usual PO if theres no other nominated yet?

saludos

p.s. I dont remember if theres was already a inducted class, last year
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #102 on: June 29, 2009, 07:30:35 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I am with u totally in following this one
We have to use free time this off season to nominate this year class
and then vote for inducteds

I am all in and nominate as usual PO if theres no other nominated yet?

saludos

p.s. I dont remember if theres was already a inducted class, last year

I think it was just sort of left where it was.
Yup

« Reply #103 on: June 29, 2009, 08:06:30 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Po Jeff and Green17 should be the introductory members, for sure. CFanMiss Probably too. That should be enough for one year, yeah?

Hey Chris, how long have you been around? I remember when Roy, WD and Edgar were all made staff, but I don't remember you so I'm guessing it was before then?

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #104 on: June 29, 2009, 08:16:31 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Po Jeff and Green17 should be the introductory members, for sure. CFanMiss Probably too. That should be enough for one year, yeah?

Hey Chris, how long have you been around? I remember when Roy, WD and Edgar were all made staff, but I don't remember you so I'm guessing it was before then?

Wow, I can barely even remember.  I think it was before all those guys had joined the staff.  I think it was something like 2005 or 2006...I can't believe it's been that long though.

edit: OK, after thinking about it some more, I think I joined the site in 2005 (coincidently, the same time I started working full time), but I am not possitive when I joined the staff...probably 2006.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:28:47 PM by Chris »