Author Topic: Moore: good defender and shot blocker?  (Read 43743 times)

Moore: good defender and shot blocker?
« on: February 24, 2009, 08:52:44 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I was just reading the Spears notes and saw this quote from Perk:

"He plays with a lot of energy," Celtics center Kendrick Perkins said. "He's a good shot blocker. He can shoot the 15-footer a little bit. He's a pretty good defender."

this was mentioned quite a bit yesterday and i just don't understand the genesis of it.

can someone lay this out for me because my understanding of Moore is that he neither a good shot blocker nor a good defender. And the only consistent thing about him is that he is inconsistent.

Is it is just people wanting/hoping that is the case? Is it spin? Is it merely that he is better than POB?

I mean, I just don't get it. This move seems like a waste of a roster spot to me. If Smith doesn't get bought out, then this might end up being okay, but if he does this seems like not the right move....

Re: Moore: good defender and shot blocker?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:59:50 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
Quit being so [dang] negative. Mikki Moore is a huge upgrade from what we had and he is an energy player and that is what we need right now coming off the bench.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:03:09 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Quit being so [dang] negative. Mikki Moore is a huge upgrade from what we had and he is an energy player and that is what we need right now coming off the bench.

i hope you're right. I don't see him as a huge upgrade. IMO we needed an impact player. he seems inferior to BBD, Powe and Scal.

how is that a huge upgrade?

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:08:45 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The comments that I have read from older sources (stuff before his being waived) seemed to indicate that he's a decent defender.  My impression - and someone smarter can correct me - is that he's a fairly smart defender, a good team defender, although given how slight he is he's clearly going to be overpowered at times.  There was one commentator about the Kings' defensive woes that said "Moore can't do it all!"

He doesn't block many shots, I don't think he's really someone people are afraid of driving on.  Then again, the guys he's going to be splitting minutes with (Powe, Davis, and Scal) aren't exactly known as shotblockers either.

This may not be accurate, but I almost think of him as a taller Walt McCarty with less range on his jump shot.  Lots of hustle, lots of energy, not a lot of natural talent; awkward.  Someone that his teammates like and that fits right into the locker room.  Someone that busts tail every time he's on the court, someone that generally is in the right spot on defense but that can get pushed around.

The anti-POB; not much talent, but an overflow of hustle and hard work to get to where he is.

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:09:06 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Is Moore even going to play? He might get some minutes while KG is out, but come crunch time, who is he going to get minutes over? BBD?

If that's the case, then he is downgrade IMO because he is taking minutes away from a better player.

The thing about a player like Smith is that he could actually warrant minutes on this roster. but i get this feeling that people only like Moore because he is tall.

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Perk is uninformed.  Anybody who calls Moore a "shot blocker" doesn't know what they're talking about, unless Brian Scalabrine is also a "shot blocker".

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:17:24 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
Perk is uninformed.  Anybody who calls Moore a "shot blocker" doesn't know what they're talking about, unless Brian Scalabrine is also a "shot blocker".

It's not just Perk. This is becoming the common feeling about him.

Clearly he's more able to contribute than POB, but is that really what we were looking for?

I thought we were trying to replace PJ who was an impact player in the playoffs last year.

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2009, 09:20:06 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
why not Robert Horry? At least he could bring some playoff toughness....

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2009, 09:25:13 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
I don't get people who are disappointed that Mikki Moore isn't PJ Brown.  PJ Brown isn't coming back, and there's a good chance Joe Smith isn't going to be available either.  So, what SHOULD Danny do here?  Nothing?  I mean, we can argue about whether we should have pushed for Deke earlier in the year, or signed Chris Anderson instead of POB, but that's separate from the issue of whether Mikki Moore can fill in as the 9th or 10th man on this team - especially with KG and now maybe Scal out for a while.  

Is there another big man out there today that's any better?

You want to play with Perk, Powe, and BBD as the only available bigs?  Who's the backup PF, Pierce?  

From everything that I'm reading, Moore's a poor individual defender and poor shot blocker, but a very good team defender.  He's athletic enough where he should be able to help man the fort a little bit - and if he's really no good, he goes back to the bench.  No one of any consequence was let go to add Mikki Moore to our bench.  

Ultimately, this will probably prove to be a complete non-event; Moore will NOT be the reason we win or lose #18 - but it seems that people who don't like the Moore signing are really upset about OTHER decisions that are now in the past.

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »

Offline twistedrico

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 22
There is no money and there are no impact players available! I take Mikki Moore over Robert Horry at this point in their careers.

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:26:34 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He might block shots, but by the numbers he's probably fouling the player almost everytime he does. Which isn't too helpful but better than playing defense like the Denver bigs last night.

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 09:28:30 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There is no money and there are no impact players available! I take Mikki Moore over Robert Horry at this point in their careers.

There *is* money.  As of right now, though, you're correct: there are no impact players available.  Joe Smith may be bought out, and I would have waited another week.

I think people are disappointed because all along people defending the off-season were saying "but we'll supplement during the season!".  To date, we've replaced Posey, P.J. and Sam with Mikki Moore.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 09:31:35 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
I don't get people who are disappointed that Mikki Moore isn't PJ Brown.  PJ Brown isn't coming back, and there's a good chance Joe Smith isn't going to be available either.  So, what SHOULD Danny do here?  Nothing?  I mean, we can argue about whether we should have pushed for Deke earlier in the year, or signed Chris Anderson instead of POB, but that's separate from the issue of whether Mikki Moore can fill in as the 9th or 10th man on this team - especially with KG and now maybe Scal out for a while.  

Is there another big man out there today that's any better?

You want to play with Perk, Powe, and BBD as the only available bigs?  Who's the backup PF, Pierce?  

From everything that I'm reading, Moore's a poor individual defender and poor shot blocker, but a very good team defender.  He's athletic enough where he should be able to help man the fort a little bit - and if he's really no good, he goes back to the bench.  No one of any consequence was let go to add Mikki Moore to our bench.  

Ultimately, this will probably prove to be a complete non-event; Moore will NOT be the reason we win or lose #18 - but it seems that people who don't like the Moore signing are really upset about OTHER decisions that are now in the past.

i hear what you're saying, Bird. I just honestly felt that we needed to add an impact player off the bench in order to get by the Cavs. so that is where my disappointment stems from.

I agree with you that if JS doesn't get bought out, then this move looks better.

my feeling about the relative importance of whatever move is made is that playoff series are often won and loss on key plays/performances here and there. I mean, we know what we are going to get out of our main guys....

but think back to those big shots by PJ and all the banging that he did to neutralize Varejao. think about the game 4 performance of Posey that could have had that series go to 2-2 in a blowout...

maybe the impact that I'm looking for will come from Marbury?

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:16 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen

There *is* money.  As of right now, though, you're correct: there are no impact players available.  Joe Smith may be bought out, and I would have waited another week.

I think people are disappointed because all along people defending the off-season were saying "but we'll supplement during the season!".  To date, we've replaced Posey, P.J. and Sam with Mikki Moore.

I haven't been comfortable with that approach from the get-go.  It was a calculated risk on Danny's part, but there have not really been that many buyouts this year for whatever reason.  It was also a calculated risk on his part that he'd be able to convince PJ to lace them up once again.

So, Danny screwed that up.  The offseason changes were poor because he took a gamble on high-quality veteran players being bought out, and that didn't happen (as well, I would argue, by bringing back TA instead of someone like Matt Barnes, but that's a separate discussion).

At this point, that's history; a sunk cost.

What are we going to do, NOW?  Who's the best available big man?  Probably, unfortunately, Mikki Moore.  Bite the bullet and sign the man, we're still a better team (marginally) with Moore than without him.

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2009, 09:33:39 AM »

Offline BillfromBoston

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 79

i hope you're right. I don't see him as a huge upgrade. IMO we needed an impact player. he seems inferior to BBD, Powe and Scal.

how is that a huge upgrade?

This team has 4 All Stars...what type of "impact" level player are we talking about here?

I just don't think this fanbase can process the difference between last year and this year - its been too long since this team contended and romantic notions of 80's dominance has clouded reality to a degree.

This team is very, very strong and is a true contender -- whatever limitations they have are no greater than any other team...they can beat any team in a 7 game series, but it doesn't mean they are a cake-walk...nor were they last year...

...Marbury will be the 5th All Star talent on the roster if he's added, will that be enough to ease the fear?