Author Topic: 2020 Red Sox Thread  (Read 82308 times)

Re: 2019 Red Sox Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2019, 06:31:34 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
Looks like we're getting there though. They were clearly underdone to start the season.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2019, 04:22:14 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Beat the Mariners 14-1...felt like an exorcism  :angel:

« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2019, 07:53:16 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
Hector Velazquez has been pulled after 1/3 inning after giving up 5 runs and recording 1 out against the Astros in the 1st inning  ;D ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2019, 10:32:27 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
So with Chavis and Devers (and a weirdly good bullpen) breaking out, Sox still cant buy a hit from 7, 8,9. I expect Jackie will warm eventually, but Holt and Pedroia would be SUPER nice to get back now.

LOVE Pearce, but that contract had Panda written all over it.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #139 on: May 27, 2019, 10:40:27 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So with Chavis and Devers (and a weirdly good bullpen) breaking out, Sox still cant buy a hit from 7, 8,9. I expect Jackie will warm eventually, but Holt and Pedroia would be SUPER nice to get back now.

Pearce, as in Steve Pearce? Isn't he only on a 1-yr deal for just over $6M? He is also fresh off a WS MVP. I don't know how that really compares to a $95M/5 year contract in Sandoval.

But, yeah, the Red Sox still have a ways to go. That start was utterly brutal!

« Reply #140 on: May 27, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664

Pedroia has had another setback, but Holt will be back with the team soon.  It will be interesting to see what they do with the roster as Chavis needs to remain in the lineup.  I suspect either Nunez or Pearce will be cut.

They have a center fielder named Jarren Duran hitting .400 in Salem (advanced A).  He might be Bradley's replacement, but probably not this season.

« Reply #141 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:25 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

Pearce, as in Steve Pearce? Isn't he only on a 1-yr deal for just over $6M? He is also fresh off a WS MVP. I don't know how that really compares to a $95M/5 year contract in Sandoval.

Yeah Pearce is showing signs of life lately, but he is only part time player making only 6 mil. I don’t get that comparison. 

I think 7 through 9 in the order is not that bad. Vasquez is having a very good year, it was about this time last year JBJ turned his season around (he’s had 3 homers the past week or so), and if we have our starters in everywhere else we are really strong.

I love what Cora is doing with the bullpen. Instead of rigid roles for like 7th inning, 8th inning, and closer he is playing the matchup game.  Barnes is in there a lot to face the meat of the order of opposing teams no matter what inning it is. It may be more important to have him in a 1 run game in the 7th than a 3 run game in the 9th facing the bottom of the order where he would get the “save”.  More teams are doing things like this. I don’t think Kimbrel would have bought into that type of flexibility, and the amount of money he is looking for is way too much.

« Reply #142 on: May 27, 2019, 11:39:36 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Pearce is only signed through this year at $6.5 mil.

Hopefully his bat comes around. I agree with the bottom of the line-up. My hope is Jackie Bradley starts to heat up and then perhaps the Sox can trade him at the deadline. He's clearly shown that he's too inconsistent to be relied upon and perhaps another team will see through his offense and value his defense (maybe an NL club.) He's only under contract through one more year too.

I don't trust the bullpen. Despite what the numbers may show, if the Sox are in a wildcard game and it comes down to the bullpens, I don't feel good about our chances. Maybe acquiring another bullpen arm will help stabilize the pen.

Holt is coming back today however Pedroia had a setback and he may be done. As you mentioned, fortunately it's given Chavis a chance in the lineup and he's shined along with Devers. Despite all the critcism about how barren our farm system is, we still have a good nucleus going with Devers, Chavis, Benintendi, and other prospects on the way.

David Price's status also scares me. He supposedly had to leave Saturday's game with the flu but I don't know if I buy that. I worry about that elbow that caused him to be on the IL.

Sox may want to look into a trade for Madison Bumgarner and Will Smith from San Fran.

« Reply #143 on: May 27, 2019, 11:43:42 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417

Yeah Pearce is showing signs of life lately, but he is only part time player making only 6 mil. I don’t get that comparison. 

I think 7 through 9 in the order is not that bad. Vasquez is having a very good year, it was about this time last year JBJ turned his season around (he’s had 3 homers the past week or so), and if we have our starters in everywhere else we are really strong.

I love what Cora is doing with the bullpen. Instead of rigid roles for like 7th inning, 8th inning, and closer he is playing the matchup game.  Barnes is in there a lot to face the meat of the order of opposing teams no matter what inning it is. It may be more important to have him in a 1 run game in the 7th than a 3 run game in the 9th facing the bottom of the order where he would get the “save”.  More teams are doing things like this. I don’t think Kimbrel would have bought into that type of flexibility, and the amount of money he is looking for is way too much.

Vasquez does have some pop in his bat (sorta reminds me of Pudge Rodriguez) but his defense behind the plate has been shotty. It's too bad they gave up on Swihart. I think they could've kept him and used him as a utility man (catcher, infield, outfield.)

He's also a better athlete than Vasquez and I think his bat would've been a big boost for our lineup.

« Reply #144 on: May 27, 2019, 01:34:27 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1666

Vasquez does have some pop in his bat (sorta reminds me of Pudge Rodriguez) but his defense behind the plate has been shotty. It's too bad they gave up on Swihart. I think they could've kept him and used him as a utility man (catcher, infield, outfield.)

He's also a better athlete than Vasquez and I think his bat would've been a big boost for our lineup.

Swihart is hitting .148 with Arizona.  They gave up on the dude for a reason:  he was the worst defensive catcher on the roster and his bat did not come close to making up for it.

Yes he’s a great athlete, but he’s not a good baseball player.

Also, Vaz’s defense is solid.  He’s not as good as he was supposed to be as a prospect, but he’s decent.  I need him to make that play to prevent the run yesterday, but he calls a solid game (something Swi never did) and he shuts down the running game. 

« Reply #145 on: May 27, 2019, 01:50:53 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chavis missed 80 minor league games last year due to PED suspension. I wonder how long it is until he gets pinched in the majors.

« Reply #146 on: May 27, 2019, 02:25:55 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
sad as it is to type this, pedrioa is probably done for the year and is quite possibly done forever.

Quotes:
Sean McAdam‏ @Sean_McAdam 10m10 minutes ago
Pedroia said pain was bad in last game for Pawtucket and knee “not allowing me to play every day.”
Ian Browne‏Verified account @IanMBrowne 10m10 minutes ago
Dustin Pedroia, "The last game I played, the pain was kind of to the point I had to tell the trainer I had to come out. It was a tough day. Next day, I woke up and it wasn't any better. It's too a point now where my knee is not allowing me to play every day.

Ian Browne‏Verified account @IanMBrowne 9m9 minutes ago
"I'm at a point right now where I need some time. That's what my status is." -- Pedroia.

Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 10m10 minutes ago
Pedroia on if he will play again: “I’m not sure.”

Chris Mason‏Verified account @ByChrisMason 10m10 minutes ago
Pedroia: “I’m at a point right now where I need some time... I’m not thinking about having surgery.”

Jen McCaffrey‏Verified account @jcmccaffrey 9m9 minutes ago
Pedroia: I need some time. Not sure he’ll be able to play again but he’s not thinking of another surgery. Pain was to a point where told the trainer had to come out of game this weekend. Next day woke up and wasnt better. Knee is not allowing him to play every day.

Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 8m8 minutes ago
Pedroia: “Some days I feel fine and then an hour later walking is tough.” “I think the time will give me the right answer if we can do this.”
Ian Browne‏Verified account @IanMBrowne 9m9 minutes ago
"Some days, I feel fine, and an hour later, walking is tough. If I'm on an hour to hour basis of being able to do anything athletically, that's tough. I think the time will give me the right answer of if I can do this." -- Pedroia.

Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 8m8 minutes ago
Pedroia: “Time will go on and I’ll know more about it. I haven’t sat down and thought about retirement. I just now that right now I need a break from the everyday stresses and dealing what I’m dealing with.”
Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 11m11 minutes ago
Pedroia doesn’t want to have surgery again. Says recommended surgery would affect quality of life.

Chris Cotillo‏Verified account @ChrisCotillo 3m3 minutes ago
Pedroia: “My knee will never heal. We’re taking the time right now to find out if I can play again.”
-----------
Jen McCaffrey‏Verified account @jcmccaffrey 8m8 minutes ago
It sounds like Pedroia has been trying so hard to come back, retirement was a last resort. Now that it’s more of a reality, they’re giving him time to come to terms with it
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #147 on: June 01, 2019, 05:51:19 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
What a year for John Henry, Tom Werner and the Fenway Sports Group.

Red Sox win the World Series, and now Liverpool wins the Champions League

Both franchises valued over $2B I believe.

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #148 on: June 01, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

That's two continents where John Henry and Tom Werner may never need to buy a drink again (North America, Europe).
Cities sure, not continents. There aren't many people in North America that will buy them a drink because they are the Red Sox owners. While the Red Sox have a huge national following, one of the best in baseball, they aren't much liked outside of that fan base.

« Reply #149 on: June 01, 2019, 06:24:03 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

Cities sure, not continents. There aren't many people in North America that will buy them a drink because they are the Red Sox owners. While the Red Sox have a huge national following, one of the best in baseball, they aren't much liked outside of that fan base.

True, but technically speaking as long as they stay in the New England region, it'll still apply!  ;)
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller