Author Topic: Unconventional Wisdom  (Read 8608 times)

Re: Unconventional Wisdom
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 04:30:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Is our roster good?   Nope.   We are tanking because of our roster.   We don't have to play bad to lose games.   These guys can play hard and we will still lose.   Danny, I have to hand it to you.

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 05:12:44 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
this draft is on a whole 'nother level.
multiple franchise caliber players.
plus if we lose but develop our young guys like sully and olynyk then we get something out of it.

How are you coming up with this conclusion?  I don't care if Wiggins has been scouted since he was a baby, he hasn't proven anything past HS yet.  I want to see him dominate college first. Lebron/KG are like one time exceptions

Take a look at the draft for the past 10 years and only 2003-2004 stands to contain 4 or 5 franchise calibre players. Every other year, you get 1 or maybe 2 if your lucky. Even at that 2003-2004 there was proof and excitement why these guys were going to do very well in the nba. James a risk/exception choice, Darko obviously a miss, then you got Melo who in his 1st year led syracuse to a championship title and Dwade out of nowhere took his marquette team to the elite 8.

In the projection of 2014 draft, out of the top 5 picks only one will have more than one year of college experience and that is Marcus Smart. And even though he has potential he has ways to go to prove he can play nba ball. Bottom line is, nobody know how the 2014 draft pick will fare at this point.

So i don't agree with you danny pulled off the KG/PP trade just at the right time. It could of been a coincidence. He could of kept both, if we went to the ECF again. Its hard to say.

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 06:40:21 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45
I don't by the "losing culture" argument at all. Just doesn't hold water, but sounds good to crusty commentators. More likely, tanking doesn't work because tanking is rarely intentional (other than toward the end of the year trying to go from 3rd worst to 1st worst) but rather because the players are just bad (not "conditioned" to losing, just bad). Furthermore, as correctly pointed out, it's not definite that you'll get a franchise player. So you have a bad team of bad players and add to that a possibly not franchise player (and even franchise players can't do it all; Kobe missed playoffs when alone, KG before the trade, etc). It then takes several years to purge those bad players and actually have the base of a team that can contend.

For us, trading rondo to tank would likely be stupid. But trading hem and getting excellent value in return (whatever that might be) and ensuring a higher pick AS WELL is a different issue.

Alternatively, this could end up being a Spurs '97 year. Hold rondo back, take a chance at a franchise changing top 3 player to add to rondo, allow sully and olynyk some advancement, pray Green shows us something he hasn't in 6 years, and go from there.

Right, this is pretty much how I feel about the situation.

And to be clear, I don't just mean tanking in the sense of benching good players, but I mean the GM deciding "Oh, we'll let some of our good players go so we can be really bad and have a 'rebuilding' year" form of tanking.

1) Teams do that all of the time and it rarely works

2) I also don't buy the "losing culture" argument as it's stated, BUT (and this is a HUGE but, and my main point, in fact) free agents want to play for teams that are good. So when you "rebuild" and design your team to intentionally be bad, no free agents are going to want to sign there. Why did Dwight sign with the Rockets and not, say, the Wizards? Hell, the Wizards have a #1 draft pick on John Wall, was Dwight crazy? No, it's because the residue of crappy players left over from sucking enough to GET Wall in the first place deterred Dwight from going there. No free agent wants to walk into a rebuilding process, they want to go to a team that's already a contender or team they know they can make a contender simply by showing up.

How many big name free agents can you think of that went to a non-playoff team? I can't think of any.

The point is, I think Ainge was far too content to pick up bad players and bad contracts simply so the Celtics could get a high draft pick. Signing washed up players with horrible contracts like Gerald Wallace is going to screw us a lot more than he thinks.

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 06:52:55 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Is our roster good?   Nope.   We are tanking because of our roster.   We don't have to play bad to lose games.   These guys can play hard and we will still lose.   Danny, I have to hand it to you.

Call it auto- tank scheme

We are watching KO, AB, Sully improve,  break in Stevens as a coach,  while gathering a boat load of draft pick s and hopefully a top five draft pick this year.

A big sell off of junk players at mid season to teams needing shoring up because of injuries to make a run at playoff.

Anxious to see how Rondo  fits into all this .
I believe some team may offer a big man equal value and DA might bite.

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 08:45:17 PM »

Offline VitorSullyandKOFan

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 19
This season will be fun because of the development of KO, Sully, AB, Fav and Brooks plus a few gritty veterans and hopefully Bass and Lee traded for expirings + late round picks. Wallace contract is unmovable until his expiring year but that's not a bad team because I like Wallace and he could provide veteran leadership. If we get a top 7 pick then our core start taking shape(Rondo,Sully,KO and lottery pick) plus a lot of cap space.

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 12:09:34 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Tanking is a bad idea, it rarely ever works out.

It just breeds a losing culture, perpetuated by losers.  The odds of actually getting one of those "franhise changers" is so small, it just isn't worth it to tank.  The odds are heavily in favor of tanking teams not getting that franchise player, and being right back where they were the following season.

In the meantime, the players currently on the roster become conditioned to losing, and just begin to accept it.  Bad habits develop, and the losing just continues season after season.

And if that wasn't bad enough, while all this losing is going on, fans start to get tired of watching a crappy product, stop paying attention, and the team ends up just losing money year after year.

So yeah, as I said, tanking is just plain dopey and rarely ever works out.

But how do you square this argument with the Celtics' very own experience in 2006-07?

We went 24-58 and arguably pulled Pierce from the lineup to tank. Rondo, Perk, TA, Powe etc. all went through this very "culture of losing" you describe.

And yet, we won the championship the next year. How can you say that the period of terrible play did any lasting damage, if we were able to turn things around so quickly?  Do you think Rondo was "conditioned to losing" and now "accepts it"?

And while you're right about the low probability of getting a #1 pick, we did get a valuable #5 pick that was a primary part of our rebuilding trades.

Tanking didn't work that year.

Ridiculous. We won the championship the VERY NEXT YEAR. What other measure of whether it "worked" could you possibly use?

Without that #5 pick, in all likelihood the Ray Allen trade never happens. So, the KG trade never happens. KG was not willing to come here until after the Ray trade.

Yes, we had other assets then. As we do now. Why wouldn't getting a higher draft pick in 2014 help us like it did back then?

And you didn't even respond to my primary question: if losing is so toxic to players, why haven't the careers of Pierce, Rondo, Perkins, Tony Allen et al. been ruined?

I'm not saying, just to be clear, that "tanking" is 100% fool-proof. There are tradeoffs and risks. We all know that.

But, Danny has already made the call to trade PP and KG. While that bums me out on many levels, at this point I want the C's to get the highest possible pick in the 2014 draft. If that means making some sacrifices this year, so be it. Maybe we play Olynyk more than we would otherwise, to help his development. Or maybe we play Humphries more, to showcase him for a trade. Maybe we trade a valuable player mid-year for a future asset. Who knows.

And even then, whether we keep that pick and blow up the rest of the roster so that we stink for a couple more years, or whether we trade it for someone to pair with Rondo as part of a shorter-run strategy, or something in between, is something I have no pre-determined preference about.

If we had a bad GM, I would be much more inclined to agree with you. The league is littered with teams who've had great lottery position year after year and haven't turned that into success.

But we have Danny Ainge. We know that he's capable of taking a mediocre perennial early-round playoff exit team, blowing it up, and shepherding it to a championship in short order, through drafting and trading well.

Here's to hoping that we can see him do the same thing again over the next few years.

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 12:18:55 AM »

fitzhickey

plus if we lose but develop our young guys like sully and olynyk then we get something out of it.

How are you coming up with this conclusion?  I don't care if Wiggins has been scouted since he was a baby, he hasn't proven anything past HS yet.  I want to see him dominate college first. Lebron/KG are like one time exceptions

Take a look at the draft for the past 10 years and only 2003-2004 stands to contain 4 or 5 franchise calibre players. Every other year, you get 1 or maybe 2 if your lucky. Even at that 2003-2004 there was proof and excitement why these guys were going to do very well in the nba. James a risk/exception choice, Darko obviously a miss, then you got Melo who in his 1st year led syracuse to a championship title and Dwade out of nowhere took his marquette team to the elite 8.

In the projection of 2014 draft, out of the top 5 picks only one will have more than one year of college experience and that is Marcus Smart. And even though he has potential he has ways to go to prove he can play nba ball. Bottom line is, nobody know how the 2014 draft pick will fare at this point.

So i don't agree with you danny pulled off the KG/PP trade just at the right time. It could of been a coincidence. He could of kept both, if we went to the ECF again. Its hard to say.
let me correct myself, "multiple potential franchise players" is what I meant. I agree that they are unproven but I don't think that all the scouts would be raving so much if they hadn't shown any ability

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 12:40:46 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Also, I forgot to mention this: results of winning the lottery for the last decade+ by seeing how many championships they've won during that time

2012 - Hornets (0 championships)
2011 - Cavs (0 championships)
2010 - Wizards (0 championships)
2009 - Clippers (0 championships)
2008 - Bulls (0 championships)
2007 - Trail Blazers (0 championships)
2006 - Raptors (0 Championships)
2005 - Bucks (0 championships)
2004 - Magic (0 championships)
2003 - Cavs (0 championships)
2002 - Rockets (0 championships)
2001 - Wizards (0 championships)
2000 - Nets (0 championships)
1999 - Bulls (0 championships)
1998 - Clippers (0 championships)

You starting to get the point? You have to go all the way back to 1997 to Tim Duncan and the Spurs to find a team that won the draft and subsequently won a championship in recent history, and THEY ONLY GOT TIM DUNCAN BECAUSE OF CATASTROPHIC INJURIES RUINING THEIR SEASON IN THE FIRST PLACE, AND IT WASN'T A TANK JOB AT ALL.

The numbers don't lie: over the last fifteen years tank jobs are batting 0 for 15. Argue against me all you want, but the facts are the facts. Crime doesn't pay, and tanking is a crime.

There is a significant piece missing from your logic, and that is every team who has won a championship in the new millennium outside of Detroit and Boston has drafted a hall of fame player MVP caliber player, who then stayed with the franchise for them to build around.

Kobe, Dirk, Duncan, Wade...that's the list. Those picks made everything else possible.

If you want to talk contention, real contention, we almost need to draft a player of that caliber (there are outliers; Houston's acquisition of Harden making the Howard signing possible...if Houston actually can and will contend).

Even outside of the title winners, the vast majority of the top teams of the last decade have managed because of one or more lottery picks that panned out, as well as smart drafting and trading. Chicago got stupid lucky, but that's after years of meandering and failed picks...and they still needed Noah (6th), Rose (1st) and Deng (7th).

OKC needed to get crazy lucky for Durant, then tank for Westbrook. Memphis had to get Conley (5th) and get stupid lucky on their own for Marc Gasol. Even then they took a shot on Z-Bo that paid off and made a smart signing for Tony Allen. Indiana...well Indiana is a bit of an outlier as well, but if the road to conference finals glory requires home runs at picks 10 and 17, count me skeptical.

The point is you need franchise talent. We currently don't look like we have it outside of Rondo. Tanking is an ugly word, but we need talent, and this draft has talent. We also need to be either lucky or good at scouting players, depending on how you view such things.

A first overall pick in a season in which we have absolutely zero chance of contending and would be lucky to even stay out of the lottery is a risk Id be willing to take. Even if we end up with a top 5 pick, it's worth it considering the talent we currently have on the roster and the chips we have at our disposal.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 01:13:04 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239

Adorable.

None of these guys would even be in college if they weren't required to be one year out from high school, and they'd still be coveted by NBA teams.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 02:17:32 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

Adorable.

None of these guys would even be in college if they weren't required to be one year out from high school, and they'd still be coveted by NBA teams.

Whats even cuter is that you think some of these guys are shoe ins for the nba hof without seeing their next steps after hs.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:28:00 AM by triboy16f »

« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 02:39:02 AM »

fitzhickey

Adorable.

Whats even cuter is that you think some of these guys are shoe ins for the nba hof without seeing their next steps after hs.
Where has D.o.s. ever said that?

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 04:47:51 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
My unconventional wisdom says judging a the ability of a GM based on whether or not they choose to go down the path of tanking is like taking a ruler to bed to measure how long you sleep. Missing the point entirely. As far as I can tell, whether or not a franchise chooses to blow it up is situational, and not in of itself proof that the franchise GM is good or bad. The Pacers could have tanked but they opted not to because they felt their market would not survive it (same as the bucks). Howver through comprehensive scouting and sensible drafting, and trading, based on a well thought out mid term strategy, they have a very good core with real title aspirations. The difference between them and the Bucks is the Buck do not have a clear direction. WHAT IS THEIR END GAME? I am running out of characters but the same comparison could be done between OKC and the Bobcats. Both tanked but only 1 did it out of s clear sense of direction.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 09:33:42 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
You need to compare Ainge's drafting to other NBA GM's because you're not giving him enough credit.

If tanking gives us a better shot at trading for an established star, does that make it a better option?
eg:
Can we get the Blazers to give us LaMarcus Aldridge for any combination of our current assets that doesn't include Rondo or Green?
I doubt it.

Now if we add a top 6 pick to those assets does it improve our bargaining power or spark the interest of the Blazers a bit more?
Would the Seattle Sonics have been interested in our 2007 pick if it were #13 instead of #5? I doubt it.

Tanking isn't just about drafting players- it's about the value of those picks in trade scenarios.

You can crap on about Morey all you want but the luck involved in getting Harden for scraps and then signing Dwight Howard ahead of all the major market teams and the Lakers having a Kobe-induced melt down to some how disappoint him enough to walk is greater luck than any top 3 draft pick lotto luck.

And what exactly have the Rockets done or won?
Last time I checked they won a championship with multiple top 10 picks and their own drafted Hall of Famer Mr Olajuwan.

The Rockets got insanely lucky- just as we did to pull off the KG/Ray trade. The credit I will give Morey is, similarly to Ainge- he had the ability and the foresight to prepare himself to get lucky and strike it rich.
That's what Ainge is doing now. The luxury he has is that we don't have to pull off miracle number one to get our hands on the first piece like Harden in Houston. Rondo is our Harden. We are looking for a Dwight and probably a third wheel.
How will we get that player? Either the draft or via a trade. If it's going to be via a trade we must collect assets. The most valuable assets in the next 10 months will be first round picks in the top 10 for the 2014 draft.
Danny is just preparing for the hunt. When the time comes he'll make the correct decision.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 09:47:17 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't by the "losing culture" argument at all. Just doesn't hold water, but sounds good to crusty commentators. More likely, tanking doesn't work because tanking is rarely intentional (other than toward the end of the year trying to go from 3rd worst to 1st worst) but rather because the players are just bad (not "conditioned" to losing, just bad). Furthermore, as correctly pointed out, it's not definite that you'll get a franchise player. So you have a bad team of bad players and add to that a possibly not franchise player (and even franchise players can't do it all; Kobe missed playoffs when alone, KG before the trade, etc). It then takes several years to purge those bad players and actually have the base of a team that can contend.

For us, trading rondo to tank would likely be stupid. But trading hem and getting excellent value in return (whatever that might be) and ensuring a higher pick AS WELL is a different issue.

Alternatively, this could end up being a Spurs '97 year. Hold rondo back, take a chance at a franchise changing top 3 player to add to rondo, allow sully and olynyk some advancement, pray Green shows us something he hasn't in 6 years, and go from there.

And to be clear, I don't just mean tanking in the sense of benching good players, but I mean the GM deciding "Oh, we'll let some of our good players go so we can be really bad and have a 'rebuilding' year" form of tanking.

2) I also don't buy the "losing culture" argument as it's stated, BUT (and this is a HUGE but, and my main point, in fact) free agents want to play for teams that are good. So when you "rebuild" and design your team to intentionally be bad, no free agents are going to want to sign there. Why did Dwight sign with the Rockets and not, say, the Wizards? Hell, the Wizards have a #1 draft pick on John Wall, was Dwight crazy? No, it's because the residue of crappy players left over from sucking enough to GET Wall in the first place deterred Dwight from going there. No free agent wants to walk into a rebuilding process, they want to go to a team that's already a contender or team they know they can make a contender simply by showing up.

How many big name free agents can you think of that went to a non-playoff team? I can't think of any.

The point is, I think Ainge was far too content to pick up bad players and bad contracts simply so the Celtics could get a high draft pick. Signing washed up players with horrible contracts like Gerald Wallace is going to screw us a lot more than he thinks.

Since you have the recipe for a championship team, take a look at the last 20 championships. How did the teams that won them- or even the teams that made the NBA finals- get there?

How many of them did it like the 2014 Rockets?

Also do you understand that in order to make the salaries work and get the assets in return for Pierce and KG/Terry we had to take back Wallace/Humphries/Bogans? Without those guys we don't get any Nets picks. Humphries has one year on his deal, as does Bogans.
Wallace is the only longer term and at 10 million he could be dealt fairly easily if we do work out a trade for a true star.

Once again remind me of all those championship teams without a home drafted star and those without one. I eagerly await your list.

You could also make a list of all the free agents or disgruntled stars we could attract with our current roster.
For example, tell me what we currently have that the Wolves would take from us for Kevin Love or the Blazers would take for Aldridge?
Hit me.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 02:54:38 PM »

Offline yoursweatersux

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 45

Since you have the recipe for a championship team, take a look at the last 20 championships. How did the teams that won them- or even the teams that made the NBA finals- get there?

How many of them did it like the 2014 Rockets?

Also do you understand that in order to make the salaries work and get the assets in return for Pierce and KG/Terry we had to take back Wallace/Humphries/Bogans? Without those guys we don't get any Nets picks. Humphries has one year on his deal, as does Bogans.
Wallace is the only longer term and at 10 million he could be dealt fairly easily if we do work out a trade for a true star.

Once again remind me of all those championship teams without a home drafted star and those without one. I eagerly await your list.

You could also make a list of all the free agents or disgruntled stars we could attract with our current roster.
For example, tell me what we currently have that the Wolves would take from us for Kevin Love or the Blazers would take for Aldridge?
Hit me.

Well at least we both agree that the team, as currently constructed, sucks and lacks assets with any trade value, and that it's paramount to acquire more as quickly as possible.

The difference between us is we both disagree on the best way to do it - you think it's the draft (conventional wisdom) and I think it's through free agency and trade (the Rockets strategy).

But first, let me answer your question regarding that list of teams you wanted me to make. How many teams won without homegrown stars, I believe it was? I'm going to answer your question with another question - how many of those homegrown stars succeeded without airdropped help acquired via FREE AGENCY or TRADE?

Were Lebron or Bosh drafted by Miami? Nope.

Gasol or Shaq drafted by the Lakers (or Miami as well, in Shaq's case)? Nope.

Was Tyson Chandler drafted by the Mavs? What about Jason Terry? No.

KG, Ray Allen? No.

Billups or Ben Wallace drafted by Detroit? No.

The list goes on. The one and only freak exception to this rule has been the San Antonio Spurs, who got the best2nd round pick of all time in Ginobili, the greatest 28th pick ever in Tony Parker, and the almighty Tim Duncan due to injuries. They are the one and only, and exceptionally freakish, exception to the rule that championship teams are formed via free agency and trade.

Work backwards with me:

1) To win a championship, unless you're the Spurs, you need to acquire an impact-player (or two) in order to win via trade or free agency. This point is somewhat beyond argument, as I think I just demonstrated. The only team that has done otherwise has been a team that got two Hall of Famers at the 28th pick and 57th pick. Every other team has had the final pieces of the puzzle added via trade or free agency.

Ok, so how did they pull that off?

2) By trading valuable assets, and being a good enough team so as to be attractive to free agents.

3) So where do these valuable assets come from? You want to get them from the draft, whereas I want to get them from trade. The key difference between these methods is that acquiring assets through the draft requires your team to be BAD which drives away potential free agents, as opposed to getting them through trade. Therein lies the advantage of getting assets through trade, and the reason why I'm in favor of it - you can acquire assets while still remaining good. An additional advantage is that you acquire assets that are known entities, as opposed to rolling the dice and crossing your fingers in the draft. In other words, the draft is an elaborate coin flip, while trades allow you to essentially "outplay" other GM's.

The main con with acquiring assets by trade is that, well, your GM has to be better than the other GM's. Fortunately, the league is still chock full of suckers and idiot GM's who rely on things like "the eye test" to determine how good a player is. These traditional GM's are basically garbage, and are just waiting to get swindled. The reason I keep bringing up Morey is because he knows this and takes advantage of it. It's funny, because every time he makes a trade people are like "hmm, I don't know about that trade" until the results speak for themselves. Is it magic? Nope, Morey is just smart enough to use the correct advanced stats to evaluate players, while idiots like Presti and Michael Jordan continue to rely on the eye test, or garbage stats like PER and advanced +/-. It's laughable how GM's who are supposedly qualified to do their jobs rely on those stats even after their flaws have been massively exposed.

For example, non-crap advanced stats had clearly shown that Harden was a better player than Westbrook, way before it became obvious to people who only look at PPG when evaluating players. The problem for Presti and the advantage for Morey is that Morey has been forward-thinking and gutsy enough to rely on these better stats.

You know what the guys over at wagesofwins.com predicted last year? Their model had the San Antonio Spurs winning over the Miami Heat in 6 games. That prediction was made before the season even started, and people thought they were insane and that there was no way the Spurs would even make it to the finals. Well guess what? They were one Ray Allen buzzer beating 3 away from being correct. What was the second most likely outcome, according to their model? The Miami Heat over the Spurs in 7. QED.

Etch this in stone: this year their model predicts the Rockets to have the best record and go to the finals. I'm saying it here and now before the season starts that that is exactly what will happen (of course barring major injury to one of the key Rockets pieces). I have complete confidence in this prediction, and I will be sure to remind everyone that I called it after it happens.