Author Topic: Embiid workout video from Friday LAL workout  (Read 14939 times)

Re: Embiid workout video from Friday LAL workout
« Reply #45 on: May 25, 2014, 04:21:07 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
jabari Parker workout from Friday in Santa Monica, CA.  He looked good also and whatever weight issues that were rumored at the Combine weren't apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDl9JF5hvU

« Reply #46 on: May 25, 2014, 04:23:09 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I do like the the fact that everybody seems to refer to Paul Pierce when it comes to comparables to Parker.

« Reply #47 on: May 25, 2014, 04:26:54 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
jabari Parker workout from Friday in Santa Monica, CA.  He looked good also and whatever weight issues that were rumored at the Combine weren't apparent.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSDl9JF5hvU
I hate seeing these videos with us sitting at 6 feel like I'm being punched in the stomach :-X
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #48 on: May 25, 2014, 06:32:00 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
For a rookie 3, Jabari does look a little thick in the middle--despite the disguise of an all-black uniform.

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2014, 04:27:11 AM »

Offline knuckleballer

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 664
Chad Ford tweeted Embiid's measurements.  7'1" in shoes, 7'5.75" wing span, 9'5.5" standing reach.  Wow, the guy is huge.

He also had Parker and Wiggins' measurements
Parker: 6'9", 6'11.75", 8'11.5"
Wiggins: 6'8.75", 7', 8'11"

I dont know if these guys were wearing 6 layers of socks, but those are impressive measurements.

« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I don't get the Hakeem comparisons.  If Embiid was white or black but not from Africa, would the comparison still be made?  Hakeem was a great athlete regardless of size.  He had as much fluidity and gracefulness as any small guy.  Embiid is a good athlete for his size and two-way players with his skill don't come around often.  But he's a little tight in the hips and he doesn't possess the supreme center of balance that Hakeem did.  He's gangly and looks awkward at times.  Embiid definitely has franchise player potential and considering the rarity that is at the center position, puts him above Wiggins and Parker but Hakeem was on another stratosphere. 

I think Olowokandi and Embiid were similar athletes with similar size.  Embiid could be whoever Olowokandi was supposed to be.

His footwork and 'lean' like Hakeem are probably where the comparisons come from, although I don't really agree with you about his 'hips', I think his jab step and left to right, spin and lean moves are stolen straight from Hakeem. 7 feet tall, can shoot and has footwork WITH a back to the basket game.

He's a post playing 7 footer with the footwork and ball skills of a small forward.
A little old school and that's why the Tim Duncan and Hakeem comparisons are rife.
I do agree with those comparisons though.

Jabari Parker's workout is up tomorrow, and he has lost a bit of weight. I think he's going to become the consensus # 2 pick tomorrow.

How does Embiid have the ball skills and foot work of a small forward?  Because he can spin around and also make some jumpers?  There is a chasm between the fluidity of NBA  perimeter players and Embiid.

Hakeem did everything more fluidly than Embiid.  I like Embiid a lot but Hakeem was one of the best pure athletes ever in the NBA.  He was a great pure leaper but also a great second leaper.  He could spin and change pivots with incredible speed and grace.  And he could shoot fadeaways with a body lean that rivaled Jordan's.   

Don't stress too much lol, Embid is a kid- I never said NBA small forwards, I said small forwards, as in he has excellent handles and fluidity for a 7 foot 1 monster. He's taken those moves from Hakeem and that's where the comparisons come from- movement and length like that are rare and like Hakeem, he got this movement and excellent footwork from playing soccer at a young age as he has noted (and Hakeem as noted).
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.