Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 962680 times)

Re: What's the last movie you watched?
« Reply #1410 on: February 03, 2012, 02:01:37 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I should never have doubted you KC

« Reply #1411 on: February 03, 2012, 02:14:53 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
I should never have doubted you KC

Truf.

« Reply #1412 on: February 03, 2012, 03:07:23 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
Precious. Very good.

Melancholia. Fell asleep.

« Reply #1413 on: February 03, 2012, 03:25:32 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Maltese Falcon. Kinda in shock it's in the top 100 films. I've seen a good 200 or so better than that..dated and unlikely. And Bogart is overrated

Its a brilliant film. Have you no soul man? :(

« Reply #1414 on: February 03, 2012, 03:25:58 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Hangover 2. Not as good as the first.

« Reply #1415 on: February 03, 2012, 10:06:40 PM »

Kiorrik

Well my friends described the film this way:

"Autism has never been more bad-ass."

« Reply #1416 on: February 03, 2012, 10:08:00 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25621
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Well my friends described the film this way:

"Autism has never been more bad-ass."

Haha.  I think that's pretty fair.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #1417 on: February 03, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Maltese Falcon. Kinda in shock it's in the top 100 films. I've seen a good 200 or so better than that..dated and unlikely. And Bogart is overrated

Its a brilliant film. Have you no soul man? :(
I suppose it's the first major film noir, but uhhhh.....there's like 9 things wrong with it and sloppy.

« Reply #1418 on: February 05, 2012, 01:15:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Drive. My thought:

7.0 out of 10

I like a lot about this movie. Loved the symbology (who gets it?). Very student friendly movie. People will watch this one day in the same way we read books. If you've never taken a lit class in college, you won't get what I'm talking about but the characters are all very overt, despite (or because of) the pregnant pauses.

But, it's because of that I only gave it a 7. There is a layered quality to the characters that matches Tennessee Williams, but not Shakespeare, if you get my drift. It's the type of movie that forces you to look deeper but frankly you hit bottom right below the surface.

The soudtrack tells you what to think. Not even kidding. That's emblematic of the movie though. The movie, to me, is made for people who watch bad movies without recognizing they are bad (and honestly I really mean 'not challenging', not bad) and say 'that's a good movie'.

Take for instance 'the godfather'. There are layers to those characters. Sonny, Michael, Vito, they are all layered. And drive was layered, but only once, where Vito for instance was not only a ruthless crime lord, but also a caring father, but also a principled young man, but also a boy longing to right what he saw as a very deep wrong.

The movie 'drive' to me harkens back to a conversation I once had with a professor about the difference between literature and Literature. 'Drive' pretends to be 'Literature' but it's not.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1419 on: February 05, 2012, 01:20:08 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
And as an addendum, with my criticism of drive, I'm not talkin about the difference between a 'good movie' and a 'bad movie'. I'm talking about the difference between a 'good' movie and a timeless movie.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #1420 on: February 05, 2012, 02:48:35 AM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
The Grey. If you love Liam Neeson you will really like this movie. If you don't like him you'll think its decent. Be prepared to hear the F word about 200+ times though. It was a good show I thought even though you have to be prepared to throw out reality just a bit. Worth the bucks.

« Reply #1421 on: February 05, 2012, 05:40:18 AM »

Kiorrik

Drive. My thought:

7.0 out of 10

I like a lot about this movie. Loved the symbology (who gets it?). Very student friendly movie. People will watch this one day in the same way we read books. If you've never taken a lit class in college, you won't get what I'm talking about but the characters are all very overt, despite (or because of) the pregnant pauses.

But, it's because of that I only gave it a 7. There is a layered quality to the characters that matches Tennessee Williams, but not Shakespeare, if you get my drift. It's the type of movie that forces you to look deeper but frankly you hit bottom right below the surface.

The soudtrack tells you what to think. Not even kidding. That's emblematic of the movie though. The movie, to me, is made for people who watch bad movies without recognizing they are bad (and honestly I really mean 'not challenging', not bad) and say 'that's a good movie'.

Take for instance 'the godfather'. There are layers to those characters. Sonny, Michael, Vito, they are all layered. And drive was layered, but only once, where Vito for instance was not only a ruthless crime lord, but also a caring father, but also a principled young man, but also a boy longing to right what he saw as a very deep wrong.

The movie 'drive' to me harkens back to a conversation I once had with a professor about the difference between literature and Literature. 'Drive' pretends to be 'Literature' but it's not.
I think you nailed it.

Say if you'd have Drive, and in the other hand 25th Hour, 25th would be the heavyweight version, and Drive would be "light".

Amirite?

« Reply #1422 on: February 05, 2012, 05:44:07 AM »

Kiorrik

Chronicle.

Man, if you like superhero movies, you will LOVE this movie. GO, SEE, IT.

It reminded me of Akira, for those who know their anime/manga.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1706593/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-M5Qx57_UU

« Reply #1423 on: February 05, 2012, 07:24:02 AM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Chronicle.

Saw it last night too.  We all liked it.  Fun movie.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"

« Reply #1424 on: February 05, 2012, 07:37:43 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Chronicle.

Saw it last night too.  We all liked it.  Fun movie.

Side note:  After the movie we were sitting in the theater and I overheard an obnoxious pretentious idiot say the following just loudly enough so other people could hear him give his unsolicited opinion:  "You know...  the critic in me thought the movie was good... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... One of the dumbest comments I've ever overheard.  Why would the "critic in me" have a different critical opinion than myself?  I can't say "the critic in me" has ever disagreed with my critique of a movie.  My friends were dropping that line the rest of the night... "The critic in me says this frozen yogurt is delicious... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet" ... "The critic in me thinks this beer is a little bitter... I'm just not sure how I personally feel about it yet"
TP, LB ... this is great, and I think I'll use this line on someone today.

There's few things as funny as someone who proves how ignorant they are by pretending to be intelligent, (reminds me of the Steve Martin line about "irony" - The Jerk, I think?).

Great stuff.

2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *