Author Topic: Gripe about uniforms  (Read 1921 times)

Gripe about uniforms
« on: April 07, 2021, 03:31:29 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
As an old timer, I am sick of all these alternate uniforms.....go back to wearing the white uniforms at home....even prefer the black sneakers...I understand the rationale....more apparel to sell

BTW...the worst are the yellow Red Sox uniforms

Re: Gripe about uniforms
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
As an old timer, I am sick of all these alternate uniforms.....go back to wearing the white uniforms at home....even prefer the black sneakers...I understand the rationale....more apparel to sell

I thought the yellow Sox was pretty bad but it actually is starting to grow on me. From what I understand, it's to honor Patriots Day and the Boston Marathon, so I understand the rationale. If the proceeds helps raise funds to an organization, I think it's cool.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:40:38 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Agreed on the white at home. 

Call me crazy but I actually like those Sox jerseys for Patriots Day.  As someone who grew up and almost always went to the marathon as a spectator, its ingrained in the fabric of the city.  It's literally one of the best, if not the best, day to be in the city. After what happened in '13, I really have no qualms with the Sox wearing those for a game or two.  I'm also a long distance runner so have a sweet spot for it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 04:26:17 PM »

Offline cons

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
at the pace they're going in 10 years they'll be wearing a different looking uniform every game

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Let me clarify my original gripe even further....the whites that say Celtics not Boston Celtics

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 10:47:49 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Thank You sir. You are not alone.
Nike has opened up Pandora's Box with these City Edition clown suits they have come up with. To say nothing of the other alternate uniforms.
I also hate the loss of definite home & away jerseys. And I would LOVE returning to the green/black sneakers for all Celtics all the time.

But then, I'm just an old curmudgeon purist who long ago fell in love with the Boston Celtics and all the basketball values they used to represent.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 10:58:25 PM »

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

Thank You sir. You are not alone.
Nike has opened up Pandora's Box with these City Edition clown suits they have come up with. To say nothing of the other alternate uniforms.
I also hate the loss of definite home & away jerseys. And I would LOVE returning to the green/black sneakers for all Celtics all the time.

But then, I'm just an old curmudgeon purist who long ago fell in love with the Boston Celtics and all the basketball values they used to represent.

I got scolded by my friend group for thinking the Red Sox's City Edition uniforms weren't good. Now I know why this is my community.

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
The Celtics have the best uniform in all of sports. They don't need variants or any other uniform. Go with the classic.

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 11:58:33 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
I agree that the yellow "Red" Sox uniforms are absolutely heinous. And hideous. I understand the concept, but I just think it doesn't work.

In general, I think Nike has done a poor job with pro sports uniforms—crazy uniform ideas may be fine for Oregon Ducks and Seattle Seahawks fans, but the country as a whole isn't like that.

As for the Celtics, I can live with the green-and-black (though I'm not sure I understand why just about every team has added black in the last 10-20 years), and I actually really like the city edition unis from a couple years ago that were green with yellow and white:

But I wouldn't at all mind if they went back to home white and road green and left it at that.

What really bugs me is the shoes these days—Celtics players wearing red, purple, blue, orange sneakers. Like, wear whatever brand and model you like best, and I don't need the whole team wearing the same shoe, but for Pete's sake wear shoes that are your team's colors—in this case, some combo of green, white, black, and/or yellow.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 01:36:38 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
Amen, I despise those black and green jerseys. It's all nike's fault, part of their NBA contract is that nike dictates what jerseys teams wear instead of just the home team wearing home ect.

Although I am only reasonably young, I feel like the NBA has sold what's left of their soul the last few years. Letting adidas bring in those sleeved jerseys is a stain on the history of the game and given the Warriors Cavs 3 - 1 comeback series was in those disgusting sleeved jerseys we will forever be reminded of them. Even the ad patch on the jersey was at a time when league revenue was at an all time high, I can still remember Adam Silver talking to the media about the patch coming in with his head down, like even he was disgusted with the choice as well. The NBA has become the tinker league in comparison to MLB and NFL and once you open pandoras box there's no going back. Who knows what else they have in store for the fans? Nothing good I'm sure. I feel like the biggest issue is the bloated prices paid for NBA franchises recently. Because the cost has jumped to the billions new owners want their money recouped as quick as possible, where as NFL teams are rarely ever sold and because they have been owned for decades the ownership groups aren't lumped with huge debts.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 02:10:10 AM by Ed Monix »
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 03:21:22 AM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
I wish they'd go back to something like this for St Patrick's Day and perhaps use it for the month of March

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 07:55:12 AM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Okay Mr. We'll get off your lawn.

I like the city edition jerseys. Well, to be clear - I like other teams' city edition jerseys. Ours are so boring and unimaginative, and so clearly afraid to veer too far from tradition. I wish Nike would go further.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 08:11:20 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1237

Wouldn’t it be great if they did play one game with all black sneakers with white laces? Just like old times.