Author Topic: That Rondo Thread  (Read 43094 times)

Re: Bring Rondo Back!!!
« Reply #75 on: September 08, 2015, 11:35:17 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

When I said we have the worst fans, you are the kind of person I was referring to.

And people who continually spout this nonsense aren't any better.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #76 on: September 08, 2015, 11:36:34 AM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 123
Meh..I'm not going to go digging for more youtube videos..the one I posted is enough...If that doesn't show he's assist padding then nothing else will.

Don't tell me that him passing up a guaranteed wide open layup is a good play..where there's a chance that a defender could have caught up to Rondo or Allen in that play...it's not an assist in the flow of the offense..he wanted an assist more then 2 points for his box score.he passed up literally the highest % scoring opportunity in the game and risked(although a small risk but still a risk) a turnover..that is the definition of trying to pad his assist number.

I was a huge rondo fan and still appreciate everything he did but I'm not a homer and am willing to acknowledge his negative attributes too.

Did you bother to watch the video that you posted? No one was even close. Have you every played organized ball? What do coaches tell you to do if your long range shots are not falling? try to get an easy shot. why? Because there is something about seeing the ball go in that gives you confidences for your next shot. Thats why teams to lay up drills before games- it's not because the players need more practice making lay ups.

If Rondo had the mentality that some of you seem to suggest, score first pass second I don't think we would have won a title. When you have 3 all time great scorers the best thing in the world is a pass first unselfish point guard. You guys want to paint Rondo as a selfish player on the court and that is so far from the truth. It's like saying someone is greedy because they give lots of money to charity. You guys are terrible and I wish you would be fans of some other team.

« Reply #77 on: September 08, 2015, 12:06:31 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
The idea that Rondo didn't pad his numbers is absurd. We all remember the 10-assist streak. Or at least, we should. Now, there's an argument to be had about whether or not stat padding is inherently a bad thing, but to deny that it was happening foolish, plain and simple.

Now, was Rondo the best point guard the C's have seen in the last 20 years? Sure. Does that mean that he has a place on this team in 2015? Not in the slightest.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #78 on: September 08, 2015, 12:48:58 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870

When I said we have the worst fans, you are the kind of person I was referring to.

And people who continually spout this nonsense aren't any better.

I guess I am a bad fan too because I believe Rondo is a very poor shooter for an NBA point guard (one of the worst ever that I remember) and I also feel he pounded the ball too much.  Oh, and he is bad at free throws too; is that also being a bad fan to say that?  How about saying Isaiah Thomas isn't very tall?  Marcus Smart isn't a particularly good shooter either.  Fab Melo had very slow reactions.  Where is the line between stating the obvious and being a bad fan?  Please educate me on that as I want to be a good fan. (sarcasm should be apparent)

I do hope that Rondo figures this all out (move the ball and shoot better) and is successful in Sacramento but I do not want to see Rondo back on the Celtics (there I go, being a bad fan again).  I also don't want to see Gerald Wallace back on the Celtics.

« Reply #79 on: September 08, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62

By continuing to label posters as bad or the worst fans who do not share your ideal of what a fan should be will not end well for you Hemingway.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 01:40:24 PM by GC003332 »

« Reply #80 on: September 08, 2015, 01:43:04 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
Of corse there are areas of Rondo's game that are not great, but why dwell on them? Look at that video posted above,; I see a guy who stole the ball and got an assist. Some see a a guy "stat padding." Don't get me wrong, I was disappointed that Rondo couldn't keep us elite after the big 3, but why be mad and a good player for not being great?

I know too that it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring him back now, nor would it really be feasible. My point is that he gets a lot of sh#t around the league and it would be nice if so called Celtic fans could support him. Larry Bird cound't jump out of the guy but we don't bash him for that.

Let's be honest, at the begining of last year the idea was it was a rebuilding year and winning as many games as possible was not the main point. We needed to bide our time, wait for a trade and hope for a good draft pick. Rondo's no fool, he knew that. He also knew that being the league leader in assists by a big margin could help him get a bigger contract. There is nothing wrong with either of these things. Ainge also knew all of this and made the assessment that resigning Rondo was unlikely and Crowder was being under used and under rated so he made the trade. Nothing wrong there as well. I'm not the one trashing the team or the players but I feel like I'm the one everyone is mad at(ok some not everyone.)

To me being a fan means rooting for your team to win and respecting the guys who have helped you win. What annoys me is people that call themselves fans and yet consistently root for the team to lose games and trash players who helped us win. I try to back up what I say with valid points(many of which are ignored) so its not like I'm saying, "you are a bad fan" and leaving it at that, I'm giving reasons. I'm not calling names or replying with one line instigating comments or graphics and yet I'm the one who this "is not going to end well for" what does that even mean? Are you threatening me? with what? It's the flipin' internet. grow up.

« Reply #81 on: September 08, 2015, 01:44:15 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton

By continuing to label posters as bad or the worst fans who do not share your ideal of what a fan should be will not end well for you Hemingway.

You seem to know it all, what should a good fan be?

« Reply #82 on: September 08, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

You seem to know it all, what should a good fan be?

You're the one doing the labeling so I'm guessing you'd be the one who could enlighten us all.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #83 on: September 08, 2015, 01:50:45 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
mods, it seems that this thread has - predictably - degenerated into a series of accusations on who is a good fan or bad fan.

it no longer fits with the thread's original intent. next, it is becoming acrimonious and unproductive.

any chance you mods would lock this one up?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #84 on: September 08, 2015, 01:59:42 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
mods, it seems that this thread has - predictably - degenerated into a series of accusations on who is a good fan or bad fan.

it no longer fits with the thread's original intent. next, it is becoming acrimonious and unproductive.

No one is forcing you to read it.

I thought maybe as a Boston Celtic board we could have a thread to cheer Rondo on in Sac, but I guess I am the only one who is still a rondo fan.

« Reply #85 on: September 08, 2015, 02:06:26 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
ok, lets get this tread back on track. Remember how Good Rondo was in 2009 vs the bulls. What a great series, probably the most fun to watch series I've ever seen. take a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbfGELSVJtQ

« Reply #86 on: September 08, 2015, 02:09:30 PM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
Of corse there are areas of Rondo's game that are not great, but why dwell on them? Look at that video posted above,; I see a guy who stole the ball and got an assist. Some see a a guy "stat padding." Don't get me wrong, I was disappointed that Rondo couldn't keep us elite after the big 3, but why be mad and a good player for not being great?

I know too that it doesn't make a lot of sense to bring him back now, nor would it really be feasible. My point is that he gets a lot of sh#t around the league and it would be nice if so called Celtic fans could support him. Larry Bird cound't jump out of the guy but we don't bash him for that.

Let's be honest, at the begining of last year the idea was it was a rebuilding year and winning as many games as possible was not the main point. We needed to bide our time, wait for a trade and hope for a good draft pick. Rondo's no fool, he knew that. He also knew that being the league leader in assists by a big margin could help him get a bigger contract. There is nothing wrong with either of these things. Ainge also knew all of this and made the assessment that resigning Rondo was unlikely and Crowder was being under used and under rated so he made the trade. Nothing wrong there as well. I'm not the one trashing the team or the players but I feel like I'm the one everyone is mad at(ok some not everyone.)

To me being a fan means rooting for your team to win and respecting the guys who have helped you win. What annoys me is people that call themselves fans and yet consistently root for the team to lose games and trash players who helped us win. I try to back up what I say with valid points(many of which are ignored) so its not like I'm saying, "you are a bad fan" and leaving it at that, I'm giving reasons. I'm not calling names or replying with one line instigating comments or graphics and yet I'm the one who this "is not going to end well for" what does that even mean? Are you threatening me? with what? It's the flipin' internet. grow up.
Why would I be threatening you?
That seems to be a gross overreaction
My point was meant be taken in a helpful manner, if you are going to call out each individual poster who does not agree with your stance of being a good fan you are going to have your work cut out for you, there are soo many to tackle on a case by case basis.
If that is your mission good for you, have fun doing it.
Peace

Re: Some love for Rondo!
« Reply #87 on: September 08, 2015, 02:18:14 PM »

Offline Hemingway

• Bill Walton
It seemed to me like you were saying if I didn't stop I would get in trouble or whatever you meant by "this won't end well for you." Typically a threat is when one person says if you do or don't do something than something will or will not happen to you. You kind of insinuated to this. "this won't end well for you" is a common threatening phrase. Sorry if it was meant to be helpful.

« Reply #88 on: September 08, 2015, 02:20:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja

No one is forcing you to read it.

I thought maybe as a Boston Celtic board we could have a thread to cheer Rondo on in Sac, but I guess I am the only one who is still a rondo fan.
mods, is further proof necessary at this point?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

Re: Some love for Rondo!
« Reply #89 on: September 08, 2015, 02:29:46 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I really think Jeff Green is poised for a breakout year this season and should be considered a top 5 SF.