Author Topic: Movies that looked good... but were awful  (Read 17533 times)

Re: Movies that looked good... but were awful
« Reply #45 on: September 20, 2008, 09:24:42 AM »

Offline moskqq

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 13
I often wondered why outlandish clothes were ever made and for whom.  Yet the fact that they sell to a select group convinces me that "different strokes for different folks" was an aptly coined phrase. So too, it seems, is the varied "taste" for movies!

In reading about "overlooked but surprisingly good movies" and today's topic of "disappointing (to terrible) movies" and the controversy about ones man's affection and another man's hatred for the same movie, it's apparent that no real consensus will ever be reached.

While Nicole Kidman was lauded for her acting in the movie "To Die For" (Nicole was cast as a celebrity-seeking T.V. weather announcer desiring celebrity status so she seduces a high school boy to kill her dead-end husband), I thought the movie was atrocious despite the advertising hype....but then again....

« Reply #46 on: September 20, 2008, 09:58:37 AM »

Offline Brickowski

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 423
I think consensus can be reached about certain movies.  IMHO 10,000 B.C. is the hands-down winner in the "looked good but were awful" category.  There is no close second.

« Reply #47 on: September 20, 2008, 10:19:33 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
I think consensus can be reached about certain movies.  IMHO 10,000 B.C. is the hands-down winner in the "looked good but were awful" category.  There is no close second.

TP, I was looking forward to this pile of trash and left half-way through never to mention it again.

« Reply #48 on: September 21, 2008, 05:23:23 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Same, the ones you mentioned as well as Crash, Wedding Crashers, The Departed and American Wedding are fantastic.

Me thinks you have wrong dude.  I enjoyed The Departed and Wedding Crashers, have never seen Crash (unless you are talking about the crazy David Cronenberg one), and I thought American Wedding was pretty blah (way too much Stiffler.  Some of his dialogue is ridiculously bad).

« Reply #49 on: September 21, 2008, 10:34:11 AM »

Offline Celtsfan33/34

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 1

Actually, that alien movie with John Travolta beats 10,000 BC by a landslide.  Was it Battlefield Earth or something like that??

« Reply #50 on: September 21, 2008, 11:27:04 AM »

Offline petula

• Author
  • Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 30

Bottle Shock

« Reply #51 on: September 21, 2008, 02:32:28 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I don't know, I thought it looked horrible from the first time I heard about it.  I couldn't imagine it would have any semblance of a plot.

« Reply #52 on: September 21, 2008, 02:46:19 PM »

Offline BadBoyBosh

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • drink it in baby
We Own the Night fits in here.  Absolutely sucked.

« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
The Graduate. he was just a loser

Event Horizon ...that was sooooo bad