Author Topic: Theis better than Horford?  (Read 5841 times)

Re: Theis better than Horford?
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2020, 02:48:59 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
Here is how I see it.  Horford is better than Theis, even at his age, but Horford also was a centerpiece of the offense.  The offense more or less went through him, and other had to adjust around him.  Problem is the others can get their own shot and are better with the ball in their hands.  Looking back at last year, way too many mouths to feed, way too many guys that needed the ball.

So in this particular case, Theis might be better because he doesn't need the ball at all and can still do the dirty work.

That's how I see it too.

Although, I don't think Horford could ever be the centerpiece of our offense again. He's not able to get his shot off like he used to, and I would think a year of being relegated as a spot up shooter limited his post play-ability. While he's still a great player, certainly of the best fantastic Jack of Trades kind of guy, I don't think he's quite the leader we made him out to be.

Theis does all the dirty work and has a great chemistry, plus being paid only $5.5 million. Plus like you said, doesn't need the ball in his hands.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2020, 02:56:05 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Ok, I get it. Philly should have passed on Horford and traded Harris to the Celtics for Theis and $25M worth of filler.

Theis is a monstah. The more minutes you give? The more he scores, it's a miracle.

Theis was actually starting to get a minute amount of "referee respect" or, "German league star treatment" underneath.

Horford has been very sore for the last two years or so. Thirteen years playing in the NBA frontcourt is going to slow anyone down.

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
Bottom line for me is that, salaries aside, I would trade Theis for Horford right now.  I believe AH could adjust to not running the offense this time around, and simply give the game what it needs.  He is a much better passer than Theis and a better shooter which helps open up the middle for our wings/drivers.  He also has 30 lbs on Theis (listed as 245 vs 215 for DT) which means he can hold his position on big centers much better.

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2020, 08:44:53 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
Bottom line for me is that, salaries aside, I would trade Theis for Horford right now.  I believe AH could adjust to not running the offense this time around, and simply give the game what it needs.  He is a much better passer than Theis and a better shooter which helps open up the middle for our wings/drivers.  He also has 30 lbs on Theis (listed as 245 vs 215 for DT) which means he can hold his position on big centers much better.

I appreciate this post, but I am not sure you can wave away salaries when they're so disproportionate in this discussion - you wouldn't be able to do a 1:1 swap and keep the team as constructed together because of the salary cap.

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2020, 10:04:06 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

We have had more problems guarding the perimeter than big centers. Which is why given Al's decline, Theis is better.

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2020, 10:44:51 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

In the Celtics system, I think Horford would be better. In the Sixer system, I think Horford would be better.

I think I'd rather have Theis on his contract than Horford on his, but Horford is the guy I'd pick first in a pickup game.

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2020, 04:06:27 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I appreciate this post, but I am not sure you can wave away salaries when they're so disproportionate in this discussion - you wouldn't be able to do a 1:1 swap and keep the team as constructed together because of the salary cap.
I'm just answering the OP question.  In my world, I've ignored salaries to do that.  If you don't want to avoid salaries, then what is your answer?  I assume it's Theis.