Author Topic: Does a cancelled season assure a Hayward return? Apparently yes. Page 3.  (Read 8596 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
If the season is cancelled, the Basketball Related Income for this season will take a massive hit. Depending on how everything is handled(meaning no smoothing of cap numbers) the salary cap could not just be lower than projections, but lower than in 2019-20.

That means for free agents, or players with opt outs that can become free agents, their new max salaries and contracts in general could be much lower in 2020-21 as compared to 2021-22. So for these players with opt out clauses, maybe it makes more sense to take the payday next year and opt out in 2021 where more teams will have money and the salaries will be much higher after a full 2020-21 season.

So given all this, does it make it a no brainer for Hayward to not opt out, play next year in Boston and become a free agent in 2021? I think it does. I think it just about guarantees Hayward is back next year, which I think is a good thing.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 10:10:52 AM by nickagneta »

Re: Does a cancelled season assure a Hayward return?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2020, 03:48:40 PM »

Offline ConnerHenry

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 59
Based on his inability to stay healthy and erratic on-court performance, I would be very surprised if he opts out. Discounting personal reasons (wanting to play in a specific town, etc)

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2020, 04:09:28 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If the season is cancelled, the Basketball Related Income for this season will take a massive hit. Depending on how everything is handled(meaning no smoothing of cap numbers) the salary cap could not just be lower than projections, but lower than in 2019-20.

That means for free agents, or players with opt outs that can become free agents, their new max salaries and contracts in general could be much lower in 2020-21 as compared to 2021-22. So for these players with opt out clauses, maybe it makes more sense to take the payday next year and opt out in 2021 where more teams will have money and the salaries will be much higher after a full 2020-21 season.

So given all this, does it make it a no brainer for Hayward to not opt out, play next year in Boston and become a free agent in 2021? I think it does. I think it just about guarantees Hayward is back next year, which I think is a good thing.

Hayward is going to think of this year as a huge what if?

Considering the fact the NBA got shut down, and his commitment to Stevens, I would assume he would at least opt in. And then explore extension talks down the line if all goes well.

Either way, naysayers will say Hayward wasn't that good this year despite his advanced stats proving how useful he was.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2020, 04:12:22 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Always felt he would opt in.  Feel no differently now.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2020, 04:28:26 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Hope he comes back.

#unfinishedbusiness

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2020, 04:42:15 PM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 998
Man, Hayward sat out his entire first year of the contract. And then played horribly in his second year. And now he only gets to play 2/3 of the season in his third year.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2020, 04:46:03 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3177
Always felt he would opt in.  Feel no differently now.

He'll opt in unless he gets another long term contract or sixers want to sign another bench player.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2020, 04:47:44 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
It'll be pretty awful for the Cs if he does. They needed to stay under the luxury tax next season in order to re-start the clock. With the salary cap sure to take a hit, there will really be no way for that to happen if Hayward opts in. Let's just hope the Cs can work out a deal with him and they still manage to get under the cap.

Hopefully there will be some exception in place due to these unforeseen circumstances. I know people don't care how much money the owners spend, but the repeater tax is quite constraining to teams. It'd be a shame if we managed to get this far, but then Hayward just opted in to his big fat contract.

Note: I really do want Hayward to stick around.

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2020, 04:56:33 PM »

Offline NKY fan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 106
It'll be pretty awful for the Cs if he does. They needed to stay under the luxury tax next season in order to re-start the clock. With the salary cap sure to take a hit, there will really be no way for that to happen if Hayward opts in. Let's just hope the Cs can work out a deal with him and they still manage to get under the cap.

Hopefully there will be some exception in place due to these unforeseen circumstances. I know people don't care how much money the owners spend, but the repeater tax is quite constraining to teams. It'd be a shame if we managed to get this far, but then Hayward just opted in to his big fat contract.

I’m not sure why are you so concerned about owners money and budget . If Danny’s plan materializes we should be perannual contenders and they have to pay to play ... if they don’t then we should reconsider whether the owners really are committed to winning.
Given that we made deep runs in the playoffs the last 4-5 years while deploying some of the lowest payroll in the league tells me they made a lot of profits ... maybe use some of those profits to cover the repeated tax penalties in the next few years 🤷🏻‍♂️ ..

I’m sick of all the planning for 2 years down the road

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2020, 05:03:01 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
oh he's definitely opting in now.

« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2020, 06:07:53 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Yeah, at this point, he is def opting in.  No brainer for him.  Good for us too.
Even though our big development year for Tatum and Brown got cut short, we are going to be good next year.  I am excited.

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2020, 06:17:02 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
On another note, it could be a good time to opt out of Theis and sign him to a 2-3 year deal at the same type of money.

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2020, 06:17:58 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
Kanter likely to opt in as well

« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
Happy to see Hayward come back and hopefully get a decent extension perhaps as well.

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2020, 07:39:31 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

My guess is that there will be some mitigation on the tax next year.  Revenues could be so low as to bump the majority of the league into the tax.  Wouldn’t surprise me if they suspended it for a season.