Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20340 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2020, 07:04:34 PM »

Online BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 941
From the information I'm hearing, not only will this season be cancelled, next season will be affected in some way too.

I agree, we probably get a shortened season that begins in 2021 if at all. Until there is a vaccine distributed, there will most likely be no sports.

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2020, 07:28:31 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522
I think there was a report (in a different thread) a couple of days ago indicating that there is consensus among owners and others that they intend to crown a champion even if it means playoffs in the fall and a late start to next season.   

But who knows? -- one thing I am learning quickly these days is that things I am thinking today aren't necessarily things I'll be thinking tomorrow -- never mind months from now. 

« Reply #47 on: March 20, 2020, 08:19:12 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
From the information I'm hearing, not only will this season be cancelled, next season will be affected in some way too.

I agree, we probably get a shortened season that begins in 2021 if at all. Until there is a vaccine distributed, there will most likely be no sports.

kinda my thinking. 

« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2020, 08:27:00 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!

The first thing is finding out what happens with baseball. If baseball resumes at some point (like in July), then I see no reason why the NBA should be delayed by that long. I mean, the season usually starts late October anyways. So what, a 2-3 week delay to start it around Thanksgiving? That's not too bad. Good marketing tactic too haha

Same with football, which is ironic because they passed a recent move to hold 17-game seasons, but next season might already have a reduced number of games  :P
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2020, 11:31:38 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
some experts are stating that the virus will slow down once beginning of summer rolls around

The virus can't travel airborne like it can when the weather is colder and dry

Given that the virus has infected every single nation between the northern & southern tropics with exception of the Saharan nations, I would be hesitant to put a lot of stock in that notion.

Most Californians hate the 100-120-degree Fahrenheit heat during the summer, but maybe this summer could be an exception.
100 degrees rare in most of CA, never mind 120.
Yeah, 120 is scorching! That's Death Valley stuff

Summer of 2018 was deadly hot in July, 118 degrees at one point. Last summer wasn't that exceedingly hot, but still low 100s. But 100 degrees is pretty common...in Southern California in July - September.

In the winter, it does get kind of cold but Californians don't know what true cold is unlike my fellow brethren in the Eastern states.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2020, 12:25:48 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

kinda my thinking.
Adding to the chorus.

« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2020, 05:06:52 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I think the regular season is toast. I'm hoping against hope that the playoffs could happen in May or June.

I'm not terribly optimistic.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
My gut (and some info I saw on ESPN) says that there will be a conclusion to this season.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28931467/nba-braces-delayed-20-draft-reduced-pre-draft-process

Finishing out this NBA season could mean playing the NBA Finals late into the summer, well past June 25, the scheduled date of the draft. Proceeding without a normal pre-draft process -- an outcome that is looking like a possibility because of time and travel concerns, according to sources -- would require all parties to reset expectations about how to approach the draft. For instance, players would likely find it more difficult to directly affect their draft standing without the usual workouts, interviews, combine and other elements of the process.

I read that it may be sometime right after the draft at the end of June.

This is an article from Johnathan Givony and seems credible but it's not from Mr. Silver. It does seem like a possible end to the season, though.

I guess that this scenario "would" in fact affect the start of the 20-21 season...probably shorten it?

The feel I got from the article is that this season would NOT be lost - even if it's just the playoffs.

I know a LOT of this is dependent upon how we handle Covid-19. I'm hoping for the best for this country in that regard.

« Reply #53 on: March 21, 2020, 06:43:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I think the regular season is toast. I'm hoping against hope that the playoffs could happen in May or June.

I'm not terribly optimistic.

that seems to be right for now , reg season isn't happening ,   maybe a playoff series during the summer .  Just wonder tho what quality of ball we d see after a lay off of that long .  Since they are not practicing as teams ...and basketball has been on the back burner .  With so many people sick .  The excitement maybe be low for these guys too.

« Reply #54 on: March 21, 2020, 07:42:36 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I miss the NBA as much as anyone, sitting down and being able to watch a game on a weeknight after a long day of work was one of my favorite parts of the week. That being said, I really am having a hard time envisioning a scenario where basketball season would be finished. Some states have been really stubborn (including massachusetts) and still have not shut down. That means this is still getting worse in large parts of the country. I would be really shocked if this shutdown does not last through May in at least large parts of the country. Then at that point you are talking about 10 weeks these guys haven't played together, haven't had access to most facilities. Normally we give them a full training camp and preseason after that long a layoff. Now we are going to have them decide the NBA championship with none of that? Also, unfortunately stuff is going to get worse rather than better over the next months both in terms of the sickness and disease spread. At a certain point it probably becomes pretty poor taste for Silver to even be discussing it. If there was someone in Italy right now debating when the soccer team would be back they would kind of look like a jerk.

« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2020, 08:13:02 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 996
I think they should just end the season, crown no winners for 2020. Beneficial for the Celtics, as I fear the Lakers would have won it all this season the way they've been playing. Now that LeBron is getting old (and rust from playing), wonder how would they do next season.

Fortunately for the Celtics, the guys are young and gunning. But Tatum and Brown will have to keep improving. Start the next season sometime in the winter.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
There's still 2.5 months until early June, so while there's still a slight chance, I just can't envision any scenario where they are able to play regular season games before playoffs. And most of these players will have missed 8+ weeks and not practiced with each other because facilities are all closed down too. I actually think you're risking guys getting seriously hurt even if you resume for a shortened postseason. Still think the chances of the season resuming is a very slim <1%.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2020, 11:32:48 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
I miss the NBA as much as anyone, sitting down and being able to watch a game on a weeknight after a long day of work was one of my favorite parts of the week. That being said, I really am having a hard time envisioning a scenario where basketball season would be finished. Some states have been really stubborn (including massachusetts) and still have not shut down. That means this is still getting worse in large parts of the country. I would be really shocked if this shutdown does not last through May in at least large parts of the country. Then at that point you are talking about 10 weeks these guys haven't played together, haven't had access to most facilities. Normally we give them a full training camp and preseason after that long a layoff. Now we are going to have them decide the NBA championship with none of that? Also, unfortunately stuff is going to get worse rather than better over the next months both in terms of the sickness and disease spread. At a certain point it probably becomes pretty poor taste for Silver to even be discussing it. If there was someone in Italy right now debating when the soccer team would be back they would kind of look like a jerk.

agree with everything you said .   I m wondering after the death toll is maxed out , if people will really have energy , money , and intrest in having a return to a basketball season.  Restarting everybodies , lifes , jobs , dealing with family deaths,  getting back to school , getting caught up on bills ,  meeting responsibilities,  finding new work ....on and on..... it will not just stop without a vaccine.  People will continue to get  this virus maybe for  many months until a vaccine is available.   I kinda wonder ....how mass groups will gather or would want to without a vaccine available .  I doubt i will go out into a concert or indoor event with elbow room only before a vaccine has arrived .  Unless the NBA players get together and play without fans , its just hard to imagine stuff like NBA happening

i mean until i get a vaccine....who wants to go out to a NBA game or anything else , get sick , and maybe die .....all,for,watching a sports event .  I won't risk it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 11:46:35 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2020, 03:44:52 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2522

agree with everything you said .   I m wondering after the death toll is maxed out , if people will really have energy , money , and intrest in having a return to a basketball season.  Restarting everybodies , lifes , jobs , dealing with family deaths,  getting back to school , getting caught up on bills ,  meeting responsibilities,  finding new work ....on and on..... it will not just stop without a vaccine.  People will continue to get  this virus maybe for  many months until a vaccine is available.   I kinda wonder ....how mass groups will gather or would want to without a vaccine available .  I doubt i will go out into a concert or indoor event with elbow room only before a vaccine has arrived .  Unless the NBA players get together and play without fans , its just hard to imagine stuff like NBA happening

i mean until i get a vaccine....who wants to go out to a NBA game or anything else , get sick , and maybe die .....all,for,watching a sports event .  I won't risk it.

I’ve been home for less than a week.  In that time I’d say almost each day comes with new revelations.  Some days have seen pretty altering ideas and changes to ways of thinking and ways of going about life.  I am now thinking that to try to imagine or envision life 2 or 3 months from now is futile.  If the virus were to miraculously subside tomorrow I think we’d view these past couple weeks as a blip on the screen of our lives - a meaningful jolt to our collective system — but for the most part I think we’d swiftly return to our old normal.  But the longer this lasts, the more our new lives become our lives.  And I think we may be experiencing something not just inconvenient but historic in terms of change in direction of the evolution of culture.  Just in the past couple of days connection to people within our blog community who are being touched directly  by the virus is starting and growing. I can only imagine what it will be like 2 weeks from now when numbers of cases are in hundreds of thousands.

NBA people are still trying to consider how getting back to “normal” will happen; how the basketball season will somehow resume, come to fruition and then off-season will occur with its draft, free agency, etc. - altered and shaken, but intact.   However, I think it’s possible in a few weeks that completing the 2019-20 NBA season will seem irrelevant and nonsensical. We might just want to symbolically put an end to 2019-20, put it to rest and mark it appropriately as a season lost to a catastrophic event in world history. 

Sorry for the darkness, but I think that culture as forged in the weeks ahead will be driven by circumstances that are either hard to predict or hard to fathom.

« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2020, 04:21:35 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
I still think they will resume somehow, even if it means a tournament in August-Sept and a delayed start for next season. Too much money involved.