Will the 2019-2020 season resume?

Yes. Some Regular Season Games To Finish, Then Postseason
18 (18.4%)
Yes. With Postseason Beginning Right Away
22 (22.4%)
No. It's Going To Be Cancelled
58 (59.2%)

Total Members Voted: 98

Author Topic: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?  (Read 20224 times)

Re: Poll: Do You Think This Season Resumes?
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »

Offline bopna

• NGT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 136
Too much money too lose if they cancel the entire season altogether.

They will continue with the sason I believe.

Evenif the season ends in July, they can start the season early Nov anyways.

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 07:23:08 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!

I highly doubt even if they resume, that it'll happen before May. Do they have enough time for a postseason, then summer league, NBA Draft, FA, etc?
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 07:25:10 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I already miss my celtics games, but I really think the season is done.  I hope I am wrong.

Hopefully the draft / summer league / pre-season will be ok.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 07:47:43 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I personally think it’s done, but I suspect Silver will push as hard as he can to get a playoffs done. Even without fans, people will be so starved of basketball (no NCAA either) that I imagine viewership numbers would be astronomical
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2020, 08:30:20 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!
Woj on Twitter:

CDC recommendation of no events of 50-plus people for next two months comes as a number of NBA owners and executives increasingly believe a best case scenario is a mid-to-late June return to play -- with no fans. League's scouting for possible arena dates all the way thru August.

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2020, 08:47:53 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I personally think it’s done, but I suspect Silver will push as hard as he can to get a playoffs done. Even without fans, people will be so starved of basketball (no NCAA either) that I imagine viewership numbers would be astronomical

The US has too much to lose economy wise. They(or somebody) will come up with a topnotch testing kit and vaccine sooner than later

-I predict the regular season is over and they will just jump to the playoffs come June or July
-Olympic team will consist of players from eliminated teams

-period for Free Agency and draft will be condensed (no workouts)

-SL will be cancelled

-condensed or cancelled preseason

- hopefully next season starts on schedule unless NBA plans to try starting the season in December (experiment)

« Last Edit: March 15, 2020, 09:35:40 PM by Tr1boy »

« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2020, 09:12:29 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • On To Banner 18!

The US has too much to lose economy wise. They(or somebody) will come up with a topnotch testing kit and vaccine sooner than later

-I predict the regular season is over and they will just jump to the playoffs come June or July is my prediction

-SL will be cancelled

- hopefully next season starts on schedule unless NBA plans to try starting the season in December (experiment)

I'm just not seeing it. In theory, it sounds great, but that's a lot of adjusting. Plus, you'll have teams that haven't played in 3 months all of a sudden thrust into the playoffs. Remember, they can't even practice with each other right now. Also, quite a few arenas have already booked different events like concerts, which is what Woj implies when he says teams are exploring arena dates in August.

« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

-I predict the regular season is over and they will just jump to the playoffs come June or July is my prediction

-SL will be cancelled

I'm just not seeing it. In theory, it sounds great, but that's a lot of adjusting. Plus, you'll have teams that haven't played in 3 months all of a sudden thrust into the playoffs. Remember, they can't even practice with each other right now. Also, quite a few arenas have already booked different events like concerts, which is what Woj implies when he says teams are exploring arena dates in August.
if the playoffs are played in neutral cities / arenas, then there is no home court advantage

« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2020, 09:40:31 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

-SL will be cancelled

Players have been told to stay in shape until they say the season is over
Not ideal to jump into playoffs after a month or two layoff.  But there is lots of money at stake

« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2020, 09:46:39 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

there are many cities and states banning any events greater than 50 people together. This is a logistical nightmare to figure out how to proceed if they do.

Players+coaches+refs+medical personnel + cameramen + production team

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2020, 09:47:23 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
if the virus winds up spinning out of control and 50 % of Americans get sick then you can kiss all that good bye . 

its a long shot ..If per chance the % of sick people is very low in 4-6 weeks , maybe a champion could be crowned in August , with everything going Silvers way.

lets all stay healthy, wash you hands and see what happens.

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2020, 11:11:59 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/28908729/sources-owners-execs-bracing-mid-late-june-best-case-scenario-nba-return

Against the backdrop of a global pandemic, NBA owners and executives are bracing for the possibility of mid-to-late June as a best-case scenario for the league's return, sources told ESPN on Sunday.

Fears exist of a season completely lost, especially based on what some experts see as the slow response of the United States to flatten the curve of the coronavirus and make testing available on a widespread basis. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention issued a recommendation on Sunday night that no events or gatherings should include more than 50 people for the next eight weeks.

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2020, 11:29:43 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It sounds like traditional playoffs are not going to happen this season, even if delayed. At best, they may manage to scrap together a shortened playoff format in a single arena with no fans.

I think they will try to have some sort of playoffs though if at all possible, as the loss of revenue is causing massive panic to owners.

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2020, 12:05:52 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
There’s no way the season resumes.  Starting on time with full arenas in October is the best-case scenario.  I’m expecting next year to have an abbreviated offseason, something like the lockout year, that lasts a couple of weeks before the season starts.  The draft might be held after free agency opens this time around, since they won’t have  had an opportunity to workout players until late summer at best.

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2020, 09:17:44 AM »

Offline petbrick

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 33
There’s no way the season resumes.  Starting on time with full arenas in October is the best-case scenario.  I’m expecting next year to have an abbreviated offseason, something like the lockout year, that lasts a couple of weeks before the season starts.  The draft might be held after free agency opens this time around, since they won’t have  had an opportunity to workout players until late summer at best.

I think you're right, but I wouldn't be so sure about an October start, since most of the disease experts are of the belief that cases will drop over the summer and pick back up in the fall & winter (ala the flu), and they're also saying a widely-available vaccine won't be available by then.