Author Topic: Something to keep in mind if the NBA doesn't resume this year  (Read 4398 times)

Re: Something to keep in mind if the NBA doesn't resume this year
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2020, 07:46:51 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
wonder how the players will feel about a play off series in August -sept ....so they are out of practice and rhythm as teams , then start up a new 80 plus game season grind in a couple months .    :o
I don't see it happening.  Arenas have other commitments such as concert tours, wrestling, etc.

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2020, 10:52:35 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
wonder how the players will feel about a play off series in August -sept ....so they are out of practice and rhythm as teams , then start up a new 80 plus game season grind in a couple months .    :o
I don't see it happening.  Arenas have other commitments such as concert tours, wrestling, etc.

me either , alot of planning goes into a yearly schedule.  There is a huge amount people in various segments and industries that have to come together .  To put this together in a few weeks , with all the other worldly distractions and daily ones seems impossible to me and frankly not critical. And then , turn arund and have to plan the up comming season as well , that just seems like an over whelming tasking of predicting the future and planning for it all at once.   IMO ...NBA will be fortunate to right the ship and begin a new fresh season in the fall of 2020 .  Trying to squeeze the season with all the serious disruption in our lives seems quite unimportant in the grand scheme of things .  Ball sports can return in a better time when people lives are more settled .

« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2020, 12:02:19 PM »

Offline obnoxiousmime

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 258
I wouldn't focus on the deadline. The significant moves were made in the offseason by both LA teams. Part of the reason the Lakers gave up so much for Davis despite knowing they could sign him a year later for free is because LeBron is getting older. The Clippers gave up a lot for George and Kawhi didn't even end up signing for that long of a contract. It's possible that they only have him for two years, which means losing one chance at a title is a huge blow.

Third, this obviously hurts the Bucks because they were the team with the best record and looked like they were going to at least make the Finals. If Giannis doesn't sign an extension and starts the countdown for his departure, then it would REALLY hurt them to have missed this opportunity.

« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2020, 12:29:35 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
I think this year's postseason would have provided clarity for a lot of teams as to how they want to go forward long term. For example, would a cancellation mean Giannis stays with the Bucks? Because if MIL happened to have an early playoff exit, then maybe Giannis wants to go elsewhere. Likewise, what do the Sixers do? Keep it rolling with Embiid and Simmons, or trade 1?

If the season does officially get cancelled, there'll be a lot of discussions and difficult long term thinking going on in front offices.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller