Author Topic: Brad Stevens forget how to close?  (Read 9642 times)

Re: Brad Stevens forget how to close?
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2020, 03:40:27 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862
I think there are coaches out there that can do better than Stevens. Hes great for a team with no expectations and no big stars, but when he had stars and the expectations are there, he doesnt rise to the occasion. I just dont see a killer instinct. I see a good teacher who doesn't take winning as the ultimate goal. His ultimate goal is did we compete. To win a title you need to step on teams when you have them down...we always let them off the mat. He doesnt know how to deliver the knockout blow...he'd rather keep substituting.

Has anyone noticed since the Rockets beat us teams are playing big lineups against them and the Rockets are paying the price for small ball. What did the Celtics do...we played small ball too. SMH

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I've been keeping an eye on the Rockets since we've played them and teams are just going big on them and pounding them inside. What did Stevens do? He went super small and played right into their hands. The Rockets have lost 4 in a row and have not looked good, but against the Celtics they had an absolute field day.

GreenRunsDeep nailed it. Stevens is a good teacher but he does not go all out to win. Who would we replace Stevens with? How about a coach who simply wants to win above all else? Isn't that why we're watching these games? I'm not watching 82 games so that Stevens can play 11 guys and tinker with lineups from game to game. It is ridiculous.

Which coach out there do you propose?

The Raptors fired Dwayne Casey after he led them to the playoffs however many years in a row and went with Nick Nurse who immediately led them to a title. Dwyane Casey is not a bad coach, neither is Brad Stevens. Sometimes you just have to shake things up if you see it's not working. The Raptors play HARD every single game. They've only had like 1 or 2 bad losses all year. Nick Nurse plays his guys bigger minutes because they are trying to win at all costs. I'm so tired of this notion that playing a guy 38 minutes every 2 days will cause injuries. Brad Stevens doesn't play anyone on this roster big minutes and yet this is one of the more injury riddled teams in the entire NBA year after year. To answer the question i'm not sure who the new coach would be but i just want a coach who wants to win. Brad Stevens is not it.

So ... if we fire Brad ... that means we will (a) sign a Kawhi-level superstar and (b) get lucky as our opponents in the playoffs crumble under the weight of injuries?

Sounds like a plan!

I've watched Kawhi a lot this year and he does not look like the player i saw last year in a Raptors uniform. Maybe his injury is getting the best of him or maybe Nurse is that good of a coach? The Raptors right now even without Kawhi look like a well oiled machine. He's clearly an outstanding coach who is somehow able to get his players to play hard every single night. The same cannot be said of Stevens.

Kawhi was a god last year Raptors the stuff of legends we'll see in the playoffs if he steps up I think he will

I just don't know if the Clippers supporting cast is better then Toronto's I don't think it is.

Brad Stevens had one year with Isiah Thomas and a rundown eastern Conference everyone thought he was the man but really he isn't.

Nick Nurse is a genius everything that is not supposed to work in the NBA box and 1 different zones man to man out of bounds plays pick and pops pick and rolls he has made his players perfect all of them and they won a championship last year because of it.

Pretty sure that (a) Kawhi being a god and (b) a huge amount of luck (A clutch shot bouncing in against the Sixers and a ridiculous ton of injuries for the Warriors) were pretty big contributors to the championship as well.

Nurse is a good coach.  But let's be careful not to oversell here.   If that shot doesn't bounce in or if the Warriors don't lose Durant, Klay, et al, then the 'genius' narrative is probably quite different.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I think there are coaches out there that can do better than Stevens. Hes great for a team with no expectations and no big stars, but when he had stars and the expectations are there, he doesnt rise to the occasion. I just dont see a killer instinct. I see a good teacher who doesn't take winning as the ultimate goal. His ultimate goal is did we compete. To win a title you need to step on teams when you have them down...we always let them off the mat. He doesnt know how to deliver the knockout blow...he'd rather keep substituting.

Has anyone noticed since the Rockets beat us teams are playing big lineups against them and the Rockets are paying the price for small ball. What did the Celtics do...we played small ball too. SMH

I agree with pretty much everything said here. I've been keeping an eye on the Rockets since we've played them and teams are just going big on them and pounding them inside. What did Stevens do? He went super small and played right into their hands. The Rockets have lost 4 in a row and have not looked good, but against the Celtics they had an absolute field day.

GreenRunsDeep nailed it. Stevens is a good teacher but he does not go all out to win. Who would we replace Stevens with? How about a coach who simply wants to win above all else? Isn't that why we're watching these games? I'm not watching 82 games so that Stevens can play 11 guys and tinker with lineups from game to game. It is ridiculous.

The Raptors fired Dwayne Casey after he led them to the playoffs however many years in a row and went with Nick Nurse who immediately led them to a title. Dwyane Casey is not a bad coach, neither is Brad Stevens. Sometimes you just have to shake things up if you see it's not working. The Raptors play HARD every single game. They've only had like 1 or 2 bad losses all year. Nick Nurse plays his guys bigger minutes because they are trying to win at all costs. I'm so tired of this notion that playing a guy 38 minutes every 2 days will cause injuries. Brad Stevens doesn't play anyone on this roster big minutes and yet this is one of the more injury riddled teams in the entire NBA year after year. To answer the question i'm not sure who the new coach would be but i just want a coach who wants to win. Brad Stevens is not it.

So ... if we fire Brad ... that means we will (a) sign a Kawhi-level superstar and (b) get lucky as our opponents in the playoffs crumble under the weight of injuries?

Sounds like a plan!

I've watched Kawhi a lot this year and he does not look like the player i saw last year in a Raptors uniform. Maybe his injury is getting the best of him or maybe Nurse is that good of a coach? The Raptors right now even without Kawhi look like a well oiled machine. He's clearly an outstanding coach who is somehow able to get his players to play hard every single night. The same cannot be said of Stevens.

Kawhi was a god last year Raptors the stuff of legends we'll see in the playoffs if he steps up I think he will

I just don't know if the Clippers supporting cast is better then Toronto's I don't think it is.

Brad Stevens had one year with Isiah Thomas and a rundown eastern Conference everyone thought he was the man but really he isn't.

Nick Nurse is a genius everything that is not supposed to work in the NBA box and 1 different zones man to man out of bounds plays pick and pops pick and rolls he has made his players perfect all of them and they won a championship last year because of it.

Pretty sure that (a) Kawhi being a god and (b) a huge amount of luck (A clutch shot bouncing in against the Sixers and a ridiculous ton of injuries for the Warriors) were pretty big contributors to the championship as well.

Nurse is a good coach.  But let's be careful not to oversell here.   If that shot doesn't bounce in or if the Warriors don't lose Durant, Klay, et al, then the 'genius' narrative is probably quite different.

Yeah I don't get how people are giving Nurse some much credit, but forgetting that Warriors lost Klay Thompson, and KD, (who was scorching them in game 5.)
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2020, 04:09:56 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

Sounds like a plan!

History is written by the victors, as they say.  :angel:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2020, 05:00:55 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

Sounds like a plan!

History is written by the victors, as they say.  :angel:

You could make that argument at the end of last year pretty easily. Not now.

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2020, 05:22:57 PM »

Offline Briantir

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 14

Sounds like a plan!

That's ridiculous the Warriors faced a plethora of injured teams on their way to 5 straight finals

LeBron lost in 2015 with Kyrie and Love out... Injuries are part of the game luck has nothing to do with that.

The fact that Toronto lost its BEST player and one of top 3 players in the world and still have the 3rd best record in the league is a big accomplishment and it starts with the head office and coaching staff

« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2020, 07:59:31 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

Sounds like a plan!

That's ridiculous the Warriors faced a plethora of injured teams on their way to 5 straight finals

LeBron lost in 2015 with Kyrie and Love out... Injuries are part of the game luck has nothing to do with that.

The fact that Toronto lost its BEST player and one of top 3 players in the world and still have the 3rd best record in the league is a big accomplishment and it starts with the head office and coaching staff

Yes, the Warriors themselves have benefited from injuries to their opponents as well in their title-winning years.  Winning a title takes being good and a ton of luck.

The Raptors, similar to the Bucks, have built this year's record by pummeling sub-.500 teams.  They are 35-4 against teams with a losing record and only 11-14 against teams with a .500 or better record.

Even with the stumbles of the last 5 games, which includes 2 losses by 1 point each to winning teams, the Celtics have a 14-11 record against winning teams.

And the Celtics have played the majority of their games this year while missing one or more of their top 4 players from THIS year's roster.   They have had all 4 of Kemba, Jaylen, Gordon & Tatum available in just 19 of 63 games this year.   The last 5 games have feature 5 different starting lineups!

TOR lost Kawhi in the offseason.  They have otherwise been relatively healthy this year with the players that are on THIS year's roster.  So I'm sorry, but I'm simply not really all that in awe of what Toronto has done.
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2020, 02:53:33 AM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372
The players may not believe in the system anymore. There has to start being some accountability for poor play. They aren't playing like they could lose something...players are too comfortable with their minutes.

Sign IT, bench Wanamaker
Move Hayward to bench
Call up Tacko permanently
Play bigger lineups
Stop letting the wrong players take too many shots.

Walker
Brown
Tatum
Theis
RWill

IT
Smart
Hayward
Williams
Kantor

Here's what NBC Sports Boston had to say about your suggestion.

Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2020, 03:31:20 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Stevens showing weaknesses as a coach, more and more...

« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2020, 08:41:50 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I mean again last night the issue has been in large part Kemba, he's trying to close the game and hasn't gotten it done since his return.

The two turnovers he had in foul situations and then last night he just couldn't buy a bucket or a good possession when the team clearly was just trying to get him a shot to close out the game. I was mad in the moment, but I think the team trusts Kemba and wants to get him going. (he's closed lots of games in the 4th after rough starts this year)

« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2020, 09:10:25 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I mean again last night the issue has been in large part Kemba, he's trying to close the game and hasn't gotten it done since his return.

The two turnovers he had in foul situations and then last night he just couldn't buy a bucket or a good possession when the team clearly was just trying to get him a shot to close out the game. I was mad in the moment, but I think the team trusts Kemba and wants to get him going. (he's closed lots of games in the 4th after rough starts this year)

Right as Indy started their run, they were playing a zone defense on the Cs. Walker got two really good looks at threes and missed them both. That allowed Indy back into the game.

« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2020, 09:13:29 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Right as Indy started their run, they were playing a zone defense on the Cs. Walker got two really good looks at threes and missed them both. That allowed Indy back into the game.
He also had a turnover and then another awful possession where he airballed a 3 after Brad called the first timeout to stem the run and put Tatum back in.  :-\

Hopefully he rounds into shape soon.

« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2020, 08:28:45 PM »

Offline Stig

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
In the past Stevens just call a timeout, draw a brilliant plan and tell his players to execute exactly that. I wonder now there are some star powers in the team, maybe he's reluctant to do that just for avoiding conflict? I hope he figures it out.

« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2020, 08:34:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In the past Stevens just call a timeout, draw a brilliant plan and tell his players to execute exactly that. I wonder now there are some star powers in the team, maybe he's reluctant to do that just for avoiding conflict? I hope he figures it out.
Or, he is still drawing up good plays and the Celtics are executing those plays poorly. Or, the opposition is playing great defense and stopping the play. Or both at the same time.

« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
What I have seen of Stevens' game closing plays have been hanging Kemba Walker out to dry twice by inbounds double teams that both resulted in turnovers and lost games and a Jayson Tatum weak one-on-one fade-away jumper when there was plenty of time to run one of Brad's "magical" last-shot never-before-seen plays that his fellow NBA coaches then copy for their own use. Not sure anyone wants those three game-losers.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2020, 10:26:26 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
The players may not believe in the system anymore. There has to start being some accountability for poor play. They aren't playing like they could lose something...players are too comfortable with their minutes.

Sign IT, bench Wanamaker
Move Hayward to bench
Call up Tacko permanently
Play bigger lineups
Stop letting the wrong players take too many shots.

Walker
Brown
Tatum
Theis
RWill

IT
Smart
Hayward
Williams
Kantor

Kind of an interesting plan. I love that 2nd group and we need a huge upgrade for the bench. Not sure about the Isaiah Thomas part, Just afraid there would be too much opportunity for drama in the locker room.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce