Author Topic: Aliens (the kind from outer space)  (Read 21158 times)

Re: Aliens (the kind from outer space)
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 01:15:39 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7CPLQvd5Rk&feature=rec-LGOUT-real_rn-1r-8-HM

I always found this professor and former photographer at Vandenberg AFB highly credible in they way he describes this incident
I'd have to say that for a professor or even really anyone who worked on ICBMs to publicly discuss anything having to do with the project at all would be a major major breach of security. I'd expect possible repercussions to be legal, perhaps lethal, and to certainly involve throwing your career away.

It would be a little like saying "We were working on the Manhattan project when this biker gang drove up and stole the first Fat Boy bomb. We were going to end the war two months earlier, but we don't know where the first bomb even is or how to find it"

Then of course we have to wonder about the alien's motive. They fly half way cross the universe and their order of business is to shoot down an ICBM.  Granted they allow tons of other ICBMs to do whatever, but this particular one they wanted to shoot down.

Then of course the professor isn't finished. He also wants to tell us that members of the government confiscated the tape and edited it and then went back to working for Lebron.  But they didn't destroy the tape. Rather they gave back the majority of it hoping nobody would ever notice. And then they warned him that they didn't need to warn him how important it was.

But rather than heed the warning he is telling this all to us because presumably he has nothing to gain and everything to lose and just wants us all to know.

Yeah. I don't know. I guess we have come to different conclusions about what is credible here.

« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 03:34:19 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 07:50:55 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25627
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
We live in a world where so much has changed in 200 years...  I'm just surprised that some are arguing that things are impossible because we currently can't comprehend them.

Sure, based upon our current view of physics, travel at, or faster than, the speed of light is impossible.  However, will we have the same understanding of physics in 10,000 years?  In one million years?  I'm not willing to say we will with any degree of certainty.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2011, 09:13:42 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
There is a big difference between traveling at the speed of light, and traveling in a means in which an object of a mass >0 can cover a distance that doesn't require straight line acceleration.

« Reply #64 on: January 17, 2011, 09:17:52 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
For those who were hoping for something different from the "We Are Not Alone" thread.

I like to think there are other forms of life out there, and that they are in fact exactly like Alf. This thought gets me through most days.  

(and no, this is not me!)

I dont think I will find a thread that is appropiate because I am in a hurry
but

CONGRATULATIONS on your 20,000 Post.

AWESOME!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #65 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:27 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
We live in a world where so much has changed in 200 years...  I'm just surprised that some are arguing that things are impossible because we currently can't comprehend them.

Sure, based upon our current view of physics, travel at, or faster than, the speed of light is impossible.  However, will we have the same understanding of physics in 10,000 years?  In one million years?  I'm not willing to say we will with any degree of certainty.

I agree with this, however, I think a lot of people equate "possible" with "probable" or "likely." I tend to keep "possible" to mean "not impossible." I think when a lot of people hear experts say that something is "not impossible," they immediately jump to saying "so and so expert thinks X has probably happened!"

« Reply #66 on: January 17, 2011, 10:27:09 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
For those who were hoping for something different from the "We Are Not Alone" thread.

I like to think there are other forms of life out there, and that they are in fact exactly like Alf. This thought gets me through most days.  

(and no, this is not me!)

I dont think I will find a thread that is appropiate because I am in a hurry
but

CONGRATULATIONS on your 20,000 Post.

AWESOME!!

gracias!~
Yup

« Reply #67 on: January 17, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
I agree with this, however, I think a lot of people equate "possible" with "probable" or "likely." I tend to keep "possible" to mean "not impossible." I think when a lot of people hear experts say that something is "not impossible," they immediately jump to saying "so and so expert thinks X has probably happened!"

You certainly are lumping a lot of people together who think Possible means probable and I think that is probably not true but then again my opinion is just as subjective as yours

Respectfully Po

and in terms of eja117 ...when I get time i am going to respond to you but your condescending tone in a bar room drinking a beer would get you the same response from me I would give Guava.....why so condescending ?   

« Reply #68 on: January 17, 2011, 10:46:16 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

You certainly are lumping a lot of people together who think Possible means probable and I think that is probably not true but then again my opinion is just as subjective as yours

Respectfully Po

and in terms of eja117 ...when I get time i am going to respond to you but your condescending tone in a bar room drinking a beer would get you the same response from me I would give Guava.....why so condescending ?   
If it makes you feel better I wasn't drinking. I really just find it that ridiculous, but I am interested to hear what you have to say and am looking forward to it.  On first look, though I just find it very dubious, and I guess my tone was to show how dubious I found it.

I don't at all find dubious that the government probably knows more than we do and that they may not tell us some things, but I just don't see this particular guy or situation credible at all.  Yet.

« Reply #69 on: January 17, 2011, 10:56:28 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Evidently, they put on the Patriots uniform yesterday.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #70 on: January 17, 2011, 10:58:15 AM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
You are flat out wrong. No question, and your arrogance and dismissive talk is a joke.

The feeling is mutual...exactly how I feel about you.

You think I'm flat out wrong when I say that it's NOT an absolute certainty that our current understanding of physics is complete and will never change?

Just about very physicist (or even intelligent thinker, for that matter) in the world will disagree with you. Yet you continue to condescend, while you're very clearly wrong. Again, I'm not arguing that it's a certainty that it's possible to travel faster than light, I'm not arguing that it's a certainty that E.T's exist, but I'm arguing that when you argue that it's a certainty that those things are impossible, you are absolutely 100% incorrect. Maybe you should look up what certainty or possible mean, if you still feel the way you do.

« Reply #71 on: January 17, 2011, 11:03:49 AM »

Offline nba is the worst

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 75
This  thread epitomizes why CelticsBlog is one of the greatest online communities ever.

Conversation on every conceivable topic - no wonder so many people regularly post here.

TP to the OP, and heck, everyone who posted their 2 cents!

« Reply #72 on: January 17, 2011, 11:14:41 AM »

Offline boom

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 26
You are flat out wrong. No question, and your arrogance and dismissive talk is a joke.

The feeling is mutual...exactly how I feel about you.

You think I'm flat out wrong when I say that it's NOT an absolute certainty that our current understanding of physics is complete and will never change?

Just about very physicist (or even intelligent thinker, for that matter) in the world will disagree with you. Yet you continue to condescend, while you're very clearly wrong. Again, I'm not arguing that it's a certainty that it's possible to travel faster than light, I'm not arguing that it's a certainty that E.T's exist, but I'm arguing that when you argue that it's a certainty that those things are impossible, you are absolutely 100% incorrect. Maybe you should look up what certainty or possible mean, if you still feel the way you do.

I find it funny that someone with a Gandhi avatar and handle of containing "monk" in it would be so close-minded.

Regardless, save your breath, it's not worth it arguing with these people. I guess they have nothing better to do then to try and ruin a thread they a) have no idea what they're talking about and b) have nothing intelligent to contribute.

Like I save, not worth it.

« Reply #73 on: January 17, 2011, 11:59:49 AM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn19429-laws-of-physics-may-change-across-the-universe.html

The 1st step in realizing not all is constant - even in the laws of physics. I guess the Truth is Out there... hahaha

« Reply #74 on: January 17, 2011, 12:41:09 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

I'm not debating the existence of aliens at all. I'm sure there are other beings out there on some unknown planets.

I'm only debating that it's not possible to travel faster than light. You may google and post articles that mention concepts that say it *may* be possible to do so...but none that can be tested. In science, you have to test something many times to say if it is true or not. You will need infinite amount of energy to achieve such travel speed..which is not possible....and you will need an object with zero rest mass..which is also not possible.

The article that you posted last night, mentions that one would need 10^42 joules of energy just to manipulate the 11th dimension...to give you an idea, 1 tonne of TNT explosion yields 10^8 joules of energy...so, you have to find a source which yields more than 5 times that amount energy.

We can go back and forth all day...we both feel that we are right. So, let's just agree to disagree. TP to you for the discussion.

I find it funny that someone with a Gandhi avatar and handle of containing "monk" in it would be so close-minded.

Regardless, save your breath, it's not worth it arguing with these people. I guess they have nothing better to do then to try and ruin a thread they a) have no idea what they're talking about and b) have nothing intelligent to contribute.

Like I save, not worth it.

Thanks for taking a shot at my avatar and the username. I see a lot of creativity and thinking was put in when coming up with "boom" as your username.

You're questioning my intelligence?? I see you have 111 very thoughtful and intelligent posts so far...keep it up, I guess, ::)
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi