Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12905 times)

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2019, 10:51:24 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
Jaylen posted this subtweet ("Interesting") later in the day after Ainge's WEEI interview - wonder if this was his response.

https://twitter.com/FCHWPO/status/1161843513085947905?s=20

« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2019, 11:34:02 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Even if this is true, I'm not liking how Danny seems to be calling out the younger players more than he is guys like Kyrie and Rozier, who by all accounts were the biggest issues with last year's team especially off the court (locker room).

If anything, just don't say anything and move on to next season.

Jaylen may have asked this, but are we sure Rozier didn't ask Danny similar questions about how he's a superstar, or Kyrie going on calling himself a true leader (LOL). Danny himself also said, a ton of guys in the locker room were focused on individual goals.

But what I do love is Danny going ahead and saying Jaylen handled last season and the frustrations the best out of everyone, which is the kind of stuff I do love to hear. 2018-2019 season is done and we've washed our hands. Lets just focus on next season with Kemba + our young core. 
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2019, 12:24:54 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I still maintain Ainge needs to go.  You can't call your players out like that.

But, while I didn't think it was so, a lot of people on this board, in the national media, and even Vegas pegged Boston as the favorite in the Eastern Conference last year.  They were supposed to be the team to beat.  Is it really that crazy for a young kid to start believing the hype and wondering how the team compared to great teams in the past?  I mean obviously last year's team didn't have a Bird level player, but I think you could maintain reasonable player comparisons (not style, but talent) at the other positions.  So if you are Brown and you think you match-up very well or maybe even better at several positions, the bench, etc. I don't think it is a completely crazy question to ask. 

Ainge though, should have kept all of this private.  I think he has lost touch with what it means to be a GM.  He constantly calls out the players, coaches, etc. in situations he doesn't need to.  His inability to pull the trigger and make moves, has cost the team for the last several years as well.  His health is a real concern and has probably hampered him in his ability to give 100% to the job.  It is time for him to retire and for Zarren to take over fully.

Fair to criticize him for this but you are over-reacting by saying he should be fired for it, or for his track record.
His track record since the Tatum trade has been pretty poor and it includes many instances of this type of conduct.  Ainge needs to step down.  His time has passed.

I agree that he was too timid in terms of trying to acquire PG13 and Kawhi, especially for really modest prices. But, the risk of them being one year rentals was substantial.

I don’t think sharing this story about JB is really a negative, though, and he heavily praised Jaylen in the interview.

I guess it depends on the relationship between Danny and Brown. If someone said this about me to the press I’d lose respect for that person and I’d say to their face that I thought it was lame and unnecessary. Be an adult and don’t ever imply I’m selfish to the media.  I just can’t wrap my head around these grown men making each other look bad in front of a microphone.

Maybe people are ignoring this part?

"He might have handled a difficult situation better than anybody on our team last year," Ainge said during a recent taping of The Michael Holley Podcast alongside Celtics managing partners Wyc Grousbeck and Steve Pagliuca. "Very mature kid, wants to be great, knows that his time is coming."

"It's hard for him to be patient, but he has been patient. And he continues to work," Ainge continued. "He's trying to find ways to get better, and I think Jaylen's going to be a very good player and has a very bright future."

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2019, 02:23:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2969
Imagine Horford - Mook - Tatum trying to defend Parish - McHale - Bird.

Ouch

How long before they say 'no mas'.

It would be a blow out with Larry nplaying left handed

« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2019, 02:27:45 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Can't compare generations. You just can't. If all the players grew up playing in the 86 era, no doubt the 86 Celtics win. If they all grew up  in the 19 era, still the 86 Celtics win.

But if you transported the 86 Celtics to play in the modern era, they'd struggle.

Guys are so much more athletic and play so much harder on both ends of the court now. The way every player has to close out to the three point line on defense multiple times a possession would absolutely exhaust (and frankly maybe even injure) the 86 Celtics if you are comparing Eras. As long as the 19 Celtics did not have one of their terrible shooting nights, they probably win.

« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2019, 03:14:39 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Can't compare generations. You just can't. If all the players grew up playing in the 86 era, no doubt the 86 Celtics win. If they all grew up  in the 19 era, still the 86 Celtics win.

But if you transported the 86 Celtics to play in the modern era, they'd struggle.

Guys are so much more athletic and play so much harder on both ends of the court now. The way every player has to close out to the three point line on defense multiple times a possession would absolutely exhaust (and frankly maybe even injure) the 86 Celtics if you are comparing Eras. As long as the 19 Celtics did not have one of their terrible shooting nights, they probably win.

wow, that is an interesting take.  While I agree that the 2019 C's might be more quick/athletic, it would be a bloodbath down low unless the 2019 team went zone.

« Reply #36 on: August 16, 2019, 05:02:02 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
This is such a common misconcepton that today's players are that much stronger and more athletic. Are they also that much stronger and more athletic then teams of the 90's too? I wouldn't try telling MJ or Pippen or for that matter Rodman that players today are much more athletic then they were 20, 30, or even 40 years ago. I sure wouldnt have tried telling that to Chamberlain either.

The fact is, you can't compare one era's style to another and rule in favor of either team based on era either. Does anyone really think that if Bird had gone into today's league that he wouldnt hit the three point shot a whole lot more then he did? What would that do for the rest of his game? Would Walton not be able to play in today's league? Lol, what a joke that idea is?

« Reply #37 on: August 16, 2019, 05:09:48 PM »

• Paul Silas

wow, that is an interesting take.  While I agree that the 2019 C's might be more quick/athletic, it would be a bloodbath down low unless the 2019 team went zone.

Even still. They would dominate in the paint.

I do think Horford's defense on Embiid gives us a little sense that he could hold his own a bit.

But on the other side you have bigs sprinting back and forth to the three point line every play, trying to cover the three.

Not only are you trading 3s for 2s, but you are tiring the bigs out, making them less effective later in the game.

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2019, 05:13:36 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I don't think it's controversial to say that if you took a great team from 40 years ago, transported them into the present day and threw them on the court again a quality modern team, they would be completely flabbergasted and probably play really badly.

The game has changed a lot and teams employ much different schemes.

But of course, that's not how any real competitions work. Teams get a chance to practice and study their opponents and develop skills parallel to all of their opponents.

If you time-traveled the 86 team to now and gave them 6 months to prepare, I would bet they could do pretty good job competing against any modern team.  The starters, anyway.  The bench might be an issue.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2019, 06:09:33 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
If you put the 86 team in today's league they would wipe the floor with everyone and from day one!! What a joke, do you really think that team couldnt run or shoot with today's teams? Get real.

Man Bird would turn today's three point game into his own playground. People wouldnt be talking about Curry nearly so much if Bird were playing today. And, there's not a single player in today's game who could handle McHale down low. Ainge would be another Klay Thompson if they needed him to be and DJ would own most of the leagues guards. Walton would anihilate anyones backup bigs.

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2019, 06:56:50 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I do think Horford's defense on Embiid gives us a little sense that he could hold his own a bit.

But on the other side you have bigs sprinting back and forth to the three point line every play, trying to cover the three.

Not only are you trading 3s for 2s, but you are tiring the bigs out, making them less effective later in the game.
The Celtics of 86 played some of the greatest fast break basketball of the time. Those guys ran all the time. In some ways teams of that time would have more energy as they built their basketball bodies through cardiovascular training than weight training. Those guys could run up and down the court for 40 minutes a game. Thinking the bigs would get tired from just running out to the three point line is just flat out wrong with how those guys trained and played because the game was very much full court sprinting all the time. Rebound and get out running.

And that's another issue. That 86 team would out rebound probably every team in the current NBA. If today's teams were missing their threes, the 86 Celtics would be rebounding, outletting the ball and fast breaking in a second on today's teams.

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2019, 07:16:14 PM »

• Paul Silas

The Celtics of 86 played some of the greatest fast break basketball of the time. Those guys ran all the time. In some ways teams of that time would have more energy as they built their basketball bodies through cardiovascular training than weight training. Those guys could run up and down the court for 40 minutes a game. Thinking the bigs would get tired from just running out to the three point line is just flat out wrong with how those guys trained and played because the game was very much full court sprinting all the time. Rebound and get out running.

And that's another issue. That 86 team would out rebound probably every team in the current NBA. If today's teams were missing their threes, the 86 Celtics would be rebounding, outletting the ball and fast breaking in a second on today's teams.

Just a silly debate that's been had a thousand times, with nothing new to be said. I disagree. From my eye test the game today is harsher. Doesn't take anything away from the 86 team. They were still dominate.

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2019, 07:24:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I would love for today's athletes to go back and play 48 minutes of fast break, playoff basketball in the old Garden in June with no air conditioning and temperatures in the building in the 90's and then let's see who is slow to close out on shooters and unable to get back on transition defense. My guess is the athletes of today would have been gassed and run off the court.

« Reply #43 on: August 16, 2019, 08:07:38 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Yeah, Larry played 38 minutes per game, and at a faster pace than our current team. Conditioning wouldn’t be a problem.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #44 on: August 16, 2019, 08:36:55 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
How many points could Bird put up if a defender couldnt hand check him?
ok fine