Author Topic: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team  (Read 12884 times)

Re: Brown asked Ainge if they were as good as the '86 team
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2019, 12:12:20 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
The Kemba-DJ matchup would be interesting, and so would Jaylen-Ainge - or Smart-Ainge(!!)

After that it goes downhill fast for the modern Cs.

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2019, 01:10:12 PM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1557
Imagine Horford - Mook - Tatum trying to defend Parish - McHale - Bird.

Ouch

How long before they say 'no mas'.
Maybe 1 quarter

They'd be pooping their diapers.

Not that it would matter much in the long haul, but I guess to some degree of would depend which era they were playing in.  I tend to think Bird and company would have an easier time adapting to go today's style the v/v.

BEST FRONTCOURT EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2019, 01:26:51 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-may-have-handled-last-year-better-anybody-celtics

Ainge appeared on Holley's podcast and told an anecdote about Brown from before last season:

During a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “The Michael Holley Podcast,” Danny Ainge also mentioned how Brown got a little ahead of himself prior to last season.

“Jaylen Brown grabbed me in the lunchroom and he came and sat behind me and said, ‘Do you think that we’re as good as (the) 1986 Celtics team?’ And I went, ‘Oh my gosh, he’s so young,’” Ainge said. “And I just don’t think that they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to). And Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time. But it was just fascinating, he was just looking at it like match-up to match-up to match-up, like you do in a video game.

“But that was a real awakening to me and how — just the perspective of guys. And then how certain guys thought they were going to be all-stars (in 2018-20) and they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too many individual goals. But we just had too many individual goals. We didn’t have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21 and 22-year-olds kids, that’s going to happen. So, I like them and I understand where every player is. I was that player.”

I thought this was an interesting tidbit to share. Brown is often portrayed as one of the more thoughtful and intelligent young Celtics, but that makes it easy to forget he's just 22 (soon to be 23) years old. I didn't see this story as showing how delusional or cocky he is, rather that he simply had no perspective on how difficult it is to be a championship team, much less one that is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah, this quote makes Kyrie's criticism more legitimate and understandable.  He was basically saying the same thing as Danny said above.

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2019, 01:37:39 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
https://weei.radio.com/blogs/nick-friar/danny-ainge-jaylen-brown-may-have-handled-last-year-better-anybody-celtics

Ainge appeared on Holley's podcast and told an anecdote about Brown from before last season:

During a recent appearance on NBC Sports Boston’s “The Michael Holley Podcast,” Danny Ainge also mentioned how Brown got a little ahead of himself prior to last season.

“Jaylen Brown grabbed me in the lunchroom and he came and sat behind me and said, ‘Do you think that we’re as good as (the) 1986 Celtics team?’ And I went, ‘Oh my gosh, he’s so young,’” Ainge said. “And I just don’t think that they could even grasp that 1985 loss to the Lakers and the torture of that series and what that led (to). And Larry Bird was in his prime, one of the greatest Celtics of all time. But it was just fascinating, he was just looking at it like match-up to match-up to match-up, like you do in a video game.

“But that was a real awakening to me and how — just the perspective of guys. And then how certain guys thought they were going to be all-stars (in 2018-20) and they work hard all summer to reach these individual goals, but we just had too many individual goals. But we just had too many individual goals. We didn’t have enough guys that winning was the most important thing. And when you have 21 and 22-year-olds kids, that’s going to happen. So, I like them and I understand where every player is. I was that player.”

I thought this was an interesting tidbit to share. Brown is often portrayed as one of the more thoughtful and intelligent young Celtics, but that makes it easy to forget he's just 22 (soon to be 23) years old. I didn't see this story as showing how delusional or cocky he is, rather that he simply had no perspective on how difficult it is to be a championship team, much less one that is considered one of the greatest of all time.

Yeah, this quote makes Kyrie's criticism more legitimate and understandable.  He was basically saying the same thing as Danny said above.

I think Kyrie had a point in his comments, he just didn't go about it the right way. I think if he played it better, the team wouldve been better.

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2019, 03:00:52 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 286
Brown was just asking a dumb question I don't see what the big deal is.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2019, 03:32:52 PM »

Offline blink

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1479
Brown was just asking a dumb question I don't see what the big deal is.

Yeah me too.  It was a dumb question.  Since he wasn't even born then, for me he gets a bit of a pass not knowing how good that 86 team was.  But it is probably time for him to do some history / research on his team.

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2019, 04:55:22 PM »

Offline ozgod

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1372

That was probably around the time that he was interviewed before the season started and said he expected to win five championships by the time he was 28. I know Jaylen's a confident fella but that was some delusion of grandeur there. Must've come as a reality shock when they went 10-10 and couldn't mesh together.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jaylen-brown-predicts-he-will-have-five-rings-age-28
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2019, 07:50:37 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I still maintain Ainge needs to go.  You can't call your players out like that.

But, while I didn't think it was so, a lot of people on this board, in the national media, and even Vegas pegged Boston as the favorite in the Eastern Conference last year.  They were supposed to be the team to beat.  Is it really that crazy for a young kid to start believing the hype and wondering how the team compared to great teams in the past?  I mean obviously last year's team didn't have a Bird level player, but I think you could maintain reasonable player comparisons (not style, but talent) at the other positions.  So if you are Brown and you think you match-up very well or maybe even better at several positions, the bench, etc. I don't think it is a completely crazy question to ask. 

Ainge though, should have kept all of this private.  I think he has lost touch with what it means to be a GM.  He constantly calls out the players, coaches, etc. in situations he doesn't need to.  His inability to pull the trigger and make moves, has cost the team for the last several years as well.  His health is a real concern and has probably hampered him in his ability to give 100% to the job.  It is time for him to retire and for Zarren to take over fully.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2019, 08:22:11 AM »

Offline MichiganAdam

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 16
Love to see how many threes, and assists Bird would have gotten in this set of rules.  I think his back would have held out longer in this no touch league too...

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2019, 08:52:05 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

But, while I didn't think it was so, a lot of people on this board, in the national media, and even Vegas pegged Boston as the favorite in the Eastern Conference last year.  They were supposed to be the team to beat.  Is it really that crazy for a young kid to start believing the hype and wondering how the team compared to great teams in the past?  I mean obviously last year's team didn't have a Bird level player, but I think you could maintain reasonable player comparisons (not style, but talent) at the other positions.  So if you are Brown and you think you match-up very well or maybe even better at several positions, the bench, etc. I don't think it is a completely crazy question to ask. 

Ainge though, should have kept all of this private.  I think he has lost touch with what it means to be a GM.  He constantly calls out the players, coaches, etc. in situations he doesn't need to.  His inability to pull the trigger and make moves, has cost the team for the last several years as well.  His health is a real concern and has probably hampered him in his ability to give 100% to the job.  It is time for him to retire and for Zarren to take over fully.

Fair to criticize him for this but you are over-reacting by saying he should be fired for it, or for his track record.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2019, 09:03:24 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Fair to criticize him for this but you are over-reacting by saying he should be fired for it, or for his track record.
His track record since the Tatum trade has been pretty poor and it includes many instances of this type of conduct.  Ainge needs to step down.  His time has passed.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2019, 09:17:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

His track record since the Tatum trade has been pretty poor and it includes many instances of this type of conduct.  Ainge needs to step down.  His time has passed.

I agree that he was too timid in terms of trying to acquire PG13 and Kawhi, especially for really modest prices. But, the risk of them being one year rentals was substantial.

I don’t think sharing this story about JB is really a negative, though, and he heavily praised Jaylen in the interview.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2019, 10:22:14 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

That was probably around the time that he was interviewed before the season started and said he expected to win five championships by the time he was 28. I know Jaylen's a confident fella but that was some delusion of grandeur there. Must've come as a reality shock when they went 10-10 and couldn't mesh together.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/jaylen-brown-predicts-he-will-have-five-rings-age-28

I honestly think Jaylen was acting like a dope in that interview because that reporter is ridiculously hot. I probably would would have said 5 rings in 4 seasons.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2019, 10:24:18 AM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
I know I'm biased and too young to remember but after watching numerous DVDs and YouTube clips, the '86 Celtics were the best ever!

And I'll add that I think Larry is one of the best 4 players of all time (if we're talking Mt. Rushmore.)  Made the most of his basketball intelligence without being very athletic.

« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2019, 10:28:06 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104

I agree that he was too timid in terms of trying to acquire PG13 and Kawhi, especially for really modest prices. But, the risk of them being one year rentals was substantial.

I don’t think sharing this story about JB is really a negative, though, and he heavily praised Jaylen in the interview.

I guess it depends on the relationship between Danny and Brown. If someone said this about me to the press I’d lose respect for that person and I’d say to their face that I thought it was lame and unnecessary. Be an adult and don’t ever imply I’m selfish to the media.  I just can’t wrap my head around these grown men making each other look bad in front of a microphone.