Author Topic: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season  (Read 16298 times)

Re: Map Out Your Ideal, Quasi-Realistic Off-season
« Reply #30 on: October 08, 2020, 11:24:17 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Roy - I too was attempting to figure out what type of trade it would take to acquire JJ Redick. I think it'd have to be Romeo and Poirier plus a pick or 2. I would do it in a second. If NOP agreed I think there'd be some really interesting discussion surrounding how the lineups would be.

Who starts? 

You could bring Gordon and JJ off the bench. You could bring Smart and JJ off the bench. You could bring Gordon and Smart off the bench. I think we could really get creative with lineups.

It'd be a real 7 man playoff team, with Grant/RWill getting some spot mins.

No way I give up Romeo in a Reddick deal.  The J's are too young to start doing all in trades...imo (unless it's a slam dunk, which Reddick is not).  Romeo has too much potential.  And, it'll be no time at all that Bane is helping some team more than JJ.

« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
My criteria for anything done is:

Does it compliment maximizing Tatum and Brown offensively?
Does it improve our defense?
Does it improve our ability to make offensive decisions under playoff pressure?

I'd be OK with just trading up in the draft to get Okongwu or Halliburton or even both.

For other moves, to me, Kemba is a bit of a problem. Great guy, and very good scorer. He's a tolerable defender during the season, but was very exploitable in the playoffs, and he has been exposed as a shaky decision maker under playoff pressure. Replace his minutes with elite defense and we become the best defense in the league, which is our best path to a title. Smart, Tatum and Brown form a very unique defensive core and we need to lean into that.

While I'm not sure Simmons handles pressure that well either, I think he'd be a monster compliment to our defense and he's a terrific passer, so I'd be quite happy with the Simmons deal. I think he'll be OK in a situation where he doesn't have to carry the team. I see no reason why he would have to be a center, and I don't see why they would want Theis, so maybe that could be reworked. But even if it isn't, we can roll with Robert Williams, Grant Williams and Kanter.

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2020, 11:41:53 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
1. Sign Baynes.
2. Run it back.

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2020, 11:44:21 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
1. Sign Baynes.
2. Run it back.

I’d love to have Baynes back.

I think we need to add additional talent, however.  We need somebody on the bench that can reliably score.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2020, 11:48:21 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Roy - I too was attempting to figure out what type of trade it would take to acquire JJ Redick. I think it'd have to be Romeo and Poirier plus a pick or 2. I would do it in a second. If NOP agreed I think there'd be some really interesting discussion surrounding how the lineups would be.

Who starts? 

You could bring Gordon and JJ off the bench. You could bring Smart and JJ off the bench. You could bring Gordon and Smart off the bench. I think we could really get creative with lineups.

No way I give up Romeo in a Reddick deal.  The J's are too young to start doing all in trades...imo (unless it's a slam dunk, which Reddick is not).  Romeo has too much potential.  And, it'll be no time at all that Bane is helping some team more than JJ.

I see your point about Romeo, but I am not sure Poirier will ever contribute to this team. I guess what the FO has to decide all-in or continue incremental improvement. Yes I think Romeo will be better someday than what JJ is right now. However, JJ would do more for this team than Romeo over the next couple of years, I think.

« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2020, 11:54:41 AM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
1. Sign Baynes.
2. Run it back.

I think we need to add additional talent, however.  We need somebody on the bench that can reliably score.

I think we need to move a few young bodies to a team thats going to use the short season to tank and grab a vet. And then maybe try to grab Baynes and IT.

IT,Smart,GW,Vet

I think one of Theis, Kanter, Timlord has to get moved. I like Kanter, but Their adds more and Timlord has potential.

« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2020, 12:01:13 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
1. Sign Baynes.
2. Run it back.

We can address this by drafting Nesmith!!

« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2020, 12:28:30 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
https://tradenba.com/trades/yTbY98Emc

Use this draft to improve bench.

Poirier, Carsen Edwards, Ojelye, Javonte Green and pick 47, to Dallas for MKG, Justin Jackson and pick 31.

Ojelye bigger than MKG and a better shooter too.  Edwards potential.  Green is a player...just needs opportunity.  Poirier a European throw in...with Powell's injury they may want insurance.  And Doncic and Porzingis may be good for Poirier.    Hate to give up Green, but...

At pick 31 C's take Danny's favorite big, so that at 26 and 30 they can focus on BPA who can really help.  Or, adding pick 31 allows the use of 26 or 30 on a big, so that 31 becomes a sharpshooting wing, etc. etc...

I'm ready to use Tremont Waters next year.  He's good.  Let's play him.

Example draft: 
26: Ramsey, Tillman or Jalen Smith, Bane possibly
30:  Tillman or Isiah Stewart or Zeke Naji or Vernon Carey or Ramsey if he falls and Smith taken.
31:  Tyler Bey or Cassius Stanley, or Bane, or a big if needed due to other picks used on smaller guys

Keep Kanter if he says he'll be happy despite non use at times in the playoffs.

« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2020, 01:34:06 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
https://tradenba.com/trades/yTbY98Emc

Use this draft to improve bench.

Poirier, Carsen Edwards, Ojelye, Javonte Green and pick 47, to Dallas for MKG, Justin Jackson and pick 31.

Ojelye bigger than MKG and a better shooter too.  Edwards potential.  Green is a player...just needs opportunity.  Poirier a European throw in...with Powell's injury they may want insurance.  And Doncic and Porzingis may be good for Poirier.    Hate to give up Green, but...

At pick 31 C's take Danny's favorite big, so that at 26 and 30 they can focus on BPA who can really help.  Or, adding pick 31 allows the use of 26 or 30 on a big, so that 31 becomes a sharpshooting wing, etc. etc...

I'm ready to use Tremont Waters next year.  He's good.  Let's play him.

Example draft: 
26: Ramsey, Tillman or Jalen Smith, Bane possibly
30:  Tillman or Isiah Stewart or Zeke Naji or Vernon Carey or Ramsey if he falls and Smith taken.
31:  Tyler Bey or Cassius Stanley, or Bane, or a big if needed due to other picks used on smaller guys

Keep Kanter if he says he'll be happy despite non use at times in the playoffs.
I'm ok with the idea of clearing deadwood from the bench but what's coming back isn't exactly improving the bench much if at all.  getting yet another pick at the beginning of the second round isn't what we need either

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2020, 02:22:18 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Who starts? 

Agreed. I want to see what we have with this kid. He has already exceeded expectations defensively. His strength offensively is inside scoring (Danny emphasized this recently), and that is something we lack. Has potential to be Jimmy Butler lite IMO.  We'd be trading him for pennies on the dollar.  Too many fans want an immediate fix, and I have two words for you:

Joe
Johnson

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2020, 04:10:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
1. Trade Kemba + Theis + #14 + #26 + #30 for Ben Simmons + Mike Scott

https://tradenba.com/trades/QYhiedMUW

2. Draft Isaiah Joe or Sam Merrill at #47.
3. Pick up Semi's team option. I'm higher on Semi than most of you guys are. I believe he's a serviceable 3+D swing.
4. Re-sign Wanamaker. He's a ball handler who's perfectly happy to play off the ball. That's a pretty rare combo. Poor man's George Hill.
5. If Kanter opts in, trade him for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get. If he opts out, let him walk.
6. Cut Javonte Green. He's on a non-guaranteed contract.
7. Cut Poirier and eat his salary.
8. Sign Drew Eubanks for the minimum. He is nothing special, but he plays with great motor and he's strong enough to slow down traditional Centers in the paint. Alternatively, sign Noah Vonleh for the minimum and use him as a stretch 5.
9. Sign a 3rd stringer SF for the minimum. Couldn't care less who we sign. My plan would be to give all the backup SG and SF minutes to Romeo.
10. Let Waters and Tacko walk. Wouldn't even offer them a 2-way contract. Maybe keep Tacko cause he's a cult figure? Meh, whatever.

PG: Smart - Wanamaker - Edwards
SG: Brown - Romeo - Isaiah Joe
SF: Hayward - Semi - vet/rookie min
PF: Tatum - G. Williams - Mike Scott
C: Simmons - Timelord - Eubanks

Again, give Romeo all the backup minutes at the SG and SF positions.
You're never gonna convince me that Ben Simmons will be willing and/or able to play full time center.
Yeah, because he's not a big man at all. "He's tall" is not a particularly convincing argument
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2020, 04:52:41 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254

3. Pick up Semi's team option. I'm higher on Semi than most of you guys are. I believe he's a serviceable 3+D swing.
4. Re-sign Wanamaker. He's a ball handler who's perfectly happy to play off the ball. That's a pretty rare combo. Poor man's George Hill.
5. If Kanter opts in, trade him for cap relief + whatever future pick(s) we can get. If he opts out, let him walk.
8. Sign Drew Eubanks for the minimum. He is nothing special, but he plays with great motor and he's strong enough to slow down traditional Centers in the paint. Alternatively, sign Noah Vonleh for the minimum and use him as a stretch 5.
9. Sign a 3rd stringer SF for the minimum. Couldn't care less who we sign. My plan would be to give all the backup SG and SF minutes to Romeo.
10. Let Waters and Tacko walk. Wouldn't even offer them a 2-way contract. Maybe keep Tacko cause he's a cult figure? Meh, whatever.

You're never gonna convince me that Ben Simmons will be willing and/or able to play full time center.
Yeah, because he's not a big man at all. "He's tall" is not a particularly convincing argument
So we would play him at the 4 spot instead.

The minutes shift from Kemba to him, which is a huge defensive, rebounding and playmaking upgrade, while subtracting significant shooting, but not that much less scoring. More shots for Tatum and Brown which they would take anyway.

Marcus becomes the starting point, R. Williams becomes a starter and Hayward moves to the bench, where he is the league's best 6th man. Scott adds bench scoring too. A killer defensive team. A better bench with actual scoring.

We would be a much better team.

« Reply #42 on: October 08, 2020, 05:01:22 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766

That's fine. Play Smart at center then and run Simmons at point.

« Reply #43 on: October 08, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

So we would play him at the 4 spot instead.

The minutes shift from Kemba to him, which is a huge defensive, rebounding and playmaking upgrade, while subtracting significant shooting, but not that much less scoring. More shots for Tatum and Brown which they would take anyway.

Marcus becomes the starting point, R. Williams becomes a starter and Hayward moves to the bench, where he is the league's best 6th man. Scott adds bench scoring too. A killer defensive team. A better bench with actual scoring.

We would be a much better team.
That team goes from being one of the best shooting starting lineups in the competition to one of the worst in the blink of an eye. It also makes Philly a much better team (might be too good for us even, given how much Kemba has beaten Smart in the past). Not to mention the fact that Kemba is already the leader of our locker-room according to our players.

I think this trade would have a lot of unintended bad consequences
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2020, 05:20:44 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
I might be the outlier here, but I'm vehemently against any trade that makes Smart our full time point guard. I love him as a player, but his constant offensive blunders in regards to turnovers and shot selection makes me think he wouldn't be a good primary ball handler for us.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum