Author Topic: Celtics (6-1) at Spurs (5-3) Game 8 11/9/19  (Read 32566 times)

Re: Celtics (6-1) at Spurs (5-3) Game 8 11/9/19
« Reply #450 on: November 09, 2019, 08:58:05 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

After buzzer Smart walks up to Pop and offers a handshake. Pop pulls his had away and yells "get away from me!" Smart and Brown both jump all over him.

Are you serious ?
It's probably an affectionate thing from their team USA spell. I didn't see it

Oh ok, forgot about the Team USA connection.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2019, 11:32:40 PM by tenn_smoothie »
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #451 on: November 09, 2019, 09:00:24 PM »

Offline apc

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 437
My guess is if Pops had the choice, he would love to have Smart, Kemba, Jayson and Jaylen on the Spurs after what he saw of them this summer. Good to see Smart and Brown have good feelings towards their Team USA coach.

Hopefully Pops retires before Marcus hits unrestricted free agency.
That would really hurt. Smart seems like a lifer to me.

Smart & Murray would be tough though

https://www.nbatitlechase.com/2019/11/10/video-gregg-popovich-tells-marcus-smart-to-behave-after-the-game/

« Reply #452 on: November 09, 2019, 09:58:06 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3175
Great win in San Antonio and Lakers and Celtics tied for the number spot in the league!

« Reply #453 on: November 09, 2019, 10:09:27 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 417
BTW, I am often out of touch re: pop culture (which I am assuming is the source), but please tell me what is the origin of Timelord and why is it Rob's moniker?

Some dumb nickname Scalabrine came up with. Personally, I hate it which is why I never refer to him as such. It just sounds dumb.

« Reply #454 on: November 09, 2019, 10:32:10 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
BTW, I am often out of touch re: pop culture (which I am assuming is the source), but please tell me what is the origin of Timelord and why is it Rob's moniker?

Some dumb nickname Scalabrine came up with. Personally, I hate it which is why I never refer to him as such. It just sounds dumb.
This is false. Weird Celtics Twitter gave him the nickname after he was late to his rookie press conference etc. Scalabrine is too dumb to give him a cool nickname like Timelord.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/12/14/robert-williams-time-lord-nickname

« Reply #455 on: November 09, 2019, 10:35:26 PM »

Offline arctic 3.0

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 406

This is false. Weird Celtics Twitter gave him the nickname after he was late to his rookie press conference etc. Scalabrine is too dumb to give him a cool nickname like Timelord.

https://www.boston.com/sports/boston-celtics/2018/12/14/robert-williams-time-lord-nickname

It is WCT’s world. We’re just living in it.

« Reply #456 on: November 09, 2019, 11:29:42 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 730

Agree gpap - it's a derogatory term. Should have done away with it as soon as the season started.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #457 on: November 09, 2019, 11:31:48 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

the "good" regarding the nickname Timelord fits

RW really does mess with "time" the way he can swat shots/alley dunks etc.

what is wrong with the nickname?

« Reply #458 on: November 09, 2019, 11:37:37 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
to me at least, it sounds too cheap for the level these athletes are at....just cheap and dumb.  Not sure exactly why I feel that way...just feels cheap and gimmicky.  I prefer a name to come from within the culture of the NBA maybe...not off the blogosphere...For the level they play at...that doesn't seem too much to ask. 

« Reply #459 on: November 09, 2019, 11:37:41 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

Some people hate fun. I mean guys can play their entire career and not get a nickname that sticks, I think its kind of cool RWIII got one.

« Reply #460 on: November 09, 2019, 11:39:16 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

I like Ainge's suggestion of Lob Williams better (lol)

« Reply #461 on: November 09, 2019, 11:41:43 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

Some people hate fun. I mean guys can play their entire career and not get a nickname that sticks, I think its kind of cool RWIII got one.

Not true, I just don't like it. But it doesn't matter. To each, his own.

I just hope Robert continues to play the way he played tonight. What an athlete (and more importantly, a monster on the boards!)

« Reply #462 on: November 09, 2019, 11:43:11 PM »

Online keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 549

I like Ainge's suggestion of Lob Williams better (lol)

His most vertical majesty, the TimeLord, Lob Williams. Disher of dimes, blocker of threes, and slammer of dunks.

Long may he ball. 

« Reply #463 on: November 09, 2019, 11:45:35 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

I just hope Robert continues to play the way he played tonight. What an athlete (and more importantly, a monster on the boards!)

is there a reason or you just don't (without an explanation)?

« Reply #464 on: November 09, 2019, 11:47:32 PM »

Offline gpap

• Don Nelson

is there a reason or you just don't (without an explanation)?

I guess probably because it feels sort of forced, before he even played a single game. All because he missed a flight. Like Wiley said, I prefer players get nicknames based upon their play on the court, not because of missing a flight because you overslept. Just seems silly.