Author Topic: Pick an all-time C's team to beat CLE/GS without Russell/Bird/Hondo/KG  (Read 13657 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Isaiah Thomas
Jaylen Brown
Gordon Hayward
Marcus Morris
Al Horford
This

Thread ended

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Gimme some Tiny Archibald please
Yup

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
cowens (make green look sad) I'd actually think he'd be the X factor, he's a guy that gs would want now
mchale
pierce
reggie lewis
jojo white

now prime tiny before he was a Celtic  :P

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
McHale, Cowens and PP,  Reggie Lewis and DJ

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
McHale, Cowens and PP,  Reggie Lewis and DJ

Cowens was first stretch 5 when stretch was to the top of key. LOL

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
cowens (make green look sad) I'd actually think he'd be the X factor, he's a guy that gs would want now
mchale
pierce
reggie lewis
jojo white

now prime tiny before he was a Celtic  :P

Nice. Just came to post this. TP.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sam Jones ain't getting enough love on this subject. The man's WS/48 is higher than:

Dwyane Wade
Carmelo Anthony
Kobe Bryant
Scottie Pippen
And a ton of Celtic greats being mentioned here. Sam Jones, if he played nowadays would be considered one of the greatest players ever because would have started right out of college and hung giant career numbers up. He played 3 positions and at 6'4" was the one of the most versatile two-way players in the league.

If you're not starting Sam Jones on one of these teams, you just have no idea just how great this guy was.

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
My goal would be to work inside-out and do so with bigs that can post-up and hammer them in the post and on the glass. With enough shooting on the perimeter to stretch the D out and allow our bigs room to operate. I also want positional size at every position, which is why I opted for Johnson and White at PG over Rondo, Thomas, Tiny, and Cousy. Walker would be the skinny version. He was a really talented player and on this team wouldn't be asked to do too much, which would reduce his high turnover rate and low percentages.

Starters
McHale
Pierce
Cowens
DJ
Lewis

Second Team
Horford
Walker
Parish
JoJo
Allen

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Pierce
McHale
Thomas
Hayward
Allen

You need at least four good three point shooters to have a prayer.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
I think Parish had the agility and quickness to play today's game, although he didn't showcase it often. He was a 2 way stud in his prime. Rim protection!

McHale began evolving his 3 pointer late. I'd take him regardless. Absolute beast (unicorn, as they say).

Pierce, yes. Reggie, yes. Prime Rondo & IT, yes & yes.

Ray & DJ off the bench. Young Antoine for kicks. Chauncey Billups & Joe Johnson deep bench. Tommy Heinsohn .... wild card/moxy.

Kevin Gamble, Eddie House, Waltah McCarty.   

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
As a teenager born in the 00s, it baffles me that no one actually even thinks of JoJo White except for a select few, in a group that supposedly should have a lot of people that have watched 70s games. Do you guys not know how average DJ actually was in HIS CELTICS CAREER compared to White?
DJ: 12.6 PPG, 6.4 APG, 3.2 RPG, 1.2 SPG and 0.4 BPG on 44.6/15.6/84 shooting.
JoJo: 18.4 PPG, 5.1 APG, 4.3 RPG, 1.3 SPG and 0.2 BPG on 44.2/NA/83.3 shooting.
JoJo was clearly an All-Star caliber player during his tenure with the Celtics while DJ was a very good role player. I do not mean to slight DJ but White was significantly better as a celtic.
My all-time team (subs will be role players)
JoJo White/08 Rondo
Sam Jones/Danny Ainge
Paul Pierce/James Posey
Kevin McHale/12 Brandon Bass
Dave Cowens/86 Bill Walton
This team has both the defensive versatility to shut down GSW and the offensive firepower to score (JoJo is a GOAT 3rd option, Sam Jones averaged 25 PPG in his prime, 'nuff said about the Captain, McHale was a low post torture chamber and Cowens was an MVP in a 70s with Kareem and Dr. J). Bench is also versatile enough to deal with the Livingstons and Iguodalas of GSW, plus Bill would kill the opposing center.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I guess no one's willing to admit that JoJo>DJ as a Celtic?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

Offline 2short

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 428
I feel Jojo white is a very overlooked guy, great player, amazing defender.  A side note for c's all time team.  Tiny, DJ, Walton (and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of) came to the celtics past their prime.  DJ in Seattle was a much different player.  Tiny with KC was AMAZING.  Players like Dominique , Maravich etc its easy to know he wasn't the same guy.  Tiny and DJ mainly still played great for us but were a few steps below their best game.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Len Bias was a Celtic for a day.  :'(

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I feel Jojo white is a very overlooked guy, great player, amazing defender.  A side note for c's all time team.  Tiny, DJ, Walton (and I'm sure others I'm not thinking of) came to the celtics past their prime.  DJ in Seattle was a much different player.  Tiny with KC was AMAZING.  Players like Dominique , Maravich etc its easy to know he wasn't the same guy.  Tiny and DJ mainly still played great for us but were a few steps below their best game.
Thank you for being the only apparent guy with the brains and the balls to acknowledge the GOAT 3rd option JoJo White. TP.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA