Author Topic: Will Hayward ever start?  (Read 3112 times)

Re: Will Hayward ever start?
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2019, 03:31:56 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
A healthy Hayward, back too 100% is a superior passer, playmaker, ball handler, defender, with a better BB IQ than Brown, Morris or Tatum at this point. It all depends on how the recovery goes. I think too many Celtic fans forgot how talented this guy was.

Yeah, I saw a Jazz fan on reddit today argue that the Jazz are better without Hayward, regardless of the injury.  ::)

The Jazz team begged Hayward to be more selfish with the ball. One of his defining characteristics is his unselfishness. It's his default mode, especially when roles aren't defined and he isn't confident in his game yet.

A fully healthy Hayward is going to be my favorite basketball player on this team. He's frustrating to watch right now, but it is really fun to watch guys who make the right decision with the basketball every time, and play tough, versatile defense on the other side of the court.

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2019, 03:32:21 PM »

Offline Silky

• NFT
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 144
A healthy Hayward, back too 100% is a superior passer, playmaker, ball handler, defender, with a better BB IQ than Brown, Morris or Tatum at this point. It all depends on how the recovery goes. I think too many Celtic fans forgot how talented this guy was.

but will he ever get there physically and mentally.

Jury's out...

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2019, 03:58:06 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
whatever happens, for now I'd like Stevens to give the 2nd unit key to Hayward for ball handling instead of Rozier

Yes. It's a role that is suited to his talents; the starting unit can play off and through veterans Irving and Horford, while the 2nd unit plays through Hayward.  Rozier seems to want out so bad anyway, and he lacks the leadership ability Hayward brings to add stability off the bench.

i don't know if he wants out badly but Rozier seemed better off as a scorer. I just can't stand watching him pound the ball with no movement going for the iso almost 10/10 times and then dishing it out totally last minute. If he wants to be a scorer so be it, but let him play off of Hayward in the second unit. I see him as a total offensive black hole

:)
Beavis ....ha ahha ha ha

he said black hole.  👹

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2019, 04:15:14 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
This thread is funny because before the year 90% of people were against Hayward coming off the bench and now it seems like 90% are in favor of it.

My how the turntables...
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2019, 04:16:15 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3150
I don't see Hayward going back into the starting lineup anytime soon barring injury...

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2019, 04:37:58 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He should
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2019, 04:39:35 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
He should

He should...

Not.

He's been awful, a step slow on defense... Starting him in the beginning of the season when not ready was a huge mistake.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2019, 04:47:14 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I think it’s time to consider moving Gordon back to the starting lineup.  I like the idea of Tatum to the bench — making the bench essentially the team that took the C’s to the ECF last year. 

Starting five: Al, GH, MM, MS, KI. 
Bench: TR, JT, JB, Baynes/Theis, Semi

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2019, 10:46:08 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He should

He should...

Not.

He's been awful, a step slow on defense... Starting him in the beginning of the season when not ready was a huge mistake.
Maybe, but it isn't the beginning of the season now. 

The simple reality is, Boston needs his playmaking in the starting lineup and needs Morris' scoring punch on the bench. 

Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford should start against most teams.  Against the large lineup teams, Smart should come off the bench with Baynes starting.  That is the starting lineups that will give Boston the best chance to truly compete with the elite teams in playoff series.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2019, 11:25:41 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Not this season

His ability to drive and finish with aggression is not there (as expected)

He is trying

« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2019, 06:24:45 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
He should

He should...

Not.

Maybe, but it isn't the beginning of the season now. 

The simple reality is, Boston needs his playmaking in the starting lineup and needs Morris' scoring punch on the bench. 

Irving, Smart, Hayward, Tatum, and Horford should start against most teams.  Against the large lineup teams, Smart should come off the bench with Baynes starting.  That is the starting lineups that will give Boston the best chance to truly compete with the elite teams in playoff series.

Kyrie just had a game with 27 points and 18 assists... It seems like the starting lineup has all the playmaking it needs.

I don't know how anyone can suggest with a straight face Hayward needs to be in the starting lineup. He's a shell of his former self.  Watch any drive with his right hand... It's painful to see how little lift and explosion he has off his left foot.  He's a better fit with the second unit.

« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2019, 06:54:18 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
This thread is funny because before the year 90% of people were against Hayward coming off the bench and now it seems like 90% are in favor of it.

My how the turntables...
Not me, I was a huge advocate for Hayward coming off the bench.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2019, 08:46:41 AM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
It was going to take time for him to get back. Maybe the Cs themselves didn’t realize how lon fit would take when they inserted him into the starting lineup at the beginning of the year.

Either way, he appears to be getting back to form slowly but surely. The goal is to get him as close to the real Gordon Hayward as possible by April. Might be until next season until he’s back after a full Sumer of training and conditioning. Takes a while to get back from something like that.

For now, he should be running the point on the bench unit. Issue is current bench unit doesn’t have any consistent scorers atm. Which is why I hope soon Hayward will step up and fill that gonto void there.

« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2019, 08:53:45 AM »

Offline Green-18

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130

Yeah, I saw a Jazz fan on reddit today argue that the Jazz are better without Hayward, regardless of the injury.  ::)

The Jazz team begged Hayward to be more selfish with the ball. One of his defining characteristics is his unselfishness. It's his default mode, especially when roles aren't defined and he isn't confident in his game yet.

A fully healthy Hayward is going to be my favorite basketball player on this team. He's frustrating to watch right now, but it is really fun to watch guys who make the right decision with the basketball every time, and play tough, versatile defense on the other side of the court.

Couldn't agree more.  I'm really hoping we have the opportunity to see All-Star Hayward WITH playoff Horford.

« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 08:55:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not this season

His ability to drive and finish with aggression is not there (as expected)

He is trying

^ This