Author Topic: How strong is our bench?  (Read 3440 times)

Re: How strong is our bench?
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 12:18:15 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
A lineup of Rozier, Smart, Morris, Theis, and Baynes is one scary lineup defensively. Everyone is tough, competes hard, and no one in there has any fear. Morris called them BWA (bench with attitude) at media day. I think that fits.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2018, 12:41:21 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
The true strength of our bench is heightened by the strong scoring and versatility of our starting five.

We have 4 solid scoring options on the first unit. This gives the opportunity for one of these four players to play some of his minutes with the second unit as a first scoring option. 

It's a nice way of giving Brown or Tatum minutes as a first option and a road to further develop their offensive game. I can easily see either getting hot with that bench unit that normally plays strong defense.   

So answer to the original question...strong.

« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2018, 02:45:47 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 379
Great Bench.

Jamal Crawford would put us over the top.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
We have great depth at PG (Irving, Smart, Rozier) and of course epic depth at wing (Brown, Tatum, Hayward, plus Smart, Rozier, and Morris to a degree), but I don't feel that we have great depth or even top end talent with our bigs. 

Horford is legit, for sure, but after that?  Morris is probably our next best big and he is really more of a swing (although as a bench big, he is fine).  Tatum is a great player as a wing but I don't consider him a big, certainly not a good big; he is barely a swing.  So after our one really good big, our kinda big swing, and our small swing that is really a wing, we have Baynes, Theis, Ojeleye, Yabusele, and Williams. 

This is our team's weakest link.  It may not matter because we are so good in other areas but this is certainly not a "strength" of our team.  Consider for example if Horford get banged up and misses some games.  Then our stable of bigs gets really really thin.

« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2018, 05:38:17 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 867
The true strength of our bench is heightened by the strong scoring and versatility of our starting five.

We have 4 solid scoring options on the first unit. This gives the opportunity for one of these four players to play some of his minutes with the second unit as a first scoring option. 

It's a nice way of giving Brown or Tatum minutes as a first option and a road to further develop their offensive game. I can easily see either getting hot with that bench unit that normally plays strong defense.   

So answer to the original question...strong.

I seem to be the lone voice in this but I think either Hayward or Tatum should play off the bench and we can start Baynes or Theis.  Kind of like what Popovich did with Manu all those years and I guess GSW have done it with Iguodala as well, but two examples of recent championship teams not starting all their best players.  We need to spread out the scorers as stated above, why not do it right from the start.

If we do that and say Tatum comes off the bench (even though I think Gordon "gondo" Hayward would be the perfect 6th man in the footsteps of our very own Hondo), then we really do have the best bench in the league.  And our starting 5 would remain elite as well.

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We have great depth at PG (Irving, Smart, Rozier) and of course epic depth at wing (Brown, Tatum, Hayward, plus Smart, Rozier, and Morris to a degree), but I don't feel that we have great depth or even top end talent with our bigs. 

Horford is legit, for sure, but after that?  Morris is probably our next best big and he is really more of a swing (although as a bench big, he is fine).  Tatum is a great player as a wing but I don't consider him a big, certainly not a good big; he is barely a swing.  So after our one really good big, our kinda big swing, and our small swing that is really a wing, we have Baynes, Theis, Ojeleye, Yabusele, and Williams. 

This is our team's weakest link.  It may not matter because we are so good in other areas but this is certainly not a "strength" of our team.  Consider for example if Horford get banged up and misses some games.  Then our stable of bigs gets really really thin.
In reference to your concerns over our bigs depth, why do you think we need more strong bigs to contend? Our bigs are deeper than GSW (excluding the addition of DMC), Cleveland’s over the last few years and Houston’s. Most contending teams have one really strong starting big (Horford, Green, Love or Capela) and then solid role players who excel at one or two areas behind them. Like TT with his rebounding, Bogut with his defence and passing, etc.

I think we’ll be fine with Horford/Baynes/Theis/Williams/Yabu
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)