Author Topic: What about Horford?  (Read 1465 times)

Re: What about Horford?
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2016, 11:10:18 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
The Hawks aren't wanting to pay Horford this summer, so he should be decently easy to obtain.

What evidence do you have of either of these things? What I've seen and read suggests the opposite.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

Re: What about Horford?
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2016, 11:30:45 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I'd love to get Horford here. Great work ethic, solid citizen. He would fit right in.

And for a big man, age 35, which would be his age at the end of a 5 year contract is not especially onerous. In addition, his game, unlike someone like Dwight H, does not depend heavily on athleticism, so I think that he would age well.

Many point to his injury history, but that doesn't bother me. His two major injuries, which kept him sidelined for the big part of two separate seasons, were torn pecs, once on the left side and once on the right. Torn pecs are a common injury for people on PEDs. The last injury was in '13 with no recurrences, so maybe that issue, whatever the cause, has resolved itself through strength training of supporting muscles or in other ways.

My concern regarding signing with us longterm is his seeming interest in being in a large Hispanic market, which we are not.

Horford could potentially land more off-court opportunities in much stronger Spanish-speaking NBA markets in Florida, New York, Texas or California. “Atlanta has the potential for a guy like myself to maximize [the business] part of it,” Horford told Yahoo Sports. “But obviously there are other cities, bigger cities that are more appealing probably [business- and marketing-wise]. The impact would be bigger if that is what you are looking for.”

http://hoopshype.com/player/al-horford/

I guess the key phrase in that quote is "if that is what you are looking for."